Question for shot gun shooters

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been practicing on my side-by-side coach shotgun. I usually have to quit after about 25 shots because my right middle finger hurts so much. I'm looking for a solution.

Here's the problem. The triggers on my shotgun are one in front of the other. When my trigger finger is positioned in the first trigger (front one), my middle finger knuckle is too close to the back of the trigger guard. When the gun recoils on that first shot, the guard smacks my knuckle. My knuckle and the tissue around it first turns red and swollen, then turns dark purple, and very sore.

When I pull the second (rear) trigger, it's not a problem because there is more space between the guard and my knuckle then, so they don't touch.

I tried fingerless gloves but they don't cover the knuckle. Full thick gloves will protect my finger but then it's hard to finger the trigger. I was thinking I might have to wrapped something around just that finger, maybe some kind of bandage.

Hubby says the problem is my fingers are too short. Since there's nothing I can do about that, do you have any other ideas?

We're going skeet shooting in a few weeks, so I would like to get this worked out.

In previous years, I had a small Rossi single shot, so I didn't have this problem.

How about attaching some sort of padding to the back side of the guard?

I have never shot a side by side, or one with two triggers... Trying to see how comfortable it can be... Kinda confusing.

How about attaching some sort of padding to the back side of the guard?
That's an idea. The question then is, what to use and how to apply it? :hmm:

I have never shot a side by side, or one with two triggers... Trying to see how comfortable it can be... Kinda confusing.
Maybe I can make a picture.

TCS told me the side-by-side his grandfather had was two triggers side-by-side.

TCS has an over-under with one trigger that fires each barrel sequentially. To me, that's confusing. :giggle:

Moleskin like for hiker's blisters on the knuckle that gets hit.

Trigger-finger positions:

Attachments

• triggers.jpg
    triggers.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 19
  • front_trigger.jpg
    front_trigger.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 14
  • back_trigger.jpg
    back_trigger.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 12
Smaller gun? :dunno2:
A coach shot gun is smaller than a regular one (shorter barrel, lighter weight).

The Rossi that I have is smaller (it's a youth model) but it only fires one shot at a time, and the skeet shooting requires two sequential shots.

I think I need to work out to build up my strength. :giggle:

Reba, I am not visualizing how you are hurting your knuckles. Could you demo via images just how you are getting sore? What guage is it?

The alternative just might be that over/under. What guage is it?

Reba, I am not visualizing how you are hurting your knuckles. Could you demo via images just how you are getting sore?
Umm, no shooting allowed in the house. :giggle:

It's the recoil. It shoves the backside of the trigger guard into my right middle finger bent knuckle.

What guage is it?
We both have 20 ga.

The alternative just might be that over/under. What guage is it?
Too long and heavy for me. It's a 20 ga.

:ty:

It looks like the consensus is get some kind of wrap/bandaging material, such as Dr. Scholl's or other medical foam tape. I'll go to the store tomorrow and search.

I might need to do a little experimenting with various kinds. It has to have a thick pad but still allow the finger to bend and grip.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again, everyone. :)

Sounds like you might have the wrong grip for the shotgun. Have you tried moving the hand back further, so only the fingertip (between the tip and the first crease) touches the trigger? A lot of times, the hand is too far forward and it is a matter of changing habits, hard to do, I know.

Umm, no shooting allowed in the house. :giggle:

It's the recoil. It shoves the backside of the trigger guard into my right middle finger bent knuckle.

We both have 20 ga.

Too long and heavy for me. It's a 20 ga.

Aha, I understand now.....hmmmm, how about pulling back with a little more oomph with your other arm so that the recoil is lessened. After all, it is only a 20 guage....if it takes just the standard 2 3/4 inchers....

Sounds like you might have the wrong grip for the shotgun. Have you tried moving the hand back further, so only the fingertip (between the tip and the first crease) touches the trigger? A lot of times, the hand is too far forward and it is a matter of changing habits, hard to do, I know.
Hubby already had me use less of my index finger on the trigger. Just the first joint (tip), as you say. I will practice that more. :ty: for "tip" about tip. :giggle:

Shot guns are not my ideal. I much prefer revolvers. However, for skeet....

Aha, I understand now.....hmmmm, how about pulling back with a little more oomph with your other arm so that the recoil is lessened. After all, it is only a 20 guage....if it takes just the standard 2 3/4 inchers....
I guess I do need more practice and strength. More oomph! :lol:

I don't know why I've been so tired and weak lately. What a wimp! :giggle:

I guess I do need more practice and strength. More oomph! :lol:

I don't know why I've been so tired and weak lately. What a wimp! :giggle:

:lol: I didn't mean it in that way; I was just thinking of the possibility of you letting the gun jump around in your hand/shoulder when you shoot. And if that's the case, just pulling the stock harder against the shoulder might reduce that......

:ty:

It looks like the consensus is get some kind of wrap/bandaging material, such as Dr. Scholl's or other medical foam tape. I'll go to the store tomorrow and search.

I might need to do a little experimenting with various kinds. It has to have a thick pad but still allow the finger to bend and grip.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again, everyone. :)

I know nothing about guns but just going by the photos and description I am wondering if it would work to pad the part of the trigger guard that is hitting you rather than bandage your hand? That would also have the advantage of being something that could be left on rather than needing to be reapplied each time you went shooting.

Back