• Yes

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • No Way

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • build something else on New Orleans, but not houses

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters
Tousi said:
Miss P, I highly doubt the insurance company is going to help your Gran cuz NO is designated a flood zone and people there understand that insurance companies do not cover a designated flood plain or zone. Some(very few, I suspect) might have gotten flood insurance or something equivalent from the government.

As for your opinion of what to do with New Orleans, it is plain you have no sense or appreciation of history nor empathy with NO and it's people.

Tousi's right. Insurance Co. won't cover damage in flood prone areas. There's actually a program set up by the Fed Gov. that people like us make use of. It's similiar to insurance, but it's not handled by an insurance Co.

jazzy said:
I think they should not build house on coast. They should know better cuz it happened before and again and again in future. They will always have hurricane. My friend lost her home in 69 to camilla and it is there again. It costs us too much money, billion dollars. Unless they have better techologny of building something stronger for hurricane as we have here with earthquake zones. We have to follow code on what kind of house we build. I did not see this there. Poor prepare and they were in denied. This time they better not be so stupid building something weaker for next hurricane whether it is next one or 40 years from now.
Government there and our Washington are done poor job this week.

:werd: There are counties here in FL that are requiring stronger buildings to withstand the winds of a hurricane. The problem, though, is you may not be able to contruct a building that will withstand floodwaters. I know that in my county, they are starting to require stilt houses be built. A stilt house is a house that is high in the air. This may prevent flood damage, but a stilt house is then more prone to the wind damage from a hurricane. Catch-22. There is no easy solution to this.

Oceanbreeze said:
:werd: There are counties here in FL that are requiring stronger buildings to withstand the winds of a hurricane. The problem, though, is you may not be able to contruct a building that will withstand floodwaters. I know that in my county, they are starting to require stilt houses be built. A stilt house is a house that is high in the air. This may prevent flood damage, but a stilt house is then more prone to the wind damage from a hurricane. Catch-22. There is no easy solution to this.

In Fla is somewhar different because of the land they have hurricane go across Fla. But in south alike Miss, Louisiana, Texas etc they build house on the beach. They should know the risk as we are here with earthquake. For instance in New Orlean, the houses there still under in water because of below sea level. Should not build houses there in first place. My in laws used to live in south LO and they don't live near ocean. They knew the risk and avoid live near the ocean.

We need to be more creative and find a different way to withhold hurricane cuz it will never stop.

it is sad that some people love their possessions and beautiful views more than God.

I beleve God is testing us.

It is so sad that some people who refuse to leave their homes and rather risk their lives.

They might as well sell their soul to the devil

There is no excuse to not leave NO.

They should have demanded the mayor for transportation to help assist them to evaluate

But i know that you guys think i am heartless and cruel and don't make sense at all. But yall know deep inside that i am right.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
it is sad that some people love their possessions and beautiful views more than God.

I beleve God is testing us.

It is so sad that some people who refuse to leave their homes and rather risk their lives.

They might as well sell their soul to the devil

There is no excuse to not leave NO.

They should have demanded the mayor for transportation to help assist them to evaluate

But i know that you guys think i am heartless and cruel and don't make sense at all. But yall know deep inside that i am right.

again, ur remarks are disgusting. a lot of people COULDNT leave. and u want to damn their souls to hell? a lot of the people there are elderly, and couldn't go anywhere. they had no choice but to stay. and a lot of those people had no where else to go.

My Aunt offered her sons and daughter and her 2 Grandchildren, do they need a ride up to north.
They said no, they want to stay in New Orleans.

And my Aunt's other daughter asked her brothers and sister and her neice and nephew, do they need a ride out of New Orleans.
They said no, they want to stay in New Orleans.

I bet most of those people there in New Orleans were giving opportunities to ride away from New Orleans....

Do you see all of those CARS that were floating in the flood in New Orleans???
And you are telling me, that those people can't get out of New Orleans?

jazzy said:
In Fla is somewhar different because of the land they have hurricane go across Fla. But in south alike Miss, Louisiana, Texas etc they build house on the beach. They should know the risk as we are here with earthquake. For instance in New Orlean, the houses there still under in water because of below sea level. Should not build houses there in first place. My in laws used to live in south LO and they don't live near ocean. They knew the risk and avoid live near the ocean.

We need to be more creative and find a different way to withhold hurricane cuz it will never stop.

I hear what you're saying, and I don't disagree with you. I really don't. I don't mean to sound insensitive to the people of Lousiana, but a good many of them brought that misery down on themselves. Those who live in such flood prone areas (myself and fam included; we're also below sea level where I am), must take responsibilty for doing so, if we choose to stay. Many of those people did NOT have flood insurance! That is unbelievable!! I have also seen it where I live. We CHOOSE to live where we do. I agree with what said about building a better infrastructure. But, again, they knew the infrastructure was inadequate, but they chose to stay.

The bottom line is ... It comes down to expectations. If you live in a hurricane prone area, you better anticipate "The Big One", and prepare for it. You're stupid if you don't.

I'd let the people from there decide if to rebuild. If they do, they should make sure the city won't sink so much by not pumping water out of wells from under the city and build the city on a big foundation that's raised above sea level and make dome houses tough enough to survive hurricanes like the one NGC showed that survived Ivan.

well dont forget that city is historical because I am sure MOST of places were builted LONG TIME AGO way before technology improves. And in a way, THEY could have improve the rescue effects and it was pretty much unexpecting events that they never thought it going happen but it did. So I am sure they will make it better for next hurricane to come.

I voted yes, because I am praying for these people who are homeless. Ms. p, for sakes, do you ever think about those people? If I were you, I would pray or donate money to them.

I don't think they will rebuild anytime soon this year because I heard on the weather channel that another hurricane is coming, but they ain't sure if it is coming this way.

They are stubborn and want re-build that what I read the newspaper on internet.. Pretty interesting finds...

They just wanted to wait until the ocean does down back normal and will come revonation some of what... and also will may possible demolish some buildings.

In my mind.. They are nuts! why does they care closer to the ocean. It will come another hurriance hits extacty spot.. Do they will learn their lesson not too close the ocean ??? *hmmmmmm* IMO!

AJ said:
again, ur remarks are disgusting. a lot of people COULDNT leave. and u want to damn their souls to hell? a lot of the people there are elderly, and couldn't go anywhere. they had no choice but to stay. and a lot of those people had no where else to go.

I agreed.. she keep changing different stories.. eh..

:gives: about her... I wouldnt believe her stories.. its all :bsflag:

anyways... just pray and try your best to help those people.
25 cents.. will do
50 cents will do ok
1.00 will do great.. or more.. :)

Miss*Pinocchio said:
I don't think they will rebuild anytime soon this year because I heard on the weather channel that another hurricane is coming, but they ain't sure if it is coming this way.

jeezus-- would you go for change.. from negative to positive.. since you talk about God and this and that... you are not sound like christain or even christain way being negative..

Positive.. if other hurriance coming .. just pray for less strengths or pray for that go different direction... or pray for those armies strengths to help them.. they work HARD.. I applause them.

Negative... If people talk negative.. say something positive... whatever you or we.. talk good things or positive... Good things will always happen...

*sigh*.. give us a break..

Oakley_04 said:
I want to rebuild New Orleans to keep the Memory of Mardi Gras going and History of New orleans and french quater etc.

yes right and also keep the memory of ppl who died maybe during the mardi gras they might will give a memorial of something who knows what it will be like
or they can chose whatever they can keep the memory going

:grouphug:

Oceanbreeze said:
...The bottom line is ... It comes down to expectations. If you live in a hurricane prone area, you better anticipate "The Big One", and prepare for it. You're stupid if you don't.
True. I was surprised that the people who didn't evacuate were not prepared to stay. Why didn't they stock up on water and supplies before the hurricane hit? We always keep extra water, non-perishable food, medicines, first aid supplies, camping potty, packaged "wipes", etc., at our house. We have an inventory of our house and all important papers in a portable "safe" that we can quickly grab and take with us. I keep a back up of my photos and files from the computer on several jump drives. I keep one at home in the safe, one at my bank in the safety deposit box, and one at another relatives home in another state.

When there is a warning of a hurricane coming, we get fresh batteries, bottles of bleach (unscented), fill all containers (including the tub) with water, get enough non-perishable food, make sure the grill propane tanks are full, eat up the perishable food, pack some clothes in zipped plastic bags, refill all prescriptions, charge up cell phones, get a full tank of gas. Then, we are ready to stay or evacuate, depending on the situation. Families with babies make sure they have enough diapers, formula, etc., and for pets, water and food. People with pets need to make sure they can get to a shelter or motel that accepts pets. Most shelters do not. In Charleston, we always have one shelter set up just for people with pets. That is important, because some people refuse to leave home because they don't want to leave their pets.

People really need to be prepared for hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, fire, riots, terrorist attacks, etc. It is not expensive if you begin gathering a little at a time. Don't wait until last minute and panic.

um well how about just save the French Quarter, just keep the shops there and Cruise Port and that all.

And just don't rebuild homes there for million of people.

Just keep the historical buildings up and just let tourists go there since the French Quarter is on higher ground

For a change, I have to agree with MissP here. I do not think it is a good idea to rebuild NOLA.

I read that in 1700s, NOLA was about 10 feet above sea level. Ever since then, the land has been sinking and sinking. Then they built levees to hold the water back from the city and I was shocked to read that some places in NOLA were as low as 10 feet below sea level!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:New_Orleans_Levee_System.gif
This link clearly illustrates the landform of the city of NOLA

I read in the newspaper that scientists predicts that by 2090, there will be no more NOLA. The loss of land in that area is approximately 2 hectacres per hour. That's amazing, I think!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000121071306.htm
http://www.time.com/time/reports/mississippi/orleans.html

my feeling that new orleans might not good place to live for lot of ppl just few
perfect for tourist attraction and learn about history of new orleans

Back