purple smartVP

Okay I got SmartVP installed yesterday. :)
There are some pros and cons
Pro
SmartVP powered by Android OS
Flasher is really bright
Internal ringer
All in one design
Have two USB ports and SD card
Wifi remote.(It doesn't have IR)
Wifi ready
Some neat applications like Find it
Con
Cant turn off. Running 24/7. Wasting electricity
Require two ac adapters plugs. One for the flashers and one for SmartVP
Screensaver is not HD.
My remote is now broken :(
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me anytime :)

Pro
Flasher is really bright
Internal ringer
All in one design
Wifi ready
Con
Screensaver is not HD.

What s difference between nTouch VP and SmartVp? Video quality?

Pro
Flasher is really bright
Internal ringer
All in one design
Wifi ready
Con
Screensaver is not HD.

Looks like you abused the remote too much

pics? How did you like the video quality? did you try calling to various freinds with different platforms setup like to n touch, old vp200, z products, mirail softphones?

Waste electricity? Really it is not much, I would say about 25 watts for SVP, multiply that by 24 hours and 30 days which means 18000 watts hours or 18 KWH, times that to average electricity cost at 10 cents is what? $1.80 a month.

25 watts on VP is pretty much over-estimated the power consumption. Since you said it requires two power adapters, that is how I come up with realistic estimate of how much power is used. Its not that much really. Your TV is worse on power consumption than VP itself :)

Do SmartVP have emergency button if your remote control is broke and you need to call tech support? NtouchVP has emergency button, if your remote control is broken, don't you know you can press button with "SVRS" on the left side of main unit to answer the call or call tech support for remote control replacement?

Have you had NTVP? If so, comparing to the video quality with SVP, better, same or worse?

I now have P3 which uses H.364 while my VP-200 still using H.363 and I still note that VP-200 have better video quality than P3! I can see why, don't forget who made these SVP? Its TelyHD designed for SkyPe which is really focus on hearing audience and Hearing people don't sign much but uses more voice. Because hearing people don't sign which makes it easier for TelyHD video and audio to look and sound more superior than Sorenson's Video/sound. That is why they were able to do VCO better. So Purple only add on flasher system on top of it, thats why there is two power adapters. Sorenson's mind really pretty focus on Deaf's needs when it comes to video so they wrote codec where there is intensive hand movements and had made it more clearer for Deafies.

I still don't have SVP, and can not determine at 100% which one is better.

Con
Screensaver is not HD.

SmartVP took people to wait 3 minutes (average) to reach the interpreter.

FCC requirement is for people to reach interpreter within 60 seconds so interpreter can get paid by FCC.

Purple SmartVP have too many products, but not enough interpreters.

Purple SmartVP = FAIL!

No, 60 seconds for text based relay, 3 minutes for VRS

Its based on average not singular call.

For text based relay, they must meet average of no more than 60 seconds of holding time each day, if they fail, they don't get money for that day.

For VRS, holding time must be average of no more than 3 minutes in a month, if they exceed 3 minutes in any month, they lose whole month of check from FCC.

SmartVP took people to wait 3 minutes (average) to reach the interpreter.

FCC requirement is for people to reach interpreter within 60 seconds so interpreter can get paid by FCC.

Purple SmartVP have too many products, but not enough interpreters.

Purple SmartVP = FAIL!

For text based relay, they must meet average of no more than 60 seconds of holding time each day, if they fail, they don't get money for that day.

For VRS, holding time must be average of no more than 3 minutes in a month, if they exceed 3 minutes in any month, they lose whole month of check from FCC.
Damn you! How do you know everything? That also includes your previous post.

Waste electricity? Really it is not much, I would say about 25 watts for SVP, multiply that by 24 hours and 30 days which means 18000 watts hours or 18 KWH, times that to average electricity cost at 10 cents is what? $1.80 a month.

Where did you go to a college? :hmm:

Yes, that's my point. Let's see Purple SmartVP can beat the VRS holding time no more than 3 minutes in a month. :D

Hunterdeaf

I want my Sorenson back, should not of let Purple install a Smart VP for me! Sorenson best for Deafy...:wave:

Let's just say he worked in the VRS industry. It helps to know the in and outs when answering questions, just as I did.

Also the power thing is common sense using OHM's law. Just google ohms law calculator and look at the power supply output. put in the values and viola!!

Well, I used to work for relay service for over 5 years.

For electrical, I am certified electrician. :)

I also used to work in manufacturing sector for several years.

I am very neutral toward to all VRS companies at this time, and don't want to be biased based on who I did work for. I also have friends that works for one of these companies as well.

I am hoping that I can return to VRS industry again. It depends on my health, and at this time. I am not even ready go back.

If anyone has issues with VP-200 or NtouchVP can always PM and I could either help you or explain you how to get help. I value equilvent communication access for Deaf *AND* hearing people.

And I went to Gally and NTID/RIT. :)

And finally, no I don't know everything. Nobody really knows everything, really impossible for anyone to know everything. :)

Last edited:
Yep! Ohm's law is powerful formula to figure out the electrical requirements.

Let's just say he worked in the VRS industry. It helps to know the in and outs when answering questions, just as I did.

Also the power thing is common sense using OHM's law. Just google ohms law calculator and look at the power supply output. put in the values and viola!!

Hold your horse! I have seen people tend to blame the unit itself as core problem. Most of the time, the VP itself got nothing wrong with it. It is how the set up was made, and the condition of connection can make huge difference. How many videos are running. For instance, if you watch Netflix and chat on VP at same time, it can impact the VP video quality. All video stream has, and will always be #1 bandwidth HOG. Most ISP hates video stream than any other kinds of applications.

For instance, if you happen to get off air TV shows and you noticed poor video quality on TV, do you blame on TV firsthand? Nobody ever blames on TV itself, but antenna. Same concept, if you have lousy antenna and your TV will always sucks no matter how hard you try to tweak your TV.

Finally, it is STILL too early to tell if SmartVP is good or not for Deafies. We should wait about 2 years before knowing for sure.

I want my Sorenson back, should not of let Purple install a Smart VP for me! Sorenson best for Deafy...:wave:

Think about this, do you think VRS company regardless size can afford go beyond 3 minutes average? They watch their watch like Eagle and will adjust the demand over time. One whole month of minutes could yield in tune of millions dollars, who wants to risk losing millions of dollars?

Yes, that's my point. Let's see Purple SmartVP can beat the VRS holding time no more than 3 minutes in a month. :D

I find it lack that there are two power adapter required for SmartVP. That's not really smart. Because it would be add more wired along with phone signaler for deaf. Wait.. does it have telephone jack?!?

I was told yes it does comes in with telephone jack and will work with sonic alert receivers.

I agreed with you about double power adapters. I can see why, but still they could have redesign to have it accept only one power adapter. I believe one power adapter is not enough due to flasher and signal sent for flashers.

And remember to develop a unique equipment in small quantity is NOT cheap. Most manufacturers don't like doing business with limit amount of productions. They prefer manufacture at least a million, that is where the real profit is. As for VP, I don't think any VRS companies have made more than fraction of a million of them.

Same concept with TTY, not many made and sold, hence why it cost so much money? If a good quality (At least a million) of TTY was manufactured and sold within time frame, they could easily sell for 50 dollars each. But because they can't do within time frame so cost has to go up to recapture the losses.

I find it lack that there are two power adapter required for SmartVP. That's not really smart. Because it would be add more wired along with phone signaler for deaf. Wait.. does it have telephone jack?!?

I was told yes it does comes in with telephone jack and will work with sonic alert receivers.
What if someone like me has a different model such as Simplicity by Ultratec? If it will not work with SmartVP, then it means that I have to get rid of them and get Sonic Alert, even though my system still works great. $$$

Back