Raised Garden

Nice article... I notice more and more people swear by the soaker hose....
I am curious, while many professionals say it is one of or the best method for watering, does anyone have an issue with watering properly with it? Seems like it would be a hassle to always have to dig through the garden to make sure you watered deep enough.

https://extension.illinois.edu/hortihints/0108a.html

This link tell when the best time to water plants ,

I am curious, while many professionals say it is one of or the best method for watering, does anyone have an issue with watering properly with it? Seems like it would be a hassle to always have to dig through the garden to make sure you watered deep enough.
I never digged into soil to see check if I watered long enough and may garden was fine .

Actually best time is to water in the mornings. Watering at night can encourage fungus to grow. Also, you want the soil to dry a little between Watering to help encourage the roots to seek out water. This makes the plant hardier and healthier
Depends on location, here they say in evenings is best, the soil is dry due to the daytime heat and lack of humidity.

Never an issue, just route it so its like midway to roots and edge of garden, the water will dissipate both ways, due to the drip/soak type system it will throughly soak the soil, unlike surface watering where the surface gets wet and the water runs off in little streams, the soaker hose allows the water to seep down and not run off on the surface. Some people dig rings around the plants where the water can pool for the roots when surface watering for that very reason.

Never an issue, just route it so its like midway to roots and edge of garden, the water will dissipate both ways, due to the drip/soak type system it will throughly soak the soil, unlike surface watering where the surface gets wet and the water runs off in little streams, the soaker hose allows the water to seep down and not run off on the surface. Some people dig rings around the plants where the water can pool for the roots when surface watering for that very reason.

Intereating.... thank you.

I love gardening.
DNMommy - it helps to read how to take care of whatever before you attempt to grow it :)
I am sure you don't have a black thumbs, just inexperienced thumbs - don't give up yet :)

And cacti, contrary to popular belief, are not quite as super easy to grow as it would appear.
True, they like bright light and plenty of it, but on the window with full sun and all day they MIGHT be scorched (burned)
and some do get frost damage in winter.
they catch pests and diseases just as any other plants.
yes, they might be over-watered but sometimes over-watering is mistaken for rot, a fungal infection at the bottom of the roots.
they might be also underwatered.

Why don't you try this wonderful houseplant now:
Epipremnum aureum aka Devil's Ivy aka
Golden Pothos
this is the easiest house plant under the sun to grow. It likes moderate to bright light which mean close to any or on bright window (morning and then late late afternoon, no noon heat is best) they do not do well in direct sunlight
and although it will happily grow in the shade, too, the lack of adequate light will cause loss of shading on the leaves - but that is all that will happen. no biggie.
It's a trailing plant which mean the stems will grow and grow and grow down- which you then may support throughout your house with strings or long sticks. they could be trained to go up, too. best to grow it in a hanging basket.
if you wish, you can trim the stems to keep it smaller and bushier. put the cut stems in the water - they'll root easily!

How to easy water - water as soon as the soil on the top in the pot is well dry to the touch. Pothos like to have their soil dry out completely between waterings. be careful, though, as soon as you see leaves drooping promptly water the plant.
Fill the pot to the brim, wait for the water to drain then soak back from the saucer as much as possible,
then discard the excess from the saucer away. repeat until next time.
remember - in the spring, summer and early fall water more often, late fall, winter (the rest period) water less often.
(you will know it)

Once a month you may want to give your Ivy a feed of this fertilizer - is super easy!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51eZ95o2nyL._AC_UL320_SR200,320_.jpg

more info about Pothos:
http://gardening.about.com/od/specifichouseplants/p/Pothos.htm

and good luck! or, should I say - green luck ! :giggle:

a41846925805e484c8730df80aebd671.jpg

.... and I love to watch the young one busying himself as Master Gardener! :thumb:

Fuzzy

yes it's true, but since they have heart shaped smallish leaves pets rather leave them alone.
while they may cause certain unpleasant symptoms they are usually not deadly.
still, caution is good.

I always had (and have) this plant with two cats and two dogs at home, never any problems :)

Fuzzy

Back