Remembering the girl who inspired Gallaudet

I'm sorry but this man has shown a lot of support to the deaf community during his presidency and from my perspective with these ASL symbols on him, represents him in part of his history - doesn't matter if he does know ASL or not.
The L handshape is a bit weak? Do we have evidence that it's A and L, and not a coincidence?

The L handshape is a bit weak? Do we have evidence that it's A and L, and not a coincidence?
This might help

Source link: Lincoln Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...Another popular legend is that Lincoln is shown using sign language to represent his initials, with his left hand shaped to form an A and his right hand to form an L, the president's initials. The National Park Service denies both stories, calling them urban legends.[9]

However, historian Gerald Prokopowicz writes that, while it is not clear that sculptor Daniel Chester French intended Lincoln's hands to be formed into sign language versions of his initials, it is possible that French did intend it, because he was familiar with American Sign Language, and he would have had a reason to do so, that is, to pay tribute to Lincoln for having signed the federal legislation giving Gallaudet University, a university for the deaf, the authority to grant college degrees.[10] The National Geographic Society's publication, "Pinpointing the Past in Washington, D.C." states that Daniel Chester French had a son who was deaf and that the sculptor was familiar with sign language.[11][12] Historian James A. Percoco has observed that, although there are no extant documents showing that French had Lincoln's hands carved to represent the letters "A" and "L" in American Sign Language, "I think you can conclude that it's reasonable to have that kind of summation about the hands."[13]

Back