Question

Sydlie

Reaction score
Okay, here's the deal. Most of you guys probably know by now that I'm a soon-to-be interpreter and blah blah blah. Anyway, enough about me. A friend of mine is deaf and he was raised very strictly oral and we're trying to find convienient ways for him to learn Sign, as he's very interested. I'm trying to help him find local classes to sit in on, but as of yet, they've all conflicted with his schedule. I've been working with him, as have some of our other friends, both Deaf and Hearing, to help him learn, but I was wondering if any of you might know of any computer software available that teaches or tudors in Sign? Any information you could leave would be great.

Thanks!

yeah I know a few.......... but the best way is to attend deaf events.... or study some books....... PM me ;) by the way I know how your friend feels - I am strong Oral - just learned sign from college a few years ago.

yeah there is asl software ... but i suggest best way is take class course it will help that person to understand and have good feedback than software ... that person won't be able to have feedback from software :laugh2:

Originally posted by knightwolf68
yeah there is asl software ... but i suggest best way is take class course it will help that person to understand and have good feedback than software ... that person won't be able to have feedback from software :laugh2:

Yes! Best Buy have them..
I just bought software for my neighbor who is Oral and HoH.. her hearing is downhill.. plus her son is HoH too..
They said that ASL software works wonderful and fun.. we just have fun communicating with signs.. hehe

Originally posted by Sydlie
Okay, here's the deal. Most of you guys probably know by now that I'm a soon-to-be interpreter and blah blah blah. Anyway, enough about me. A friend of mine is deaf and he was raised very strictly oral and we're trying to find convienient ways for him to learn Sign, as he's very interested. I'm trying to help him find local classes to sit in on, but as of yet, they've all conflicted with his schedule. I've been working with him, as have some of our other friends, both Deaf and Hearing, to help him learn, but I was wondering if any of you might know of any computer software available that teaches or tudors in Sign? Any information you could leave would be great.

Thanks!

I'm attaching links for your friend to check out... they're interactive ASL websites where he can actually learn how to fingerspell and learn ASL too. He can learn from the computer. Go back to the computer or click back to learn the word over and over again. I encourage him to socialize with Deafies too, to practice his ASL skills. Since I'm an ASL instructor myself, I always encouraged people to socialize with Deafies and this way it really helps the ASL skills. :D Good luck!! *winksa!*

http://www.signingonline.com/

http://miajava.tripod.com/

I wouldn't completely depend on sign language software. It might be good for simple signs but most signs come from the mind. It would be better to learn it from another person.

bring him to deafies gathering at bar or silent dinner or special event. it really works because i had my ex hearing gf and i brought her to meet deaf ppl occasionally. she learned the signs from ppl... in 3 months later she is more like ASL 2 student.

Sydlie--- if you have this huge desire to be deaf... stab a pencil in both of yer ears.

Originally posted by wickedeyed
Sydlie--- if you have this huge desire to be deaf... stab a pencil in both of yer ears.
Do you even READ what she posts? If so, what does your comment has to do with her post?

Wow, I totally forgot I ever posted this to begin with! Thank you all so much for the information, this is fabulous!. He'll be thrilled! And I just might give him your SN, BabyPhat

Um, who ever said I wanted to be deaf? I'm going to school for interpreting, so if I became Deaf, I think I'd lose my chances at that :( But at least I know sign, so I'd be one step ahead, right?

you could try yahoo.com or askjeeves.com or even msn.com to use the search engine on sign language

Originally posted by Sydlie
Wow, I totally forgot I ever posted this to begin with! Thank you all so much for the information, this is fabulous!. He'll be thrilled! And I just might give him your SN, BabyPhat

Um, who ever said I wanted to be deaf? I'm going to school for interpreting, so if I became Deaf, I think I'd lose my chances at that :( But at least I know sign, so I'd be one step ahead, right?
if you ever lose your hearings, at least you would proably understand exactly HOW it feels to be deaf...

Originally posted by Steel
if you ever lose your hearings, at least you would proably understand exactly HOW it feels to be deaf...
What the hell do you mean by how it feel like to be deaf? There is no different between hearing and deaf except for hear.

Originally posted by kevbo
Do you even READ what she posts? If so, what does your comment has to do with her post?

think about it. a person who becomes deaf will more than likely learn sign language no matter what. he/she will make the time for it, if they really want to communicate.

that comment was all in pun. nearly everything i say is all in pun.

dont forget how the fuck i am sometimes.

Back