Question about CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes - So? Does the dictionary definition you are pointing to for "connection" say it matters if the object is under the skin or over?
Are you scared to admit it's connected?

How Nucleus 5 Works | Cochlear
4. The electrical signals from the electrodes stimulate the hearing nerve, bypassing the damaged cells that cause hearing loss, allowing the brain to perceive sound.

What is a Cochlear Implant?
A cochlear implant is an implanted electronic hearing device, designed to produce useful hearing sensations to a person with severe to profound nerve deafness by electrically stimulating nerves inside the inner ear.

Cochlear Implants
Cochlear implants bypass damaged portions of the ear and directly stimulate the auditory nerve.

btw Grendel - in case you're unfamiliar with how cellphone works... your cellphone actually receives electrical signal and it converts signal into sound wave and your "fully-functional" ear captures it.

So if you're going to use cellphone example..... HA would be an appropriate comparison, not CI.

Yes - So? Does the dictionary definition you are pointing to for "connection" say it matters if the object is under the skin or over?

so by your logic... a simple wooden leg and advanced prosthetic leg with electrodes are exactly same thing?

Wirelessly posted

Jiro said:

so by your logic... a simple wooden leg and advanced prosthetic leg with electrodes are exactly same thing?

either way, neither are connected to your brain!

either way, neither are connected to your brain!

so how are ears/eyes connected to brain? by nerves, correct?

I think it's time you stop being silly and acting like we're saying CI is directly connected to brain with wires. You know very well that anything that connects to nerves is connected to brain. That itself is a truly remarkable feat in medical technology.

Wirelessly posted

you guys know full well that the electrode is inside the ear and in no way touches or is attached to, or is connected to the brain. Your ear is your ear.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

you guys know full well that the electrode is inside the ear and in no way touches or is attached to, or is connected to the brain. Your ear is your ear.

If the CI is not indirectly connected to the brain and you can hear... I await the arrival of a non-invasive pocket CI...

No, not at all, one is transmitting signals that reach the brain, the other isn't. Cell phone, CI, pacemaker, etc. transmit signals.

No, not at all, one is transmitting signals that reach the brain, the other isn't. Cell phone, CI, pacemaker, etc. transmit signals.

Your game's getting weaker here........ Jiro hit it right on. Can't even compare Cell phone and CI.

Wirelessly posted

Would you consider having electrodes in your head to see what it is like? :giggle:

If the CI is not indirectly connected to the brain and you can hear... I await the arrival of a non-invasive pocket CI...

Me too: right now the electrode has to be VERY close to the nerve fibers for the signal to transmit. Maybe someday it can be further and further away. As far as a pocket.

yech.... Not gonna bother with this because I'm not going to do it like Mayweather's cheapshot on Ortiz.

Me too: right now the electrode has to be VERY close to the nerve fibers for the signal to transmit. Maybe someday it can be further and further away. As far as a pocket.

why? you don't want CI for yourself in case you went deaf? :hmm:

*prolonged silence*

*checking if my HA batteries are dead*

Wirelessly posted

Beowulf said:
Wirelessly posted

Would you consider having electrodes in your head to see what it is like? :giggle:

absolutely. If they were doing a study where they implanted CIs in people with normal hearing, i would be first in line.

absolutely. If they were doing a study where they implanted CIs in people with normal hearing, i would be first in line.

of course.... you'd say that because you know it would never happen :lol:

cute but try to be less fake this time.

Wirelessly posted

No you wouldn't.

Even if I had perfect hearing I would not have been first in line myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back