Question about SEE/ASL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have it bass-ackward.

ASL was a language long in use way before the manual code of SEE was developed. SEE confiscated ASL signs, put them into the wrong order, and tossed in initializing, and added prefixes and suffixes.

For a moment, I thought you said a bad word!!! :lol:

I'm feeling a sense of deja vu.

Anybody want to guess at who I'm getting at?

My brain is fried with learning about the new curriculm for 3 days (44 states are involved so it is an exciting time! ) so pls tell me who?

Yet, I am bilingual already. I primarily speak English and Choctaw. I have masters in English as well.

Oh...another one....oh boy.

Written English is just a mode yet English is the language. Reading is fundamental.

Yes it is which is why I teach at a BiBi program because I believe reading is fundamental so our students learn both languages.

This is very clear. Since you are getting technical, this is actually my technical point of view. However, Signed English by itself is indeed a language since it uses English, may it be a mode or not. Written English is a mode (since we are technical) but is a recognized language by the general public, is it not?

Yep. That is what I am saying - just not in a technical aspect.

Yep. Same answer as above.

Thank God! Otherwise I would be typing "Strong doubt me" and think that's English.

I am very aware English is mandatory in the business word or you will not be successful. This is why I am thankful I never learned ASL to begin with. Kudos goes to my parents.[/QUOTE]

Another audist in our midst!!!! Beware!!!

My writing style is fine. Yours is not.:giggle:

Do you realize who you are talking to? The GREAT BOTTS....she is very playful and creative with written English. I would value that over little grammatical errors!

I've been noticing something similar among all oralists - they all have a tendency to show off their intelligence and education which is something I understand very well. When you grow up in a world that doubts your abilities and your intelligence, you work harder to prove you're not "dumb" and you feel more of a need to prove it.

So, when one questions or challenges them on AD, they don't take it well and will either flare up or get condescending. I've seen it happen over and over and over again on AD.

Yea, I know...lack of self-esteem of years and years of trying to be the top dog in the heairng world so instead they come and try to put down what they percieve as the weaker minority group. f** that s***!

ASL doesnt have a written form because of the 5 components wouldnt be incorporated if it had a written form.
That's what's so great about vlogs and other video ASL presentations. ASL now has a way to be recorded for posterity and disseminated for widespread sharing. The development of writing enabled the recording of oral language communication, and the development of video technology has enabled the recording of visual language communication. The barriers of time and space to visual communication are coming down. :applause:

Gosh, Sailerboy sounds too much like Barry "Bullshit" Sewell. Sheesh.

Dude, Reba is Ms. Congentiality here! :roll:

Sounds like Kokonut's gratefullness for not learning ASL as his primary language. Talk about deja vu!

Ummm...I tried to find Google's thread something about questioning why do Deaf people have a lousy English grammar in general? Did I miss something? :/

OOhhh, nevermind. That was sailerboy's. But wait a minute...sailerboy and Google have the identical personality.

OOhhh, nevermind. That was sailerboy's. But wait a minute...sailerboy and Google have the identical personality.

I agree but I also think Kokonut and Google have the same personality as well. :hmm:

Sounds like Kokonut's gratefullness for not learning ASL as his primary language. Talk about deja vu!

Hmm, I wonder does he have another account - sailerboy or Google. Maybe not.

Edit: I've checked sailerboy's posts and he says that he is a teenager. But I suspect sailerboy and Google may be the same person or that they may know each other personally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back