Raised Garden

I live 10 minutes from the Soulard Farmers Market here at my parents house. Great place to go.
Soulard.. the place to go.. My sister and my husband's family are all in the St. Louis area. . We have a small area for a garden. We usually do our own tomato's. Little yellow tear drop tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and then the big boy mater for sandwiches and also add yellow, red, and orange bell peppers. Cant wait~! '

I over watered one catus and and didn't water the other one. I have killed over 100 plants

sonocativo, how often do you have to water the plants?
Depends. If you make the soil loose (adding sand and other stuff) the water drains fast. I use TopSoil and it stays wet ( Im putting mulch on top to help keep the water from evaporating in the sunlight too) If you have loose soil a soaking or soaker hose works wonders just check the soil and keep moist ( can range from a daily watering or every couple days ) I will be soaking the raised garden once a day (evenings) so the tomatoes will be big and juicy. The bigger you want the tomatoes the more water they need. DO NOT WATER THE ACTUAL PLANTS / FRUITS !!!!
If you spray water on the tomatoes it causes them to split, due to crap in the water supply ( chlorine and other stuff) natural rain is ok.

I was told it's best to water the plants early in the morning before it was hot out b/c the water act as a magnifying glass and the sun could burn the plants and to water
again in the evening. And like sonocativo said not to water the plants. Some neighbors has some of those upside down planters the plants are hanging and you water
the roots. Their plants get baked from being right in the sun all day.

I was told it's best to water the plants early in the morning before it was hot out b/c the water act as a magnifying glass and the sun could burn the plants and to water
again in the evening. And like sonocativo said not to water the plants. Some neighbors has some of those upside down planters the plants are hanging and you water
the roots. Their plants get baked from being right in the sun all day.
No, You soak the soil in the evenings, then during the day the heat evaporates the water as well as helps the plants to suck it up into the plants since they lose water through the leaves. Watering early morning doesnt throughly soak the soil like the water seeping through overnight, and if the plants get wet it just damages them, where the natural dew in the mornings is more healthy for the plants that chlorinated water, where the soil also helps neutralize that as well overnight when the plant is least active.

No, You soak the soil in the evenings, then during the day the heat evaporates the water as well as helps the plants to suck it up into the plants since they lose water through the leaves. Watering early morning doesnt throughly soak the soil like the water seeping through overnight, and if the plants get wet it just damages them, where the natural dew in the mornings is more healthy for the plants that chlorinated water, where the soil also helps neutralize that as well overnight when the plant is least active.
We had some small bushes planted at my condo and we told to water them early in morning and at night. When I did have a garden I never watered the plants I watered
the soil. I had so much veggies I was giving it away to my neighbors . I was living in California , I was told to put some beer in small bottle caps and leave it out for
the snails. I thought the person was joking but I tried it and when out at night sure enough the snails were getting drunk on the beer and not eating my plants .
I had to protect the plants the cutworms too. Damn they're nasty buggers !

snails are deadly, if you eat anything they slimed ( not washed good) you can get sick and die from it... forgot what its called, but snails are dangerous in a fruit/veggie garden.

Only thing missing is cilantro for some yummy salsa!
yep, I grew Cilantro and onions at the old house.... My money makers are the Ghost Peppers, everyone wants hem but stores dont sell them.

yep, I grew Cilantro and onions at the old house.... My money makers are the Ghost Peppers, everyone wants hem but stores dont sell them.
My local stores do not sell those either. I guess they do not want the laibility? Some pansie might sue them cause they were too hot!

I love hot peppers. My screen name "Cappy" is from the active component in hot peppers: Capsaicin.

Bad Hunter....lol
When we kids one of dad friends gave a live turkey for thanksgiving and we kept the turkey in
My local stores do not sell those either. I guess they do not want the laibility? Some pansie might sue them cause they were too hot!
Not really way , it's b/c not enough people will buy Ghost Peppers.
You have to find an ethic grocery store .

Last edited:

Actually best time is to water in the mornings. Watering at night can encourage fungus to grow. Also, you want the soil to dry a little between Watering to help encourage the roots to seek out water. This makes the plant hardier and healthier

Back