Question for shot gun shooters

My Remington 870 16 ga is about 50 yrs old but still looks like new.

Ford vs Ferrari.... Easy choice.

American vs Italian.... Easy choice.

100 year old technology vs modern technology ... Easy choice.

Remmie 870 vs Benelli .. No brainer.

when it comes to gun... easy choice :)

Sigh, maybe you're all right. I should give up on the shotgun. I can't afford another one, and I'm just an old weakling. I'm fooling myself to think that I can still do things that younger healthy people can do. I guess I just hate to be a quitter. I really thought that I had a least a few good years left. :(

Sigh, maybe you're all right. I should give up on the shotgun. I can't afford another one, and I'm just an old weakling. I'm fooling myself to think that I can still do things that younger healthy people can do. I guess I just hate to be a quitter. I really thought that I had a least a few good years left. :(

No way. You still got it.

I've been practicing on my side-by-side coach shotgun. I usually have to quit after about 25 shots because my right middle finger hurts so much. I'm looking for a solution.

Here's the problem. The triggers on my shotgun are one in front of the other. When my trigger finger is positioned in the first trigger (front one), my middle finger knuckle is too close to the back of the trigger guard. When the gun recoils on that first shot, the guard smacks my knuckle. My knuckle and the tissue around it first turns red and swollen, then turns dark purple, and very sore.

When I pull the second (rear) trigger, it's not a problem because there is more space between the guard and my knuckle then, so they don't touch.

I tried fingerless gloves but they don't cover the knuckle. Full thick gloves will protect my finger but then it's hard to finger the trigger. I was thinking I might have to wrapped something around just that finger, maybe some kind of bandage.

Hubby says the problem is my fingers are too short. Since there's nothing I can do about that, do you have any other ideas?

We're going skeet shooting in a few weeks, so I would like to get this worked out.

In previous years, I had a small Rossi single shot, so I didn't have this problem.

Had a similiar issue, fixed it by building up my shoulder strength, holding the shotgun firmer and tighter to my shoulder (lots of black and blue marks and shoulder pain during that phase), and buying shooter gloves with gel packs around the knuckes. Practice, practice, practice. Also-make sure you are just using the tip of your finger and pull on the trigger gently. Otherwise you will change your aim everytime you pull the trigger.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about guns nor shooting them.

But... one idea comes to mind. Have you tried putting on bike gloves backwards? The top part of the gloves is very thin and the bottom part is very padded (usually with gel pads). So put them on backwards and you have the padded part on top of your hand. And I think it would cover up your knuckles. And of course, your trigger finger would be free of fabric.

Just an idea...

Disclaimer: I know nothing about guns nor shooting them.

But... one idea comes to mind. Have you tried putting on bike gloves backwards? The top part of the gloves is very thin and the bottom part is very padded (usually with gel pads). So put them on backwards and you have the padded part on top of your hand. And I think it would cover up your knuckles. And of course, your trigger finger would be free of fabric.

Just an idea...

She would have to cut the thumb portion off.

oh pft!

what about using low recoil load? or using shoulder pad?

competitive-shooter-with-glock-shotgun-sells-and-recoil-pad-on-shoulder.jpg

or.... just find another shotgun that fits you well. As you said - you didn't have any issue with Rossi shotgun so why not stick with that?

Sounds like it's a hand-grip issue, maybe? It's not your trigger finger getting banged up, it's the middle finger?

Maybe strengthen hand grip, or install a different grip on the shotgun so you can hold on to it better, so it doesn't move so easily.

Other than that, maybe you can attach padding to the rear of the trigger guard.

Sounds like it's a hand-grip issue, maybe? It's not your trigger finger getting banged up, it's the middle finger?

Maybe strengthen hand grip, or install a different grip on the shotgun so you can hold on to it better, so it doesn't move so easily.

Other than that, maybe you can attach padding to the rear of the trigger guard.

hmm... could use rubber tape on grip like tennis racquet.

oh pft!

what about using low recoil load? or using shoulder pad?
I wear a vest with lightly padded shoulders. The problem is not my shoulder though.

or.... just find another shotgun that fits you well. As you said - you didn't have any issue with Rossi shotgun so why not stick with that?
The Rossi is a single shot, and at the skeet shoot they prefer double shots.

I always felt like I was wussing out using the little Rossi but maybe I am a wuss and I should use it.

I wear a vest with lightly padded shoulders. The problem is not my shoulder though.

The Rossi is a single shot, and at the skeet shoot they prefer double shots.

I always felt like I was wussing out using the little Rossi but maybe I am a wuss and I should use it.
yea I thought so. Skeet shooting is typically double shots but... what can you do? You can't keep doing this that injures you.

but you know what would be cool? speed-loading Rossi for 2nd shot :lol:

I can definitely imagine people's response :jaw:

yea I thought so. Skeet shooting is typically double shots but... what can you do? You can't keep doing this that injures you.

but you know what would be cool? speed-loading Rossi for 2nd shot :lol:

I can definitely imagine people's response :jaw:

Yeah? Do show us how that'd work.

Shoot from the hip. :P

Back