Recent statements by Catholic church about bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
RedFox said:
...why there are so many churches and religions and about what the Catholic church just said about parts of the bible not literally being true.
The broad quick answer is, because people, not God, create religions, and people are not infallible. Christians need to stay focused on God and His Word, not on denominations, trends, or popular leaders.

How can you believe Jesus was a "good teacher" if you snear at His teachings? It is not logical.
Where did I say that I sneer or look down on Jesus' teachings? It may appear to YOU that I am looking down on Jesus' teachings b/c I don't believe that He was THE Savouir. But, I don't......I simply view Jesus as a Teacher, on a par with Confucious, Budda,

Cyberred.....You still didn't answer my question. You're just saying that it's a sin b/c God says so......
There ARE Christian Churches WHICH DON"T think it's a sin......It's not just ME.....the United Churches of Christ, Metropolition Community Churches, for example DON"T see it as a sin.
How can something that feels so good, that brings me closer to knowing God's Love, be a SIN?
THAT is how GLB people recoincile their beliefs with their sexuality.
Read some books or writings written by GLB Christians......I think your mind will be opened.

deafdyke said:
Cyberred.....You still didn't answer my question. You're just saying that it's a sin b/c God says so......
There ARE Christian Churches WHICH DON"T think it's a sin......It's not just ME.....the United Churches of Christ, Metropolition Community Churches, for example DON"T see it as a sin.
How can something that feels so good, that brings me closer to knowing God's Love, be a SIN?
THAT is how GLB people recoincile their beliefs with their sexuality.
Read some books or writings written by GLB Christians......I think your mind will be opened.

Let me summary up with my absolute report for the gay world. "Gay people are Terrorists." They are terrorists because they destroys our respect to the marriage, family, straight people's life and moral value. We gave respect to them but gay people don't give respect back to the straight people. Therefore they are terrorists to the straight world. WE (straight) must drive them (gay) OUT!

With my report about gay also that applies to the churches. Many churches are really afraid to lose their members to other church because they will lose their 1/10 salaries. Therefore the church leaders agrees to follow the gay people's pleasure needs better than following the Bible. That is how the gay people destroys our church's value against the gay people. By the way those churches that do for gay people are pragmatic church or "user-friendly" church.

You can go ahead block me or hate me or despite me for my quote against the gay world. God commands me to despite gay world and put the aim to gospel them and hopefully the holy spirit will pierces their heart to repent from gay life to straight life and walk with Lord. (That means despite the gay world but love those sinners for what they don't know what they are doing)

Reba said:
The broad quick answer is, because people, not God, create religions, and people are not infallible. Christians need to stay focused on God and His Word, not on denominations, trends, or popular leaders.

I agree 100 percent with this statement. :gpost:

Reba said:

If people created religions, did they create Christianity too? I've seen Christians call it a relationship with their god instead of a religion. People could have different meanings of what relgions are. If religions are systems of beliefs that involve a god or gods, Christianity would be a religion. Systems of beliefs would include those spelled out in the bible, which is called the word of god by Christians. It seems to me that Christians want to distance themselves away from other religions by calling theirs a relationship and others religions.

Crazymanw00t said:
Let me summary up with my absolute report for the gay world. "Gay people are Terrorists." They are terrorists because they destroys our respect to the marriage, family, straight people's life and moral value. We gave respect to them but gay people don't give respect back to the straight people. Therefore they are terrorists to the straight world. WE (straight) must drive them (gay) OUT!

That is painting all gay people with one big brush. To be sure if what you said about gay people is true for all of them, you would have to actually meet and talk to all of them. I've met gay people who welcome straight people who support them. The gay organizations at RIT welcomes straight people. They are called straight allies. They even plan an entire week of activities related to straight allies each year. They don't look like they're terrorizing the straight people who support them.
I met a married gay couple and it didn't destroy my respect for married hetrosexual couples, families, straight people's lives and moral values.
Maybe you noticed only the vocal people. Can you give examples? There would always be bad people in any group. To get to know the good ones, don't be so prejudged against all gay people. When you stop thinking that every member of a group is evil, you become more able to see the good people.

Crazymanw00t said:
With my report about gay also that applies to the churches. Many churches are really afraid to lose their members to other church because they will lose their 1/10 salaries. Therefore the church leaders agrees to follow the gay people's pleasure needs better than following the Bible. That is how the gay people destroys our church's value against the gay people. By the way those churches that do for gay people are pragmatic church or "user-friendly" church.
Those churches adapt to their populations so they can keep members. If they continue being rigid and unchanging in the face of changing times, they'd lose members unless they take measures like allowing no outside marriages. So, it's between keeping the church alive, but adapting to the times, staying rigid and approaching zero population, or ending up with a small inbreeding group.
The Catholic church had changed with the times. Before, it claimed that the earth was in the center of the universe. What was learned about the universe showed that to be wrong. The recent statements by the bishops said that the first eleven chapters of Genesis were not literal. That is a reflection on how studies of the natural world gave us more information about what's out there. What the church is adapting to is our improved pictures of what's out there, in reality.
The same is happening on social fronts with gay people. People are realizing that gay people are not all evil. Rather, there are good, bad and in between people in all groups. So, they have respect more respect for people by not automatically labeling them as evil because of a little thing like who they love.

Crazymanw00t said:
You can go ahead block me or hate me or despite me for my quote against the gay world. God commands me to despite gay world and put the aim to gospel them and hopefully the holy spirit will pierces their heart to repent from gay life to straight life and walk with Lord. (That means despite the gay world but love those sinners for what they don't know what they are doing)

Where is the commad coming from? If it's from the bible verses about gays, remember that the bible can't automatically be taken as true just because the bible itself said so, as discussed before. So, critically evaluate such things, including whether a loving god would have written such hateful things, without thinking that they must automatically be true no matter what. If the catholic bishops and the bible scholars say that some things in the bible aren't true, that's something because it takes years to become a bishop and a long time to learn as much as a bible scholar knows, giving plenty of time to those people to think about the truth of different parts of the bible.

deafdyke said:
Yes, but Cyberred, WHERE is the sin? HOW is it a sin? I understand 100% WHY and HOW the major sins/transgressions against God (meaning the Ten Commandment stuff) dishonor Him. BUT, how does love between two consenting people hurt Him? Do you believe that God looks at biracial couples and says that there love is a sin or wrong or bad? There are a lot of people who say that's true....I doubt you think that way....BUT why do you think that two people of the same sex is wrong? Can you explain WHY it's a sin?
Like killing someone.....hurts another human beyond repair, comitting adultery with someone hurts them emotionally, and so on and so on......
Cyberred.....homosexuality MAY be a sin......but then again, so is a lot of other things. Did you know that wearing mixed fabrics is a sin according to the Bible? I think if it IS a sin, it's probaly a MINOR sin on the par of telling a lie or whatever.

Ok, DeafDyke I will answer to your questions. You asked me "WHERE is the sin?" The sin is havin' a relationship/engage with the SAME sex.
God's Image don't reveal the same sex when He first created Adam and Eve, the OPPOSITE sex - NOT the same sex. That's what the scriptures pointed - that scriptures are God's Word to tell it what is sin. It has nothin' to do with the race or biracial or bein' deaf with hearin' or whatsoever. It's about the behaviour that's involved in sin. The colour of skin ( race ) don't behave anythin'. It's just color.
If, your askin' me that a black man goes with a white woman ( or a black woman goes with a white man ) is sin. I will tell you it is not, because they are the opposite sex and God still bless them ( of course, if they are married ).

DeafDyke : How is it that you explain if, Jesus is involved with another man ? If, He is involved with another man - then, we will not be able to enter the Kingdom of God...neither will this earth be made by Him, because of an error or distortion against His Image and Creation. Can you pour a pepsi coke along with the other milk in a glass and drink them ? Does it taste good ? I know you will probably say "Ewww" that's gross.... Well, same idea with God's Image, it will not look right when it comes to the same sex, killin', committin' adultery, and what sin is out there.
God's Mind is very Pure and Holy. His Holy is always perfect. He even knows the numbers of your head ( hair ). He even knows how DIRTY each person's heart is, because of sins. It's about an action, the behaviour - their deeds God talk about, not their appearances or the color of the skin. It's about the behaviour itself and, what is right in the Eyes of God.

Ok, if people don't follow and obey God what the scripture says - then, their consequences will follow them ( in another word, their sins will catch up with them ). That consequences or sins will destroy them on their own ( bad karma, I would say ). They pay their own prices for their misdeeds/misbehaviour/disobedience.

Ok, now I am askin' you a question : How come is that the same sex DON'T see God's point about homosexual/lesbian is sin when they still stay with it ? Why chose it without change ? And, of course you may tell me that they do love God and follow God and so on, but I still don't see it - because, they still live with the same sex and it's always there. Same goes with the people who have bad habits like committin' adultery, or beatin' their wives, or problem with drinkin', or whatever - all of them are sins, but once they give up their life to God after they repent - they don't do them no more. They will have a NEW life with God - a NEW relationship with Jesus. Jesus will change that person 100% different from the "old" self. That "old" self means their "old" ways. They will experience God's wonderful relationship with them. They will experience God's Joy and Peace. And, of course they will experience a new heart.

I even share my testimonies with one Christian friend about my life and how God changed me. She shed her tears with happiness. She even admitted to me that I am very brave to go through all this all by myself. I told her that God is always with me where ever I go - 24/7. I should've been killed in many places that I traveled to and from. I travel alone with only 2 baggages. I took the risk with my faith, but God is always soo good to me and He is with me. I could feel His protection. On April 3rd, next year I will be flyin' out of Iowa. God will be with me on that day like He always is. He will never leave me nor forsaken me. In Alaska, I will share God's Word with deaf people there. And, even I do admit that I have seen some people from this AD despised me so much, but I just move on. Jesus is my best friend and always will be. :)

Crazymanw00t said:

*ahem* You claim yet to be Christian and you talk that way? You giving Christians people a bad name, Didn't Jesus teach you that you are supposed to have sympathy (When others are happy, You suppose to be happy for them), forgiveness,( Get rid of all the bitterness, rage, anger and harsh words) acceptance (You must allow for each other's faults and forgive who offends you) and love others.

It's not about you, It's about them, Why does it effect your life if they are homosexual? It doesn't, you just want it to effect your life, because it bothers you. Keep it peace. We don't need another worthless war over this.

Crazymanw00 said:
With my report about gay also that applies to the churches.

Sorry to disappointing you, But Churches are for everyone, (Every Believer, regardless of race, gender or political status) It's the door of faith, Where they tell all people about Jesus, That's what Jesus would want us to do, tell the world about him. ;)

Cheri said:
*ahem* You claim yet to be Christian and you talk that way? You giving Christians people a bad name, Didn't Jesus teach you that you are supposed to have sympathy (When others are happy, You suppose to be happy for them), forgiveness,( Get rid of all the bitterness, rage, anger and harsh words) acceptance (You must allow for each other's faults and forgive who offends you) and love others.

Only thing I can be happy with them when they are repenting their sinful life. That way I can be happy with them because they glorify God. Christian cannot be happy with them when they put God in vain. _-For example Gay Christian. They are fighting against Lord because of their gay life-_ We only can forgive them when they repent. if they don't repent and we cannot forgive. We only can be acceptance when they are in struggle of repenting.

deafdyke said:
Where did I say that I sneer or look down on Jesus' teachings? It may appear to YOU that I am looking down on Jesus' teachings b/c I don't believe that He was THE Savouir. But, I don't......I simply view Jesus as a Teacher, on a par with Confucious, Budda...
OK, let me rephrase that.
If you believe that Jesus was a teacher, do you believe that He taught the truth, or do you believe that He was lying?

Do you believe Confucious taught the truth?

Do you believe Buddha taught the truth?

RedFox said:
If people created religions, did they create Christianity too? I've seen Christians call it a relationship with their god instead of a religion. People could have different meanings of what relgions are. If religions are systems of beliefs that involve a god or gods, Christianity would be a religion. Systems of beliefs would include those spelled out in the bible, which is called the word of god by Christians. It seems to me that Christians want to distance themselves away from other religions by calling theirs a relationship and others religions.
Christians are people who have accepted Jesus Christ as Savior. That is a personal one-on-one act that initiates the relationship between the person and Jesus.

Christianity is a religion in the sense that Christians have shared beliefs and practices. However, the system of Christian beliefs does not determine whether or not a person "belongs" to that religion. That "membership" is only between the individual and the Lord Himself.

Local churches can establish criteria for memborship. Members can vote on local church business, and enjoy whatever other benefits a local church provides. But church or denomination membership does not create the relationship between the believer and Jesus. That is always a one-on-one relationship.

For example:
I am a born-again Christian. My relationship with Jesus happened when I confessed myself a sinner, and accepted Jesus as my Savior. AFTER that, a week later, I joined a local independent Baptist church. I was first a Christian, then I became a member of a Baptist church. If I move away from this area, or if that church no longer meets my needs, I can quit that membership and join a new church. But I will always be a Christian, no-matter the church membership. My relationship with Jesus will never change.

RedFox said:
The article
The bishops of the Catholic churches in England, Wales and Scotland said that not all parts of the bible are literally true and said that it's their god's word in human language and that it should be seen in a historical context.
An example would be the first 11 chapters of Genesis being similar to other ancient creation stories of the region. They said that the story was to provide religious teaching, not history. They also said the book of Revealitions is meant to be symbolic, not literal.
They also called fundamentalism dangerous like when a group uses the bible to show that they're better than others and to justify violence. We could say that they're not true Christians, but they could bounce that off by saying the same about other Christians.
Of course, they say the parts about salvation are true. I consider them being in the business of salvation by making people think they need it.

Are those bishops of CC in England, Wales and Scotland follow Vatican? Not every CC follow Vatican.

Crazymanw00t said:
Only thing I can be happy with them when they are repenting their sinful life. That way I can be happy with them because they glorify God. Christian cannot be happy with them when they put God in vain. _-For example Gay Christian. They are fighting against Lord because of their gay life-_ We only can forgive them when they repent. if they don't repent and we cannot forgive. We only can be acceptance when they are in struggle of repenting.

I knew many gay Christians, many of them are not sexually activity. How can they ask God to forgive them if they are born this way. U can not make them straight alike u can not make us to hear again. You judge them, to me that is sin.

Crazymanwoot, sounds like you've been listening too much to that Focus on the Family guy. TERRORISTS who are out to destroy the Traditional American Family Way? OMFG..........that's too much! :laugh2:
Most GLB folks are just like anyone else you know. My uncle volunteers as a Big Brother, gives LOTS of money to charity, has adopted a crack addict's baby, is clean living, religious, and meets all the criteria of being a fine upstanding person to look up to......GUESS what? He's GAY! The ONLY difference between GLB folks and straight folks is the people they fall in love with! We are PEOPLE....we are HUMANS.... NOT terrorizing monsters!
Ok, now I am askin' you a question : How come is that the same sex DON'T see God's point about homosexual/lesbian is sin when they still stay with it ? Why chose it without change ? And, of course you may tell me that they do love God and follow God and so on, but I still don't see it - because, they still live with the same sex and it's always there. Same goes with the people who have bad habits like committin' adultery, or beatin' their wives, or problem with drinkin', or whatever - all of them are sins, but once they give up their life to God after they repent - they don't do them no more.
Well, there's really no ONE answer. Some have given up on organized religions and become atheists/secular humanists or practice religion on their own, some have found support and help in the various and sundry support religious support groups, some have found help in recoincling their orientation with their religion in other ways. Being Christian and gay isn't a total oxymoron. I mean, there are Christian churches that are 100% OK with homosexuality....and even offer their offical blessings in the form of comittment cereomonies. Homosexuality is NOT universarly accepted as a sin! Here's a link that might be helpful to you....Scroll down to the bit on libral Christian's views on homosexuality:http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibx.htm
Did you know that some Biblcal scholars think that the "friendship" between David and Jonathan may have been homosexual? 2 Samuel 1:26
"I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women."

According to some scholars (and not crazed fringe scholars) there's evidence of at least THREE positive homosexual relationships in the Bible: http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bmar.htm
Homosexuality is more of an ambigious sin......NOT ALL CHRISTIAN CHURCHES VIEW IT AS A SIN!!!!!
Yes, I know you quote the "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve arguement"
BUT, JESUS NEVER spoke out on homosexuality! Don't you think that if He'd had issues with homosexuality, He would have said something? http://www.religioustolerance.org/sex_jesu.htm

Reba, I believe that ALL major relgions preach The Truth....Jesus said that it was more important to have a close personal relationship with God, then to follow man-made rules. I have a close relationship with God......I am spiritual, but yet I believe that ALL religions have Truth and value to them. I don't believe that any one religion has a monopoly on it when it comes to teachings and answers. There's even formal religions like Ba'hai and Unitarians that believe that!

jazzy said:
I knew many gay Christians, many of them are not sexually activity. How can they ask God to forgive them if they are born this way. U can not make them straight alike u can not make us to hear again. You judge them, to me that is sin.

Ok people can born with high femminst but they don't have to be gay anyway. It dones't means when you have high femminst in your body and you must be gay because of it.

deafdyke said:
Crazymanwoot, sounds like you've been listening too much to that Focus on the Family guy. TERRORISTS who are out to destroy the Traditional American Family Way? OMFG..........that's too much! :laugh2:
Most GLB folks are just like anyone else you know. My uncle volunteers as a Big Brother, gives LOTS of money to charity, has adopted a crack addict's baby, is clean living, religious, and meets all the criteria of being a fine upstanding person to look up to......GUESS what? He's GAY! The ONLY difference between GLB folks and straight folks is the people they fall in love with! We are PEOPLE....we are HUMANS.... NOT terrorizing monsters!

Well, there's really no ONE answer. Some have given up on organized religions and become atheists/secular humanists or practice religion on their own, some have found support and help in the various and sundry support religious support groups, some have found help in recoincling their orientation with their religion in other ways. Being Christian and gay isn't a total oxymoron. I mean, there are Christian churches that are 100% OK with homosexuality....and even offer their offical blessings in the form of comittment cereomonies. Homosexuality is NOT universarly accepted as a sin! Here's a link that might be helpful to you....Scroll down to the bit on libral Christian's views on homosexuality:http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibx.htm
Did you know that some Biblcal scholars think that the "friendship" between David and Jonathan may have been homosexual? 2 Samuel 1:26
"I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women."

According to some scholars (and not crazed fringe scholars) there's evidence of at least THREE positive homosexual relationships in the Bible: http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bmar.htm
Homosexuality is more of an ambigious sin......NOT ALL CHRISTIAN CHURCHES VIEW IT AS A SIN!!!!!
Yes, I know you quote the "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve arguement"
BUT, JESUS NEVER spoke out on homosexuality! Don't you think that if He'd had issues with homosexuality, He would have said something? http://www.religioustolerance.org/sex_jesu.htm

Reba, I believe that ALL major relgions preach The Truth....Jesus said that it was more important to have a close personal relationship with God, then to follow man-made rules. I have a close relationship with God......I am spiritual, but yet I believe that ALL religions have Truth and value to them. I don't believe that any one religion has a monopoly on it when it comes to teachings and answers. There's even formal religions like Ba'hai and Unitarians that believe that!

LIBERALIST CHRISTIAN refuses to absolute following the Bible, therefore they aren't Christian at all.

Let me show you who I am from that website you gave me. I am extremely Fundamentalist, Conservative and Calvinist Christian.

Fundamentalist Christians represent the conservative wing of Evangelical Christianity, which in turn represents the conservative Wing of Christianity. They typically believe in the strict inerrancy of the Bible and in historical Protestant beliefs. They interpret most biblical passages literally. They view the Bible as the Word of God fully applicable to present day situations.

Now let me show you the your side with the Liberal Christian.

Religious liberals generally do not view the Bible as inerrant. They see is as a collection of writings by various authors, each of whom was promoting their own religious beliefs. Thus, biblical passages describe how Jewish and early Christian societies viewed various matters. They may or may not reflect the will of God. Passages relating to the genocide of whole peoples, the oppression of women and slavery are certainly not in accordance with the wishes of God.

That is huge different with the BOLD highlight examples.
Which is one is following the Bible? Obviously the Fundamentalist, and Conservative Christian.

As a RC priest, I think it is important to know that Bible is not entirely accurate in every case, for example, in science. On the other hand, what the Bible says about God and our relationship with Him is important. The Bible is true in all of it's theology and our purpose in this life. In other words, the Bible is God's revelation of Himself to us. While the universe may or may not have been created in less than a week, we do know that God is the creator of the cosmos. The purpose of Genesis is to teach that God is the source of all life. On the other hand, the RC Church does teach that all of humanity does come from two people, but their names were not necessarily Adam and Eve. What the Bishops of England and Wales were trying to say is that Genesis was not written to be a scientific account of creation, but rather a theologcal understanding of man.

I hope that helps.

Big E said:
As a RC priest, I think it is important to know that Bible is not entirely accurate in every case, for example, in science. On the other hand, what the Bible says about God and our relationship with Him is important. The Bible is true in all of it's theology and our purpose in this life. In other words, the Bible is God's revelation of Himself to us. While the universe may or may not have been created in less than a week, we do know that God is the creator of the cosmos. The purpose of Genesis is to teach that God is the source of all life. On the other hand, the RC Church does teach that all of humanity does come from two people, but their names were not necessarily Adam and Eve. What the Bishops of England and Wales were trying to say is that Genesis was not written to be a scientific account of creation, but rather a theologcal understanding of man.
We can't pick and choose what parts of the Bible to accept as accurate. Either all of God's word is true, or none of it is true. God doesn't say, "Believe Me when I tell you how to be saved, but you can wink at the rest of the Bible."

If you don't believe God created the universe in six days, how do you "know that God is the creator of the cosmos"? If we are not descendants of Adam and Eve, then who? What is your source for that information?

The Bible is not a science text book but the science that it does contain is accurate. God is not the author of lies or confusion.

deafdyke said:
Reba, I believe that ALL major relgions preach The Truth....
How can they all preach the truth when each "truth" contradicts the other? It is not even logical.

If religion "A" says the "Green way" is the only way to heaven but religion "B" says the "Red way" is the only way, and religion "C" says the "Blue way" is the only way, how can they all be true? And then religion "D" says there is no heaven, and religion "E" says there is a heaven but no way to get there. How can they all be true? You see, it doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back