Rats have empathy

Rat on a stick? Yummmmm!

at-the-market-rat-on-a-stick-bitung.jpg

Chipotle?

I never did dissected at school and I am pretty sure it is not allowed in most UK schools. I only heard that it might happen few private schools.

Yes, they are. No, that doesn't mean that we came from rats. It just means that rats make a good substitute for humans in research. The effects found in the rat population are pretty accurately transferred to the human population.

I will have to disagree with that statement. Thalidomide was tested on animals and found to be safe. Well, it wasn't safe for the unborn human babies as they were born with deformity - usually in the limbs. Mice and rats were resistant to it.

Source: Sacred Cows and Golden Geese: The Human Cost of Experiments on Animals. C. Ray Greek, MD & Jean Swingle Greek, DVM. Page 45.

I will have to disagree with that statement. Thalidomide was tested on animals and found to be safe. Well, it wasn't safe for the unborn human babies as they were born with deformity - usually in the limbs. Mice and rats were resistant to it.

Source: Sacred Cows and Golden Geese: The Human Cost of Experiments on Animals. C. Ray Greek, MD & Jean Swingle Greek, DVM. Page 45.

One example. Would the effects have been any different had it not been tested on animals, and tested on humans instead? No.

There are examples of not just medications, but surgeries and numerous other medical advances that have come from research done with rats. Humans have received the benefits of these for years. Are you willing to give all the advances up that that come from research on animals and go back to the days when they are just guessing when they do surgery, or have no medications...even simple antibiotics?

How do you think they even discovered the information in this article? No doubt, they were using rats to study mirror neurons in the brains of rats, as that is the neurological mechanism for development of emapthy. Research done with rats in this area has been responsible for new approaches to dealing with autistic children.

Back