Reflexive Pronoun use

J'explique

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this thread should fall under our world, our culture category because it is intending to be for English writing help. I'm not sure if creative writing is part of English help, either. Moderators, feel free to move it if you feel where it fits under whatever category.

Anyway, I'm working on my paper for class using MS word. I am almost done with my final draft, but there was a grammar error and it says Reflexive Pronoun use, what is the meaning of that? And is their own safety considered reflexive pronoun?

I googled and found it:

(1) They act as intensifiers, following a noun or pronoun as would any appositive:

--I myself wrote that check.
--I wrote that check myself.
--She assured us that she herself would lock the building.
--She assured us that she would lock the building herself.

(2) They are more commonly used, however, as objects of verbs, verbals (e.g., infinitives), or prepositions when the receiver of the action or the object of the preposition is the same as the subject of the verb in the clause:

--I gave myself a treat.
--Before the meeting, she allowed herself time to get to the office and park her car.
--In every town we visited, she bought lavish gifts for her children and herself.
--We voted to give ourselves a raise this year.

I know I don't like to discuss about written English because I don't feel comfortable discussing about it. I feel it's still my weakness but I always do my best to improve my writing skills everyday! English is not my first language, obviously.

So I should change it from their own safety to protecting themselves? No?

Thanks for the input if you will.

wow! that's pretty heady question. I have a hard time remembering what pronoun is!!!!

I hate English. It doesn't make sense to me at all!

Reflexives

J'explique,

You write English better than I write French, and I've tried to speak and write better French a lot longer than you've even been around.

A reflective acts like a mirror to bounce the objective pronoun (normally placed after the verb) back to the subject of the sentence (normally coming before the verb). The examples you cited are correct.

To answer your question, "their own safety" in itself may not be reflexive. If you will please write the entire sentence in question, including its capital letter and punctuation, I'll return the edit to you right away.

Chase

Last edited:
"They act as intensifiers, following a noun or pronoun as would any appositive.

They are more commonly used, however, as objects of verbs, verbals (e.g., infinitives), or prepositions when the receiver of the action or the object of the preposition is the same as the subject of the verb in the clause"

:confused::confused: I don't understand these at all.

But I found the information in the link helpful:

A reflexive pronoun is a special kind of pronoun. It is usually used when the object of a sentence is the same as the subject, as you will see below. Each personal pronoun (I, you, she, etc.) has its own reflexive form. This introduction will explain what the different forms of reflexive pronouns are, and when they are used.

The forms of reflexive pronouns
Personal pronoun = I, reflexive pronoun = myself
Personal pronoun = you (singular), reflexive pronoun = yourself
Personal pronoun = you (plural), reflexive pronoun = yourselves
Personal pronoun = he, reflexive pronoun = himself
Personal pronoun = she, reflexive pronoun = herself
Personal pronoun = it, reflexive pronoun = itself
Personal pronoun = we, reflexive pronoun = ourselves
Personal pronoun = they, reflexive pronoun = themselves

When to use a reflexive pronoun:

Reflexive pronouns are used in three main situations:
1. When the subject and object are the same:
"I hurt myself."
"The band call themselves "Dire Straits"."
"He shot himself."

2. As the object of a preposition, referring to the subject:
"I bought a present for myself."
"She did it by herself (=alone)."
"That man is talking to himself."

3. When you want to emphasize the subject:
"I'll do it myself. (No-one else will help me.)"
"They ate all the food themselves. (No-one else had any.)"

"Their own safety"? Maybe "they protected themselves". But maybe not "their own safety" because the subject is "they" and the object is "safety" so not the same(rule 1), and they don't refer to they - they refer to safety (rule 2), and no emphasis (rule 3).

---

You wrote: "I know I don't like to discuss about written English because I don't feel comfortable discussing about it.

I don't like discussing written English also. I wish AD had a part just for English questions (speech and writing). Yesterday I decided I must work on my writing and discuss questions more - I have been lazy and careless and embarassed about writing. So I try to answer, but I am guessing and am horrible with English. I never heard of "reflexive pronoun" before. :dunno2:

I am glad you started the discussion. :)

J'explique,

I think right now you don't need an extensive lecture; instead you need your specific question answered or the problem solved.

In fact, you may not really have a problem. Microsoft Word is nororious for flagging something that is isn't really wrong -- just not meeting its model criteria. Also, Word's grammar check is a robot function, and as such sometimes is only suggesting "something" should be looked at closer.

Let's take care of the problem first, then discuss its ins and outs.

Please write out the entire sentence.

Chase (not a robot grammar checker)

J'explique,

I think right now you don't need an extensive lecture; instead you need your specific question answered or the problem solved.

In fact, you may not really have a problem. Microsoft Word is nororious for flagging something that is isn't really wrong -- just not meeting its model criteria. Also, Word's grammar check is a robot function, and as such sometimes is only suggesting "something" should be looked at closer.

Let's take care of the problem first, then discuss its ins and outs.

Please write out the entire sentence.

Chase (not a robot grammar checker)
:gpost:

You're right; what might "technically" be a grammatical error to MS Word could actually be an intentional construction for emphasis or "flavor".

Yes, we need to see at least the whole sentence for context.

I know MS does not do good job with grammars accurately, but that was the first time I've ever seen this word of Reflexive Pronoun. I was like, huh what is this? :confused:

I know about Myself, himself, herself, and list goes on but had no idea what it's called.

My original sentence was way too abstract, here it is.

Crime scene investigation may be very important job but it is also dangerous. It is very important for anyone who is working as an investigator to take safety training courses, so that way they are aware of ways to protect their safety.

No need to correct my grammar, I already did it with the help of several tutors. This was my old draft. I know the last sentence was pretty weak. The sentence I am talking about is also underlined. Notice there is no reflexive pronoun use, unlike MS said it and considers revising it. I changed the grammar and emphasized more about safety training courses.

I know MS does not do good job with grammars accurately, but that was the first time I've ever seen this word of Reflexive Pronoun. I was like, huh what is this? :confused:

I know about Myself, himself, herself, and list goes on but had no idea what it's called.

I never saw the word "reflexive pronoun" also.

My original sentence was way too abstract, here it is.

Crime scene investigation may be very important job but it is also dangerous. It is very important for anyone who is working as an investigator to take safety training courses, so that way they are aware of ways to protect their safety.

No need to correct my grammar, I already did it with the help of several tutors. This was my old draft. I know the last sentence was pretty weak. The sentence I am talking about is also underlined. Notice there is no reflexive pronoun use, unlike MS said it and considers revising it. I changed the grammar and emphasized more about safety training courses.

:applause: I am glad you finished your paper - seems interesting!

Does anyone also think a part on AD about English writing or speech would be helpful? Or too much negatives?

:ty:

J'explique, I'm glad you got the help you needed. I have several degrees in English, and I'm always seeking help from other writers. My problem is usually the same as yours. The passage is okay, but I need to make it stronger.

The real problem in the last sentence which I think Word's grammatic tried to signal was that "they" and "them" are plural, both being used to reflect back to singular "anyone." They all need to be singular or plural. To avoid the cumbersome "his or her," just change the singular "anyone who is working as an investigator" phrase to plural "people who are working as investigators."

Those subtlties are hard for native speakers, much less those writing in their second language.

I'm sure your tutors helped out by recasting the sentence.

J'explique, I'm glad you got the help you needed. I have several degrees in English, and I'm always seeking help from other writers. My problem is usually the same as yours. The passage is okay, but I need to make it stronger.

The real problem in the last sentence which I think Word's grammatic tried to signal was that "they" and "them" are plural, both being used to reflect back to singular "anyone." They all need to be singular or plural. To avoid the cumbersome "his or her," just change the singular "anyone who is working as an investigator" phrase to plural "people who are working as investigators."

Those subtlties are hard for native speakers, much less those writing in their second language.

I'm sure your tutors helped out by recasting the sentence.
Yeah, every since political correctness dumped that good all-purpose "he" from sentences, we've ended up with some awkward constructions. :D

Thanks you all for the feedbacks! My latest revised paper was very strong compared to my first draft. My teacher accepted it in no time.

Chase, thanks for the tips on singulars and plurals. I'll try to remember them next time I do the paper.

A place to ask questions about spelling, punctuation, and grammar

Does anyone also think a part on AD about English writing or speech would be helpful? Or too much negatives?
:ty:

Kaitin, I think a place at AllDeaf to ask questions about the how-tos of English is a terrific idea. An open forum will provide several opinions for balance.

I can't for the life of me figure negatives to providing helps when needed.

For that matter, I've never understood the dislike of English teachers. We don't make up the rules. We just explain the rules which were developed over centuries by the people who used the language.

I hope the moderators decide to make a place for each language spoken by our members.

Kaitin, I think a place at AllDeaf to ask questions about the how-tos of English is a terrific idea. An open forum will provide several opinions for balance.

I can't for the life of me figure negatives to providing helps when needed.

For that matter, I've never understood the dislike of English teachers. We don't make up the rules. We just explain the rules which were developed over centuries by the people who used the language.

I hope the moderators decide to make a place for each language spoken by our members.

I hope AD starts a place for English questions. :fingersx: I agree about no negatives for help. If someone asks for help, negatives are not helpful.

I don't dislike English teachers - my mom teaches English (I know - my writing doesn't reveal :roll:)! I had some great English teachers before college (again - doesn't reveal probably :roll: again). I only dislike one Math professor, but because he was a rude person, not because he taught anything. A person who explains any rules with kindness- about writing, Math, Physics, bees :) etc) - I appreciate.

We asked for a part on AD about English in this thread started by Reba. Maybe if more people post and ask AD will add or reply.

Back