Remembering the girl who inspired Gallaudet

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Remembering the girl who inspired Gallaudet - The Washington Post

A big bronze statue of Alice Cogswell and Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet sits near the entrance of Gallaudet University in Washington.

Alice’s right thumb rests next to the fingers of her little fist, and she clutches a book to her heart, with the alphabet running across the page. Beside her, Gallaudet has his thumb resting on his closed fist, too.

They are practicing the letter “A” of American Sign Language, one of the ways millions of people who are deaf or hard of hearing “speak” to one another. The “A” is both the beginning of the alphabet and the beginning of Alice’s story.

Every April 15, on the anniversary of the founding of the first permanent school for the deaf in the United States, people remember Alice.

“You could say she changed America,” said Danielle Yearout, a spokeswoman for the the elementary school on the college campus.

The Cogswell and Gallaudet families were neighbors in Connecticut when 27-year-old Thomas noticed Alice standing by quietly as other kids were outside playing. Because she couldn’t hear, Alice had never learned to speak. She couldn’t understand the games they were playing, and they couldn’t understand her.

But her eyes were alive, Gallaudet later said. So, he quietly sat near her and smiled, and put his hat on the ground beside 9-year-old Alice.

Pointing to it, with a stick he wrote the letters H, A, and T in the dirt. He took his hat away, and wrote the letters again, and she pointed to his hat.

Alice understood, and she could learn to communicate, Gallaudet told her father. With the blessing of her father, Thomas became Alice’s first teacher. But he soon realized that writing words and pointing to things wasn’t enough to satisfy Alice’s hunger for knowledge.

With support from her dad and others, Thomas went to study at a famous school for the deaf in Paris and brought back its star teacher, Laurent Clerc. Together on April 15, 1817, they opened in Hartford, Connecticut, the first permanent school for the deaf in America, an idea that soon spread to all the states.

Gallaudet University was chartered in Washington in 1864 — Abraham Lincoln signed the paperwork — and the statue of Alice and Thomas was unveiled in 1889 for the world’s only college for the deaf and hard of hearing.

“We get visitors from all over America and from around the world,” said Yearout. “And they start their campus tour and end their campus tour with Alice.”

I love that statue - I've seen that statue at least 3x in my life, during my travels to America - did you know that the same person who created the Lincoln president memorial in D.C?

Well, I really, really hope "anti-Deaf" people don't try to make this an another "lie." Like what they did with Milan 1880... Sighs. :roll:

I love that statue - I've seen that statue at least 3x in my life, during my travels to America - did you know that the same person who created the Lincoln president memorial in D.C?

No, I didn't know that, but it is an interesting fact.

No, I didn't know that, but it is an interesting fact.

Yes, if you notice the famous Abraham Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C., you should notice his hands: One is in the "A" handshape and the other is in the "L" handshape. I have not seen either statue in real life, but I know them when I see pictures of them. :wave:

This person, was he/she deaf or knew ASL or something? I mean, including the handspell of A and L in this massive memorial must mean something more than doing it for the look and style?

This person, was he/she deaf or knew ASL or something? I mean, including the handspell of A and L in this massive memorial must mean something more than doing it for the look and style?
I'll just leave it to the deaf americans to accredit the answer to you. Since I am australian.
However.....the president at the time, was very supportive of the deaf community until Lincoln was assassinated

I'll just leave it to the deaf americans to accredit the answer to you. Since I am australian.
However.....the president at the time, was very supportive of the deaf community until Lincoln was assassinated

If I am correct one of Abraham Lincoln's close family members was deaf. I could be wrong but I remember reading about it somewhere.

Abraham Lincoln
(2/12/1809—4/15/1865)

Signer of Gallaudet University’s Enabling Act

One of President Lincoln’s many accomplishments was his supportive role in the founding of Gallaudet University, the collegiate department of Columbia Institution for the Deaf and Dumb and the Blind (its original name), which was created by an act of Congress. Its original charter was signed on February 16, 1857, by President Franklin Pierce. On April 8, 1864, towards the end of his first term and during the Civil War (on the same day that part of General Nathaniel Banks’ Union army was defeated by a Confederate force under Richard Taylor’s command at Sabine Crossroads in Mansfield, Louisiana), Lincoln signed the Enabling Act authorizing the Columbia Institution to grant postsecondary degrees—marking the first such opportunity for deaf students in the world. This wasn't strictly necessary from a legalistic point of view, but was something that E. M. Gallaudet wanted for his fledgling school. To this day, the sitting President serves as patron of Gallaudet University, and Charter Day is celebrated annually on campus with a festive awards banquet

Abraham Lincoln

That's absolutely not true. The statute does not form an "L" in any way on the hands.

Lincoln Memorial Address

dddzsx.jpg
:hmm:

That's absolutely not true. The statute does not form an "L" in any way on the hands.

Lincoln Memorial Address
I'm sorry but this man has shown a lot of support to the deaf community during his presidency and from my perspective with these ASL symbols on him, represents him in part of his history - doesn't matter if he does know ASL or not.

Created in what context? If it was the sculptor, Daniel Chester French, I can say he went to MIT!!! ^_^ <3 (but dropped out later on)

Created in what context? If it was the sculptor, Daniel Chester French, I can say he went to MIT!!! ^_^ <3 (but dropped out later on)

That's the guy! We are learning more all the time. :wave:

Back