Question about SEE/ASL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said death threat- I said threat. And I don't find it to be funny or appropriate to make jokes about thongs like that assosciated with other people. I'm not playing the victim. I'm stating that I don't appreciate the references, especially when a number of them have included me.

I never said death threat- I said threat. And I don't find it to be funny or appropriate to make jokes about thongs like that assosciated with other people. I'm not playing the victim. I'm stating that I don't appreciate the references, especially when a number of them have included me.

Wah, wah, wah. If you can't handle adult exchanges, don't involve yourself in adult conversations.

maybe this has been asked before but here it goes.

Im pretty sure the majority of hearing people that knows sign its actually SEE instead of ASL. And I have met a few deaf that only knows SEE

So my question is, if your primary is ASL and you're signing with a person that signs SEE is there a difficulty in understanding each other?

I grew up using SEE especially with my hearing family. I have never had difficult understanding anyone who uses SEE for communication. I STILL sign in SEE aloud while reading my books and also reading the threads here on this message forum.:D

But I use all three methods of signing: ASL, SEE and PSE. I usually sign in ASL mostly with some PSE and a little bit of SEE all together for the most of the time in person and making vlogs.

I grew up using SEE especially with my hearing family. I have never had difficult understanding anyone who uses SEE for communication. I STILL sign in SEE aloud while reading my books and also here on this message forum.:D

But I use all three methods of signing: ASL, SEE and PSE. I usually use ASL mostly with some PSE and a little bit of SEE all together for the most of the time in person and making vlogs.

Do you use all of the artificial prefixes and suffixes that go with SEE?

Oh, I never forget my 5th grade graduation day, I volunteered for signing (of course in SEE!!) besides with 2 of my classmates giving a graduation speech to the audience.

Last edited:

Do you find it difficult to match what is in your head with the artificial additions? Most people find it very difficult because the flow is interrupted. I'mtired really interested in your experience, because I get so tired watching SEE that I forget what the person is signing.

Nope! Oddly enough, reading ASL grammars overwhelm me. It makes me :dizzy::dizzy: It's just my habit and like to stay that way. I do love ASL, my ASL skills has been improving from 25-30% to more than 50%. I earned it after rehearsing for my first experience on stage drama of Vagina Monologues with a lot of help from my Deaf friend who teaches ASL at the University. I feel around 75% right now. I feel so good after learning more while watching Deaf people's vlogs in ASL.

Nope! Oddly enough, reading ASL grammars overwhelm me. It makes me :dizzy::dizzy: It's just my habit and like to stay that way. I do love ASL, my ASL skills has been improving from 25-30% to more than 50%. I feel around 75% right now. I feel so good after watching Deaf people's vlogs.

Interesting. I get so tired when someone is signing SEE that I forget what they are trying to tell me.:giggle: I tried using SEE as a teaching tool with my son, and before I could get half way through a sentence, he was looking around trying to find something else to do.:P

A lot of friends of mine told me that my ASL is far greater than my brother's.:giggle:

No kidding. That was absurd, too. Hearing people can be so sensitive.

I've been noticing something similar among all oralists - they all have a tendency to show off their intelligence and education which is something I understand very well. When you grow up in a world that doubts your abilities and your intelligence, you work harder to prove you're not "dumb" and you feel more of a need to prove it.

So, when one questions or challenges them on AD, they don't take it well and will either flare up or get condescending. I've seen it happen over and over and over again on AD.

I've been noticing something similar among all oralists - they all have a tendency to show off their intelligence and education which is something I understand very well. When you grow up in a world that doubts your abilities and your intelligence, you work harder to prove you're not "dumb" and you feel more of a need to prove it.

So, when one questions or challenges them on AD, they don't take it well and will either flare up or get condescending. I've seen it happen over and over and over again on AD.

Excellent point, and very insightful. And I guess with the hearing parents, it is because they are so unsure of raising a deaf child that they take everything as criticism.

Sure. That's why ASL uses English words. :hmm:

BSL uses British rules, FSL uses French rules, JSL uses Japanese rules, and so on. ASL is the only one that uses American-English vocabulary and completely butchers up grammar. Ironically, ASL is derived from FSL which explains the horrid grammar structure.

You must not like to read a book.:giggle:

What English words? Care to explain?

Explain why SEE and ASL shares many signs.

Only one logical explanation. ASL is supposed to be English.

Suggestion: Go to YouTube and pick out a FSL video. You'd notice grammar structure are strikingly similar. In fact, I know written French and the structure of ASL is remarkably similar.

Spanish and Italian have similiar rules but it doesnt make Spanish a broken down version of Italian. You are obviously not familiar with the field of linguistics.

By this logic, a book is not written in ASL. A book is not written in dialects - much like French dialect used by Africans. There's many languages that cannot be used to write a book. -_-

I'd like to see Harry Potter written in ASL.:hmm:

You really aren't very intelligent judging by your previous posts on other threads.:laugh2:

ASL doesnt have a written form because of the 5 components wouldnt be incorporated if it had a written form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back