Reasonable accommodations

ClearSky

Reaction score
What is reasonable accommodation exactly? What if an employer doesn't take you to do a job that you know you can do such as bussing tables, but they say you also have to host people, so they don't want you because it's not flexible for them? What if they do not want you for a job like cooking or cleaning because you can't attend their registers?

There are some jobs that explain their job duties, but they describe carefully "you must have good hearing and speaking skills" for a cooking job? It sort of sounds like they are discriminating as much as they can by stating it on their applications.

ClearSky said:
What is reasonable accommodation exactly? What if an employer doesn't take you to do a job that you know you can do such as bussing tables, but they say you also have to host people, so they don't want you because it's not flexible for them? What if they do not want you for a job like cooking or cleaning because you can't attend their registers?

There are some jobs that explain their job duties, but they describe carefully "you must have good hearing and speaking skills" for a cooking job? It sort of sounds like they are discriminating as much as they can by stating it on their applications.

Reasonable accomodations means that you can require them to provide an interpeter for your job interview, and if you are hired, for when they call a meetings of all co workers, things like that, but you cannot require them to provide an interpreter to be there ALL the time, just for meetings, interviews, etc.

They can allow you to have a hearing dog at your job (depends on what job it is...sometimes it is not good idea to have hearing dog at some jobs) if you need it for your job. You can require them to provide a TTY, things like that. But when you ask for accomodations, keep it within reason, keep it reasonable.

About "you must have good hearing and speaking skills" for a cooking job, it sounds like it's a job where you have to deal with customers directly, taking orders to cook the food to their specifications, etc...so I can see why good hearing and speaking skills are required...customers will not be happy if you mess up the food that you cooked for them.

If you are going to cook in a resturant. Never work in fast food chains. You want to work in 3 or 4 or 5 star resturants because you have more time to prepare the food and there is not too much communication required. You can attend cooking school to become a chef. I understand the starting pay is around $50,000 to $60,000 a year.

LuciaDisturbed said:
Reasonable accomodations means that you can require them to provide an interpeter for your job interview, and if you are hired, for when they call a meetings of all co workers, things like that, but you cannot require them to provide an interpreter to be there ALL the time, just for meetings, interviews, etc.

They can allow you to have a hearing dog at your job (depends on what job it is...sometimes it is not good idea to have hearing dog at some jobs) if you need it for your job. You can require them to provide a TTY, things like that. But when you ask for accomodations, keep it within reason, keep it reasonable.

About "you must have good hearing and speaking skills" for a cooking job, it sounds like it's a job where you have to deal with customers directly, taking orders to cook the food to their specifications, etc...so I can see why good hearing and speaking skills are required...customers will not be happy if you mess up the food that you cooked for them.

Thank you for responding. No, the job is not dealing with customers. It's cooking in the back. They have separate people to take orders. I guess maybe they need to yell out orders or something. Could be?

Heath, I see where you're going with this. You've done this before. I don't care to be a chef.

ClearSky said:
Thank you for responding. No, the job is not dealing with customers. It's cooking in the back. They have separate people to take orders. I guess maybe they need to yell out orders or something. Could be?

Heath, I see where you're going with this. You've done this before. I don't care to be a chef.

Yes, that could be it.

Back