questions about interpreter policy

I'm not guessing. It depends on the state but generally religious organizations are exempt.

There is also this for Missouri:

Missouri Revised Statutes

Chapter 209
Aid to the Blind--Rights of Persons with Visual, Hearing or Physical
Section 209.321

August 28, 2010

4. A person is not considered to be interpreting pursuant to the provisions of this section if, in a casual setting and as defined by rule, a person is acting as an interpreter gratuitously or is engaged in interpreting incidental to traveling.

The above could be a way for a student interpreter to work without charging a fee.

Also, since AA meetings are confidential, who would blab to anyone "official" that so-and-so is interpreting the meetings if the student does share that information with anyone? That would be breaking the confidentiality of the meeting.

I was wondering the same thing when I thought it was a law. Thanks for the good news!

I was wondering the same thing when I thought it was a law. Thanks for the good news!
I hope it works out.

Here's the definition of a casual setting:

(A) A casual setting is defined as any event in which the sole purpose of communication is social or family interaction and at which no decisions are made with long-term effects of a legal, financial, or medical nature.

http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/20csr/20c2232-3.pdf

I think the AA meetings fit the definition of a social interaction.

I don't know how many interpreters there are in the area, but don't give up on finding a professional to do it pro bono. Depending on the individual situation, some might be willing.

I am curious... how does it work for interpreters and non profit agencies? I have been trying to find one for AA and discovered that interpreter students can't even interprete for my friend in AA simply cuz they do not have license to do so. How in world do they practice if they can't even do it anywhere?!? How do I get a certificated interpreter if they knew they aren't getting paid? It seem like a ose-lose situation. Very frustrating!!! I wonder if u might shred some lights for me and allow me to make the ball rolling at least a little.

Things could get very sticky for student interpreters (and for that matter anybody without formal training) which is why most interpreting programs forbid or at least strongly discourage them from actively interpreting in the community. As one of my instructors explained it, you never know what could happen, so something that starts off fairly innocuous, like interpreting an AA meeting, could potentially spin out into an area that the student is not prepared or qualified to handle, such as a medical emergency. There's also the problem of students not always being well-versed in the codes of conduct simply because they lack the training and experience which could lead to a number of problems for the interpreter, the consumers, and whatever agencies they're involved with. Ultimately, the program rules are there to protect people and not to serve as an inconvenience to folks looking for cheap interpreting services.

As for where we get real-world practice, most interpreting programs have several quarters/semesters of structured practicum where the student has the opportunity to work alongside a professional interpreter.

Back