Ravens Jamal Lewis Sentenced to Four Months

tekkmortal

Reaction score
Ravens Jamal Lewis Sentenced to Four Months

By HARRY R. WEBER

ATLANTA (AP) - Jamal Lewis will serve time in prison for his role in a federal drug case, but it won't keep him off the field for the Baltimore Ravens next season.

The star running back was sentenced to four months in prison Wednesday for using a cell phone to try to set up a cocaine deal about 4 1/2 years ago.

``I'm truly sorry for what I did,'' Lewis said to U.S. District Judge Orinda Evans.

The penalty, worked out with prosecutors in October, should allow Lewis to return to the Ravens well before the start of the 2005 season. At most, he could miss the opening of training camp. He'll also spend two months in a halfway house and perform 500 hours of community service following his prison term.

Lewis pleaded guilty to trying to set up the drug deal a few months after the Ravens chose him No. 5 overall in the 2000 NFL draft. No drugs ever exchanged hands.

Prosecutors agreed to drop more serious drug conspiracy and attempted cocaine possession charges.

Explaining the short sentence, the judge said the government didn't have a strong case and noted the only witness against Lewis was an informant with a lengthy criminal record.

Evans said she was also giving Lewis ``credit for stepping up to the bar'' and admitting his guilt.

Defense lawyer Ed Garland said the sentence was fair.

``Jamal Lewis has his life and his career back,'' Garland said outside court.

The football player has until Feb. 4 to surrender to allow him time to have a cast removed from his right ankle, the judge said. Lewis recently had surgery on the foot.

Evans said she will recommend that Lewis serve his time at a federal prison camp at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Ala. The community confinement will be served at a halfway house in Atlanta.

If Lewis reports at the latest possible date and does not get time off for good behavior, the earliest he would be released from the halfway house would be Aug. 4. The Ravens' training camp usually opens sometime in late July, and the NFL season starts in early to mid-September.

The Ravens said the team would not be commenting on Lewis' sentence.

Lewis was suspended for two games by the NFL after his guilty plea; the Ravens finished the season 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

Lewis, a former star at Tennessee, could have faced at least 10 years in prison if convicted of the conspiracy charge, but likely would have received a shorter sentence under federal guidelines. In 1997, he pleaded guilty to a shoplifting charge in suburban Atlanta, but officials agreed to wipe his record clean if he complied with his probation.

In the drug case, Lewis was accused of helping broker a cocaine deal for childhood friend Angelo Jackson during conversations with a government informant in Atlanta.

On June 23, 2000 - Lewis had been drafted by the Ravens on April 15 - the FBI said an informant contacted Lewis on his cell phone to discuss selling cocaine to Lewis and Jackson. The FBI said Lewis and Jackson later met the informant at an Atlanta restaurant. Both conversations were taped.

Jackson and the informant met several times more over the next several weeks, but Lewis was not part of any of those conversations, court papers say.

Lewis, the NFL offensive player of the year in 2003 after rushing for 2,066 yards, wasn't indicted on the federal drug charges until February 2004; prosecutors say they waited to protect an ongoing investigation.

Jackson pleaded guilty to attempting to possess with the intent to distribute cocaine. He was sentenced Wednesday to 37 months in federal prison.

01/27/05 02:58

© Copyright The Associated Press

Whoa football players in jail! :eek:

Interesting! one player of ravensteve's favorite team is in trouble and he didn't use the usual blame game (liberal judge). But instead he blame on KKK!

Indeed, interesting!

ravensteve1961 said:
But its those racist atlanta police officers. 75% of them are with the KKK.

raven ...get grip of reality. lewis made his own choices...he deserves his punishment..i never liked lewis..he was too arrogant and thought he could outhide laws.

Meg said:
raven ...get grip of reality. lewis made his own choices...he deserves his punishment..i never liked lewis..he was too arrogant and thought he could outhide laws.
Yeah Remember Ray lewis in atlanta? Same situation. I think its only fair when micheal vick and his falcons come to baltimore im going to baltimores finest and said micheal vick assulted me. Then he`ll be in real trouble in baltimore.

ravensteve1961 said:
Yeah Remember Ray lewis in atlanta? Same situation. I think its only fair when micheal vick and his falcons come to baltimore im going to baltimores finest and said micheal vick assulted me. Then he`ll be in real trouble in baltimore.

Please do, ravensteve. Either way, I win -- either you go to jail for a false statement, or the Falcons lose their QB. Oh, wait, you still would go to jail for a false statement once the police investigate.

Don't chicken out on this promise you made to us here on Alldeaf! Remember, it's only fair! Talk to the cops you hate so much!

Meg said:

I second with Meg. Get grip of reality Raven. Your comments are not so true. How do you prove this? Come down and live here in Atlanta. You will see that in front of your eyes. I am currently residing in Atlanta. Geez!!!

ravensteve1961 said:
But its those racist atlanta police officers. 75% of them are with the KKK.

I sense you are one of those racist against those black. That is so untrue about the percentage of them are with the KKK. Watch out your comments here! FYI, I am atlantan and I am white!

Guys,

This is thread is about Lewis's sentence. Please don't let RavenSteve's nonsensical statements pull this off topic. If you must, just ignore him....

Now, back to topic...

I honestly believe Lewis was being stand up in accepting what he had done. And, lets remember, all he really did was take a call for somebody else. That's it! It also happened during his college days. Why it took this long for the case to resolved, I don't know. But, it was a chicken shit charge with little to back it up.

When all is said and done, Lewis will still be a stand up guy in my eyes for admitting what he did, and taking his lumps.

Oceanbreeze said:
I honestly believe Lewis was being stand up in accepting what he had done. And, lets remember, all he really did was take a call for somebody else. That's it! It also happened during his college days. Why it took this long for the case to resolved, I don't know. But, it was a chicken shit charge with little to back it up.

When all is said and done, Lewis will still be a stand up guy in my eyes for admitting what he did, and taking his lumps.
I don't know anything about Lewis or care about Lewis but I am curious about that statement. I must admit that I didn't invest the time and knowledge in crime that much... but I would think that if any older than 7 years (commit a crime like 8 years ago as example) will not be in court because of time frame? I don't know where I get the information from.. that's why I want to ask if it is true or not.

Magatsu said:
I don't know anything about Lewis or care about Lewis but I am curious about that statement. I must admit that I didn't invest the time and knowledge in crime that much... but I would think that if any older than 7 years (commit a crime like 8 years ago as example) will not be in court because of time frame? I don't know where I get the information from.. that's why I want to ask if it is true or not.

You are referring to the Statute of limitations, Magatsu. And, honestly, I wonder about the same danged thing. I am not versed enough on the laws to be able to shed light on this any further, though. Perhaps, someone else can?

Taylor, would you know????? Anyone else have any idea?

Oceanbreeze said:
You are referring to the Statute of limitations, Magatsu. And, honestly, I wonder about the same danged thing. I am not versed enough on the laws to be able to shed light on this any further, though. Perhaps, someone else can?

Taylor, would you know????? Anyone else have any idea?
Ah thanks for that right words for this issue! I will pm Taylor to get his attention to check our posts out whenever he comes back from 'vacation'.

Magatsu said:
Ah thanks for that right words for this issue! I will pm Taylor to get his attention to check our posts out whenever he comes back from 'vacation'.

Thanks, magatsu!

See...

Each state varies as to statutes, so I can't answer your question adequately. The only crime that doesn't have a statute of limitation is murder. You can kill somebody and be charged for the crime a good fifty years later. However, other crimes have a statute of limitations, which varies from state to state on length.

The "statute of limitations" for each crime is different, AND it's different for each state.

I'll give some examples, but the terms are all made up:

What that means is that I could murder someone in CA, they can prosecute me any time in the future, even if I live to be 100;

If I jaywalked across the street in Michigan, the police may only have 30 days to prosecute me, otherwise it's like the crime never existed.

Keep in mind, that includes the time the police need to come up with evidence to arrest you. If the statute of limitation runs out while they don't have enough evidence to charge you, then later they find out something, too late! Nyah nyah!

Why dont they leave the ravens players alone? Why dont they pick colts or steelers players instead?

Oceanbreeze said:
Thanks, magatsu!

See...

Each state varies as to statutes, so I can't answer your question adequately. The only crime that doesn't have a statute of limitation is murder. You can kill somebody and be charged for the crime a good fifty years later. However, other crimes have a statute of limitations, which varies from state to state on length.

Dennis said:
The "statute of limitations" for each crime is different, AND it's different for each state.

I'll give some examples, but the terms are all made up:

What that means is that I could murder someone in CA, they can prosecute me any time in the future, even if I live to be 100;

If I jaywalked across the street in Michigan, the police may only have 30 days to prosecute me, otherwise it's like the crime never existed.

Keep in mind, that includes the time the police need to come up with evidence to arrest you. If the statute of limitation runs out while they don't have enough evidence to charge you, then later they find out something, too late! Nyah nyah!
Thanks for extra informations! I get the general idea about this statute of limitation. I think I did learned about this in politicial class during high school but I didn't use or discuss about this issue that much with any people.. I guess my memory of this statute of limitation gets rotted or something.

Magatsu said:
Thanks for extra informations! I get the general idea about this statute of limitation. I think I did learned about this in politicial class during high school but I didn't use or discuss about this issue that much with any people.. I guess my memory of this statute of limitation gets rotted or something.

:lol: No problem, Magatsu!

Glad I could help you! :)

ravensteve1961 said:
Why dont they leave the ravens players alone? Why dont they pick colts or steelers players instead?

Nobody is picking on anybody here. Technically, Jamal Lewis committed a crime as chinsy as it was. Therefore, he had to do the time. It would be the same for everybody.

Aren't you the one always screaming about people getting off for crimes and such??? Either stick to what you believe, or don't say anything. Otherwise, you end up looking kinda stupid.

Ohhh, raaavennnnsteeevveee! Did you know that the Ravens all voted for Kerry? *gasp*

(that'll take some time for him to wrap his head around)

Backeth on topic-eth:

Drug charges are realllllly stupid. I hate drugs, but I also hate the fact that the "War on Drugs" doesn't do much good. Tax the drugs, have the government oversee their safe and lawful distribution, and educate people on the dangers of using them, and you WILL SEE THE NUMBER OF DRUG USERS GO DOWN. Much like smoking and alcohol is slightly declining, drug use will too, when LEGALIZED in a controlled manner.

Still, it takes an idiot to break the law like Mr. Lewis here did. It's the against the law, Mr. Big Shot Football Star -- you're not above it, so do your time and be happy nothing worse came from it.

But Brian Billick voted for bush!!!!
Ray Lewis arrested in atlanta....Jamal Lewis Arrested in atlanta.
Seval New York Mets Players arrested in houston like daryl strawberry,Mookie Wilson and Dwight Gooden .Doesnt this tell you something? They wanna pick on black ballplayers.Why dont atlanta pigs bust somebody like Hines Ward,Duce Staley and Joey Porter? Or pick on these guys as well, Marvin Harrison,Edgerrin James and Marcus Pollard? Pick on these guys but leave my ravens and orioles alone.

Back