Question about Music and Mapping

I think Jasin was just pointing out the fact that a choclear implant cannot replace what the chochlea does naturally its self.

I have asked the audiologist very similar questions, even asked if I could bring in one of my music CD's and map out my CI to the music. She told me there is no way to put my CD into the mapping software or whatever. I totally understand what you are going through. Hang in there! :)

I have asked the audiologist very similar questions, even asked if I could bring in one of my music CD's and map out my CI to the music. She told me there is no way to put my CD into the mapping software or whatever. I totally understand what you are going through. Hang in there! :)

welcome back, suzi! smile.

thanks so much! i'll be sure to keep you updated as to what i learn over the next week or so after my ci surgeon has an opportunity to read my ct scan results.

I think Jasin was just pointing out the fact that a choclear implant cannot replace what the chochlea does naturally its self.

of course it can't. a ci and the cochlea are 2 completely different things, but that doesn't mean a ci can't replicate the natural sounds of music. what i hear with my ci's is better than what i heard in my pre-hearing aid days.

of course it can't. a ci and the cochlea are 2 completely different things, but that doesn't mean a ci can't replicate the natural sounds of music. what i hear with my ci's is better than what i heard in my pre-hearing aid days.

It is a machine so quality will never be what it is naturally with the choclea its self.

It is a machine so quality will never be what it is naturally with the choclea its self.

same thing with cars. people expected too much out of what cars they're driving - bmw, ferrari, porsche, etc. to each their own....

I think people sometimes expect to much out of their cochlear implants.

...and those are the people who never should have received a ci in the first place. i was always told to have low expecations for what i'm able to hear with my ci. on the day of my first and second ci activations i was expecting to hear only environmental sounds, but was pleasantly surprised to find that i could also hear speech (although i could not understand it). as the ci mantra goes, "high hopes, low expectations."

Hear Again - Well, when you go to your audiologist and they do the mapping, there's red, green, and blue bars. I totally neglected the fact that you're blind. Basically the Red bars is the lowest threshold, the green bars are the highest threshold. The number in between the two bars determines your DR. When people are first activated it's very small, so the sounds are not as crisp or as perfect as they want it to be. Over time, the DR increases, therefore more clarity of sounds. I believe it can go up to 80, which is VERY rare for people to reach. Average is 30 to 50. I'm at 42 in my left, and I still need more "sounds".

Did the audiologist tell you why the electrodes were turned off? I only had one turned off due to oversensitivity of the nerve and "out of compliance". Since then, everything sounded SO much better. Kinda strange that you need to have electrodes to be turned off to hear better!

Glad things are sounding great!

BTW - Aretha Franklin's song was good, but it didn't meet her potential because it was so cold, so the cold affected her singing voice. I think people who are audiophiles will totally notice, not someone like us...I know I couldn't. :-D

Bring your iPod or CD walkman. I know it's a pain in the ass because the audiologist has to make the map through their computer first, then you have to be disconnected to listen to music CD, then if you don't like it, the process starts over again. It took my audiologist two tries to get it right. If you want to be anal about what music sounds like, this is what you have to do. I'm very picky about how my music sounded and I made sure that it's right.

Right now, it's not bad, but I'm not hearing as much out of my left like I used to, so I have to go back and get it adjusted.

I'm hoping that Cochlear realizes this problem and allows somehow to "save" to disconnect then connect, or connect both the audiologist computer to iPod/stereo or whatever. Music is VERY different than everyday sounds.

Back