Rebuild New Orleans

• Yes

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • No Way

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • build something else on New Orleans, but not houses

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters
They should clean up the mess then anabon New Orleans and have everyone settle to other cities would get additional population. They should restore New Orleans into wetlands. It's because that New Orleans will be gone by year 2090 due to water rising, they say.

This picture shows how much land had been lost in Louisiana. The levees and channels made for shipping and flood protection is making the silt from the Mississippi go into the Gulf instead of replacing the dirt that's washed away by the sea or build onto ground that is sinking due to compression. http://www.latimes.com/media/graphic/2005-09/19295724.gif

Last edited:
oh, that explains everything, but how will the future students understand why Louisiana is gone and it's the part of US History?

New Orleans has a very high water table. That is why they bury people on top of the ground there. This could all happen again, regardless of what they do or how they build on the same area.

Personally I think they can find a safer place to build a city than this one.

It also would not hurt for the residents keep the population DOWN. Having children is not supposed to be a RECREATION.

Have you heard of History classes in High School? Its been there for that purpose!

rjr2006 said:
oh, that explains everything, but how will the future students understand why Louisiana is gone and it's the part of US History?

kuifje75 said:
...I read that in 1700s, NOLA was about 10 feet above sea level. Ever since then, the land has been sinking and sinking. Then they built levees to hold the water back from the city and I was shocked to read that some places in NOLA were as low as 10 feet below sea level!
We have a similar situation here in Charleston, but not as bad as NOLA. Charleston is only 10 feet above sea level, and that is mostly on fill and dredge land. The water table is about three feet down. (For example, when we dig holes for our fence posts, water bubbles up.) Sometimes the city floods just during rain storms or high tides. The sea level here is slowly rising each year.

sequoias said:
They should clean up the mess then anabon New Orleans and have everyone settle to other cities would get additional population. They should restore New Orleans into wetlands. It's because that New Orleans will be gone by year 2090 due to water rising, they say.

The city is already gone.... Don't have to wait til 2090.

I think they should not fix the leveer and just go try to find survivors and picked up the dead first, then clean the city up, and then abandon the city.
Just let the sea take the land.

NOLA is important as a port city for shipping commerce, not just for quaint tourism. It is something like the fourth most important port for the USA. Merchandise can be shipped from the Gulf up the Mississippi River, to the Midwest. That is the reason it was first established. The first settlers weren't there for gambling or Mardi Gras. It is also the portal for oil from the Gulf.

Reba said:
NOLA is important as a port city for shipping commerce, not just for quaint tourism. It is something like the fourth most important port for the USA. Merchandise can be shipped from the Gulf up the Mississippi River, to the Midwest. That is the reason it was first established. The first settlers weren't there for gambling or Mardi Gras. It is also the portal for oil from the Gulf.
yeah.. we, minnesotans get the goods from lousiana through mississippi river.

New Orleans is a big boob on the face of society. It's high time we lose a place that does nothing but flashes boobs.

Richard

i vote says yes for building of new Orleans and Mississipi,Alabama because needs new home and busniess whats really NEEDS! they have no home! but i understand why! and president bush visit mississippii they all of them states see them floods and i read British articles about HM Queen of England send to President Bush to messages about floods of New Orleans and lots of more! how nice of her! and HM Queen of England says its digusting in USA of floods i knew it you would read it about it.

Queen 'shocked' by US hurricane
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4200246.stm

Sara Boyce

Back