Requirement? Pass a Urine Test Before Getting Public Assistance?

I don't believe that anyone should have to take a drug test unless the person drives as part of her job, cares for a child, or has another responsibility to others that drug use would effect. I don't see the point in policing average weekend recreational drug users.

well if you think about it most people on welfare have kids so i guess the drug test is a needed thing then?

I think most of the reason tax payers complain about welfare recipients wasting their money on drugs and alcohol is because it is the tax payers' money that supports welfare. Most people don't really care how others live but they do care how their tax money is spent.

The truth is, any time a person or group accepts government money, there are strings attached. If a person or group doesn't want to be "controlled" by government they have to turn down that money. It might be a hard choice but that's it.

:cold:

well if you think about it most people on welfare have kids so i guess the drug test is a needed thing then?

Oh yeah, let's give drug tests to non-welfare parents as well. Fill 'em up!

I don't believe that anyone should have to take a drug test unless the person drives as part of her job, cares for a child, or has another responsibility to others that drug use would effect. I don't see the point in policing average weekend recreational drug users.

Agreed 100%. If their drug use is a problem, it will become evident without a urine screen.

In family law, a parent is not tested unless the parent consents (commonly both parents will agree to drug testing in a custody case) or someone convinces the judge that there is evidence that a parent has a serious drug problem (more than casual use). I don't envision a large scale testing program designed to catch casual drinkers or drug users. That's what I intended to communicate.

Plenty of parents drink alcohol while children are in their care. Alcohol is the most commonly abused and socially accepted drug. The drunk mother's SUV crash killing her children and nieces is the tragic result of serious drug use. She chose to drive with the kids in the care without caring about the consequences (typical drug addict behavior). If someone knows that a parent has a drinking problem they should report it to child protective services so that parent can get appropriate treatment and the children can be protected in the mean time. My state has a mandatory reporting law that applies to ALL adults.

I'm not concerned about casual weekend users. I'm concerned about parents with a serious drug problem that impairs their ability to care for a child. These are the people who end up before the courts. The courts are overwhelmed enough dealing with these parents. Hope that makes my comment clearer.

I would love to see mandatory reporting extended to ALL adults. My state has it limited to a few professionals. And I definately take my mandate seriously. I also do parent assessments for cases that have gone to children's services for drug issues or for abuse.

You raise an excellent point there. I can see the potential for lawsuits considering what both Saywhatkid and Sallylou say...

On a personal level, I would find it very offensive if I had to take a drug test if my job didn't require me to care for the the sick or the young or to drive a company car or truck and I've used illegal drugs exactly once in my life. I'd also be very offended if I were required to take one of those tests to get public assistance.

My agency reserves the right to test in cases where drug use is suspected based on behaviors, work performance, etc. But they don't do randoms. And then, they offer treatment instead of dismissal.

They should only have to be tested if they have a criminal record. Otherwise, everybody is made out to be a criminal if they have to be tested for it.

Guilty until proven innocent.

Oh man.... I feel your pain brother but the reality is that's how the system works. I like how you think though. I wonder how many people on welfare would fail the drug test.

I wonder how many upper class professionals would fail the test?

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them?
YES!! I agree with you 100%!

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them?
YES!! I agree with you 100%!

Most employers pays for the drug test. To get Food stamps YOU have to come up with the money.

Most employers pays for the drug test. To get Food stamps YOU have to come up with the money.

And how ironic is that?

Another problem I have with this is that it propogates the misinformation that the biggest number of drug users are in the lower income brackets and live off public assistance.

And how ironic is that?

Another problem I have with this is that it propogates the misinformation that the biggest number of drug users are in the lower income brackets and live off public assistance.

I agree. Poor people are viewed as trash by the public. Now they are viewed as junkies living off of public assistance.

In the military, everyone is tested so no one feels profiled or discriminated against.

I wonder how many upper class professionals would fail the test?
If they are applying for welfare benefits, they would be tested, too. If they fail the test, they don't get the benefits.

I agree. Poor people are viewed as trash by the public. Now they are viewed as junkies living off of public assistance.
On the contrary. If the public knew that welfare beneficiaries had to pass drug screening in order to collect those benefits, then they would be reassured that they are NOT junkies.

And how ironic is that?

They reason they would be tested is because they applied for welfare benefits. If they weren't living off public assistance, they wouldn't need to be tested.

Supposing that the well-to-do money makers use the most drugs, then they aren't getting welfare benefits either, so why would they be tested?

They should only have to be tested if they have a criminal record. Otherwise, everybody is made out to be a criminal if they have to be tested for it.
No. Testing is exclusionary. It identifies those who are using the drugs, and clears those who are not.

One can be addicted to drugs prior to getting a criminal record, so that proves nothing. Also, some people who have never used drugs have criminal records for breaking other laws.

The only fair way is to test everyone so that no one is targeted.

On the contrary. If the public knew that welfare beneficiaries had to pass drug screening in order to collect those benefits, then they would be reassured that they are NOT junkies.

Guess Jillio is right... Guilty 'til proven innocent. :( You just proved that point.

Back