Votes: 48 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 23 25.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As matter of fact I did read that thread, and yet I did not see Alex making such a decision about changing the name in that forum until you brought it up to his attention and even listing the names on your own without thinking or discussing this along with other members here, that's how I saw it and I also agree with Vampy's post as well too...

Please read it again. I included some of members' suggestions on that poll. I also asked any members to come up new name ideas which wasn't on that poll. That poll isn't officially decided. It is seen like GLBT Lounge is popular name to re-name The Closet so far.

Please read it again. I included some of members' suggestions on that poll. I also asked any members to come up new name ideas which wasn't on that poll. That poll isn't officially decided. It is seen like GLBT Lounge is popular name to re-name The Closet so far.

You already created the poll on your own and it wasn't enough time or a chance for people to throw in their ideas or suggestions before the poll was created and also I didn't see their ideas or suggestion being added on the poll listing either so like I said... you didn't waited but went ahead anyways with the listing of names that you liked and that didn't sound fair to me at all, that's just my opinon, no hard feelings here :) ....

You already created the poll on your own and it wasn't enough time or a chance for people to throw in their ideas or suggestions before the poll was created and also I didn't see their ideas or suggestion being added on the poll listing either so like I said... you didn't waited but went ahead anyways with the listing of names that you liked and that didn't sound fair to me at all, that's just my opinon, no hard feelings here :) ....

Actually I waited for a several weeks before I created this poll. Few names that some members suggested sounds not professional or inappropriate like this "Yep! I am gay!" or "Wet Lounge" or something like that. However, not many people bought up the ideas. That is something that we all have to use ours common senses to pick the names that is more appropriate and respectful. I'm sorry that you're very fall behind of this issue.

Last edited:
Actually I waited for a several weeks before I created this poll. Few names that some members suggested sounds not professional or inappropriate like this "Yep! I am gay!" or "Wet Lounge" or something like that. However, not many people bought up the ideas. That is something that we all have to use ours common senses to pick the names that is more inappropriate and respectful. I'm sorry that you're very fall behind of this issue.

Yeah I see that, Thanks for filling me in on this issue I appreciate it :)

The only problem I see with changing the name is what name do we change it to?

As suggest GBLT Lounge suggests that it is ONLY for the Gay Bi Lesbian and Transgendered community.

We need a name that suggests that ANYONE is welcome. While I may not GBLT that does not mean that I dont support the issues. Many of us do have family members that are GBLT. I myself, have two cousins that are GBLT members. I support their rights to being married if they so wish or whatever else they want.

However, I do not see ethat a forum named GLBT Lounge is very welcoming for someone who is NOT GLBT.

Im trying very hard here to post in a respectful manner and if you feel offended by anything I say then please dont go off on me, explain to me why it is offensive to you. Not all of us can understand that something we may say is considered offensive.

I feel the closet is inappropriate too as it suggests that we are trying to keep our GLBT in the closet and not out in the open.

Many of you also have to remember that while we may not like it, many of us were raised in a generation where it was not openly discussed. And if you were GBLT, you definitely didnt let others know it. My generation was alot like that. So you have to remember that it is a new concept for us, and while we are *adjusting* to this concept and trying to accept it. To push it on us is also wrong. Change is not about push, it is about education, and helping others to accept. When I visited my cousins, they were very careful about what they did in front of me at first, when I asked them why. They simply said because they realized that when I was growing up that it wasnt so open and that they wanted me to get used to the idea of them being with same sex partners. I thought that was great! I really respected them for that and by the time the visit was over, I was very comfortable around them and they were openly expressing affection for their partners after a few days.

So my point to that is, being so in your face and pushing can have a negative effect. Whereas, my cousins had a we will let you get used to us first attitude, and it had a very positive effect on me.

By being pushy about why this and that, and how the name is offensive, try to remember it can have a *turn-off* effect and actually make it to where someone would not be willing to support you in your causes.

I say we change the name to something that is all inclusionary and not suggesting that it is for the GBLT community only.

I would like to feel welcome to pop in here and lend my support to especially the right to marraige cause!

Call it the "Rainbow Lagoon" it's politically safe.

Richard
I like that! But at the same time... not very mature, it's kinda kidish... what if some gays or lesbians do not identify with the rainbow? I know I don't at all....

the closet

Hi :wave: I have just join but i read this thread and wanted to say that I found you all by the title "the closet" so there are some +'s for the name though I would have clicked on GBLT or other reconisible term that is often seen.

I, personally, dont' care what "they" call it. I know and accept that the majority rules. I will not submit unto the rules that they abide blindly.

The Closet denotes that the GLBT community should be hidden and that the GLBT community should be taught/enforced to be hidden. For that reasoning, I do not find the category's title to be appropriate (understandably straight and not appropriate).

It is more important for me that folks get together and have the opportunity to share ideas and thoughts. AllDeaf (a spectrum that includes those who are - for some reason(s) - strongly biased and those who are - for some reason(s) - strongly in favor) retains the right to cater to those who number the most. It's no science; it's common sense.

I would have not chosen "The Closet" as a title for an international forum. If I did, I'd want to give the impression that those were homosexual were not welcome. I do not know who advised to create that category's title.

It is important that those who had spent thier earlier lives within "the closet" that they can laugh at the continuing self-deception that others want to believe in. All know that if you continue to live in "the closet," you perpetuate the common myths that were drilled into everyone since birth.

Let us laugh at the category's title: "The Closet" Let us be reminded from where we came . . . and why we must continue fight to make Reason the norm.

id rename it peanut butter jelly time! nah seriously I think the name could be changed though what could really be a better name and still be a good name for title

Ok, I'm going to say something here first time on this thread.

why not GLBT?

For the title, "The Closet"-> It's like someone is hiding in the closet and not telling everyone that you're gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. I'm not hiding in the closet. nothing wrong with that title "GLBT". that's my opinion.

When will the results for this poll/thread be finalized? This thread was born in May of 2007?

PM either Alex or one of mods. They wield the powers to appease gay folks here.

Re-name it!!

"The closet" is an insult, my opinon. GBLT is the way better. ;)

how about "the Village" (yes the lowercase of 'the' is intentional) which is another name for Greenwich Village in NYC.

In recent days, the Village has maintained its role as a center for movements which have challenged the wider American culture: for example, its role in the gay liberation movement. It contains Christopher Street and the Stonewall Inn, important landmarks, as well as the world's oldest gay and lesbian bookstore, Oscar Wilde Bookshop, founded in 1967.
source: Greenwich Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

how bout flaming rainbow warriors im not trying to be rude, that is an awesome name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back