Question about Music and Mapping

Hear Again

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i e-mailed my audi to let her know that whenever i hear high frequencies in music, they sound off-key and one or two octaves below where they should be. when i asked her if this could be remedied, she said it would be difficult to work around, but that it may improve over time. what do you think? is it possible that frequencies that sound off-key could be corrected with a new map? i know the only way i can find this out is by trying, but i'm just curious about some of your thoughts. by the way, i've had my first ci since december, 2004 and my second since february, 2006. if i need to wait even longer for high frequencies to sound natural, i'm wonder if it will *ever* take place at all. the last time i was able to hear high frequencies with hearing aids was during my senior year in high school which was 21 years ago.

Sounds like a really good question for the Technical team at Cochlear.

Are you are comparing this to your other CI or what you use to hear with your hearing aids?

I don't know the ins and outs of the program for mapping. I wonder if you could affect the high frequencies by shutting one or two off to make the others mix the frequency per say.

I would say, you could work with the mapping and CI's if your Audi is willing to give it a try. No telling if it will even work so if it was me, I would want to know what Cochlear thinks.

From a physical stand point, it may be the position of the electrodes in the cochlea. I can hear lower frequencies with my new 2009 Bilateral CI compared to my older CI 2007. Maybe I am totally off base but I would think this could be related to the depth the electrodes were inserted. It could also be related to the structure of my cochlea.

Having gone through two CI activations and really thinking about it, I bet every person hears slightly different frequencies and the electrode aray may play a part in if a persons voice is the same as what they heard before loosing their hearing.

Steve

steve,

thanks for your comments.

i'm basing my comparison on what i was able to hear before with hearing aids.

Hmm...

The only thing I can suggest you is to BRING your iPod to your mapping and have the audiologist focus on making the music program for you. If you KNOW that you feel the high frequencies sounds "off-key", then you may want her to do a NRT done to make sure that the green bars are meeting up with the blue bars. It may be a little out of wack.

Secondly, try different additional programming capabilities. I find that the music program is different than the everyday program. I use ADRO and Autosensitivity, with higher lower frequencies and lower high frequencies. For everyday, I use Autosensitivity, however, I'm starting to warm up to ADRO...I just find it a tad bit too loud and sensitive to anything.

I've tried my normal programming, but I listen to music in my car so I don't want to hear my engine or any outside noises, plus I like to hear the vocals of my music over the instruments, so that was a bit tricky to adjust.

After I had the map with my iPod and adjusting the lows/highs, music could not sound any better....it was awesome. My audiologist spent about 30 to 40 with just one program adjustment.

Remember, there's 4000 potential ways of how to map your CI. :)

No offense hear again, but you do need to realize that cochlear implants are simply incapable of replicating the quality of sound processed by a natural cochlea.

No offense hear again, but you do need to realize that cochlear implants are simply incapable of replicating the quality of sound processed by a natural cochlea.

actually, what i'm hearing now that 12 electrodes have been turned off is similar to what i was able to hear before i wore aids. how do you explain that?

hi everyone,

i wanted to give you an update as to what i'm hearing in regards to music. ever since my new map was given and 12 electrodes were turned off, i'm hearing *beautifully*! music sounds so crisp and clear now and the high frequencies no longer sound off-key. i honestly think i'm hearing better now than i have in 4 years! <very happy>

no offense but do you realize that not all people hear the quality of sound the same? just because the circle doesn't look perfect circle to you doesn't mean it's not a circle. :roll:

lady,

what do you mean by the "green bars meeting up with the blue bars?"

no offense but do you realize that not all people hear the quality of sound the same? just because the circle doesn't look perfect circle to you doesn't mean it's not a circle. :roll:

thank you, jiro. i can't say i'm surprised by jasin's comments given the fact that he is opposed to ci's.

now that 12 electrodes have been turned off on both of my ci's, i'm hearing music wonderfully well -- better than i have since my pre-hearing aid days.

so yes, it *is* possible for ci's to replicate normal hearing.

thank you, jiro. i can't say i'm surprised by jasin's comments given the fact that he is opposed to ci's.

now that 12 electrodes have been turned off on both of my ci's, i'm hearing music wonderfully well -- better than i have since my pre-hearing aid days.

if it sounds good, feels good, tastes good, smells good, looks good... good enough, right? to each his own....

if it sounds good, feels good, tastes good, smells good, looks good... good enough, right? to each his own....

exactly, jiro.

oops! i meant 6 electrodes on each side -- not 12. (if that were the case, i'd be unable to hear anything. smile.)

So, how do you know that? Have you had perfect hearing and then suddenly lost it and was immediatly implanted with a CI? If not, then you have no idea what a CI sounds like.

So, how do you know that? Have you had perfect hearing and then suddenly lost it and was immediatly implanted with a CI? If not, then you have no idea what a CI sounds like.

thank you, faire_jour. it's funny how people who don't even have a ci can tell a CI USER how it is supposed to sound.

Lisa, that is wonderful! I am so happy for you as I know how important music is to you. Awesome!! (even if it is only six electrodes :) )

Lisa, that is wonderful! I am so happy for you as I know how important music is to you. Awesome!! (even if it is only six electrodes :) )

smile. i'm so excited to have my music back. it sounded awful on the first day my audi turned off the electrodes, but 24 hours later, it sounded much, much better. today it sounds just beautiful. i guess that goes to show how quickly our brains can adapt to these kinds of changes when necessary.

smile. i'm so excited to have my music back. it sounded awful on the first day my audi turned off the electrodes, but 24 hours later, it sounded much, much better. today it sounds just beautiful. i guess that goes to show how quickly our brains can adapt to these kinds of changes when necessary.
Yup...
Were you able to catch the quartet from the inauguration? How did it sound to you? (if you did)

Yup...
Were you able to catch the quartet from the inauguration? How did it sound to you? (if you did)

unfortunately, i didn't hear any of the inauguration because i was severely dizzy that day and couldn't wear my ci's. one of my neighbors came over and typed on my telebraille repeating snippets of what she heard on cnn. having said that, i plan to watch the entire inauguration on youtube when i have time. i'm especially looking forward to hearing aretha franklin sing, "my country 'tis of thee."

if you can, find the quartet. Yo Yo Ma, Ishtak Perlman (not sure of spelling) but the music was wonderful. Cello talking to violin. Even I could tell them apart. What made it even better, if you can picture it in your mind, was the look of pure joy on the face of Yo Yo Ma while he was playing. He looked so happy!!

if you can, find the quartet. Yo Yo Ma, Ishtak Perlman (not sure of spelling) but the music was wonderful. Cello talking to violin. Even I could tell them apart. What made it even better, if you can picture it in your mind, was the look of pure joy on the face of Yo Yo Ma while he was playing. He looked so happy!!

i'll definitely check it out. one thing i wish i could have seen are the reactions of attendees as they listened to obama's inaugural speech.

Back