questions about interpreter policy

SpiceHD

Reaction score
I am curious... how does it work for interpreters and non profit agencies? I have been trying to find one for AA and discovered that interpreter students can't even interprete for my friend in AA simply cuz they do not have license to do so. How in world do they practice if they can't even do it anywhere?!? How do I get a certificated interpreter if they knew they aren't getting paid? It seem like a ose-lose situation. Very frustrating!!! I wonder if u might shred some lights for me and allow me to make the ball rolling at least a little.

I am curious... how does it work for interpreters and non profit agencies? I have been trying to find one for AA and discovered that interpreter students can't even interprete for my friend in AA simply cuz they do not have license to do so. How in world do they practice if they can't even do it anywhere?!? How do I get a certificated interpreter if they knew they aren't getting paid? It seem like a ose-lose situation. Very frustrating!!! I wonder if u might shred some lights for me and allow me to make the ball rolling at least a little.

I've hired interpreters for non-profit theatre productions many times, but we've always paid them, just as we have to pay any union actors, sound and lighting designers, rent for the space, etc.. Same with meetings and shows at my husband's high school -- the school pays them directly. The tough part is finding someone available.

In several meetings I've participated in there have been students and trainees who observe, but I've never yet seen them actually take over from the professional and sign.

Last edited:
I had to laugh at the section that covers lipreading. What an unfair law that forbids an unlicensed friend who signs to interpret, Imagine the cost for an interpreter to do 90 meetings in 90 days.

Exactly! That's why I usually finds advanced asl students (usually when they are one yr away from graduation) to interprete when I was in wisc but in missouri if I find someone, that person will lose the right to get certificate or license to interprete. I am pretty angry about that although I do understand about needing someone who is professional... the non profit is just that...NON PROFIT! All their money comes straight from members... not from organizations. There's no way they can afford one session with a paid interpreter let alone 90 or more! Any ideas of how this works? I know my friend definitely do not want deaf only AA because its way too small world. We usually knows each other despite the fact that person lived 600 miles away most of his/her life. I don't blame my friend one bit at all.

Exactly! That's why I usually finds advanced asl students (usually when they are one yr away from graduation) to interprete when I was in wisc but in missouri if I find someone, that person will lose the right to get certificate or license to interprete. I am pretty angry about that although I do understand about needing someone who is professional... the non profit is just that...NON PROFIT! All their money comes straight from members... not from organizations. There's no way they can afford one session with a paid interpreter let alone 90 or more! Any ideas of how this works? I know my friend definitely do not want deaf only AA because its way too small world. We usually knows each other despite the fact that person lived 600 miles away most of his/her life. I don't blame my friend one bit at all.

Don't give up on establishing a Deaf AA group. Talk to the local AA chapter about it and they can help spread the word. All you need for a Deaf AA group are: two deafies, coffee, the Big Book, and resentment. :)

And then one deaf person get offended cuz friend named an event that affected her that has involved with the deaf person and next thing we know... drama crap goes flying around. That's last thing we need! No thanks! Sorry to say but deaf people usually have hard time seperate themselves from other person and tend to take it too personally. We both experienced that hard way and more than once too. Deaf AA is a no-no.

Don't give up on establishing a Deaf AA group. Talk to the local AA chapter about it and they can help spread the word. All you need for a Deaf AA group are: two deafies, coffee, the Big Book, and resentment. :)
Usually that's the preferred option (except for the resentment).

I had to laugh at the section that covers lipreading. What an unfair law that forbids an unlicensed friend who signs to interpret, Imagine the cost for an interpreter to do 90 meetings in 90 days.
I've never heard of a law that forbids an unlicensed interpreter to be used at an AA meeting. Usually the definition used is qualified. It sounds more like a local policy than a law. Or it could be a state licensure requirement.

Exactly! That's why I usually finds advanced asl students (usually when they are one yr away from graduation) to interprete when I was in wisc but in missouri if I find someone, that person will lose the right to get certificate or license to interprete.
How can someone lose the right to get a certificate to interpret? I've never heard of such a thing.

I am pretty angry about that although I do understand about needing someone who is professional... the non profit is just that...NON PROFIT! All their money comes straight from members... not from organizations. There's no way they can afford one session with a paid interpreter let alone 90 or more! Any ideas of how this works? I know my friend definitely do not want deaf only AA because its way too small world. We usually knows each other despite the fact that person lived 600 miles away most of his/her life. I don't blame my friend one bit at all.
Did you read the section about finding ways to pay for an interpreter? It also mentions using students.

Sometimes all deaf groups work out but if your friend specifically said that he/she doesn't want that then I guess that's out.

I am curious... how does it work for interpreters and non profit agencies? I have been trying to find one for AA and discovered that interpreter students can't even interprete for my friend in AA simply cuz they do not have license to do so.
According to whom?

According to whom?

Some AA groups seem to be stricter with the rules about being anonymous. If a student/professional interpreter isn't part of AA they will not allow that person into the group. Even though they are there for the deaf individual's communication needs only.

According to whom?

According to an interpreter who is a minister and is level 5 (he interpretes in courts etc)

He said some type of deaf agency (kinda like cdhh in wisconsin) said its not allowed.

Some AA groups seem to be stricter with the rules about being anonymous. If a student/professional interpreter isn't part of AA they will not allow that person into the group. Even though they are there for the deaf individual's communication needs only.

I am aware of that and does respect that. But not all of them is as stricted lol

Depending on where they hold their meetings (such as a community building), they would be in violation of the ADA.

If they don't allow any interpreters at all, then it doesn't matter if the terps are students or not, paid or not.

According to an interpreter who is a minister and is level 5 (he interpretes in courts etc)

He said some type of deaf agency (kinda like cdhh in wisconsin) said its not allowed.
That must be a requirement specific to your state then. That is not a national requirement.

There is one more loop hole.

If the AA meetings are held in a church/synagogue/mosque, the certification requirements might be exempted.

That must be a requirement specific to your state then. That is not a national requirement.

There is one more loop hole.

If the AA meetings are held in a church/synagogue/mosque, the certification requirements might be exempted.

Oh for petesake. Are you sure or just guessing?

When I was working in crisis housing for DD adults I had a heck of a time getting into some meetings. We had to call around and see who would let me go. These clients are typically dangrous to themselves or others and are not allowed to be anywhere without me by their sides. It was frusturating at times. I appreciate the privacy and anonymity but people need to realize I am trained and ethics and privacy laws and work regulations prevent me from sharing any information (not that I would anyways, on a purely ethical level.)

I've never heard of a law that forbids an unlicensed interpreter to be used at an AA meeting. Usually the definition used is qualified. It sounds more like a local policy than a law. Or it could be a state licensure requirement.

I am trying to find the link. There was a thread about this but I cannot locate it. All I know is that it is a Class B Misdemeanor to use a non-certified or unlicensed interpreter in an AA meeting, at least in my state of Missouri. It may be at the state's discretion. I wish I knew more. When I find the information, I will let you know.

Oh for petesake. Are you sure or just guessing?
I'm not guessing. It depends on the state but generally religious organizations are exempt.

There is also this for Missouri:

Missouri Revised Statutes

Chapter 209
Aid to the Blind--Rights of Persons with Visual, Hearing or Physical
Section 209.321

August 28, 2010

4. A person is not considered to be interpreting pursuant to the provisions of this section if, in a casual setting and as defined by rule, a person is acting as an interpreter gratuitously or is engaged in interpreting incidental to traveling.

The above could be a way for a student interpreter to work without charging a fee.

Also, since AA meetings are confidential, who would blab to anyone "official" that so-and-so is interpreting the meetings if the student does share that information with anyone? That would be breaking the confidentiality of the meeting.

Back