Purple Netbook unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I travel every week for my work and I have a HTPC at home that I would like to take my recorded tv shows with me. I do that with my laptop but I don't want to carry a Laptop and a Netbook.

If I can do it all on a Netbook then I will leave my laptop at home.

For my work database I would need about around 160 Gigs of drive spaces.

And each of my recorded shows are about 4Gigs and with about 10-15 recorded shows so would need about 40Gig to 60Gig of drive spaces.

SSD can be faster than Hard drive

But SSD wears down each write and erase so if you do lots of files deleting or overwriting or logging then you will wear down SSD faster ...

Solid-state drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Limited write (erase) cycles: Flash-memory cells will often wear out after 1,000 to 10,000 write cycles for MLC, and up to 100,000 write cycles for SLC[20], while high endurance cells may have an endurance of 1–5 million write cycles (many log files, file allocation tables, and other commonly used parts of the file system exceed this over the lifetime of a computer).

Ah! Make sense to me.

Netbook is not designer for Media and heavy edit video.

Remember netbook is for Word,Excel, Powerpoint, surf, email, and pictures. So perfect for SSD and not worry about number of cycles. That's why SSD is so small and perfect for business. Also netbook dont have dvd player.

Also netbook is perfect for VRS like Purple.

Just my two cents.

Ah! Make sense to me.

Remember netbook is for Word,Excel, Powerpoint, surf, email, and pictures. So perfect for SSD and not worry about number of cycles. That's why SSD is so small and perfect for business. Also netbook dont have dvd player.

Just my two cents.

Oh what?!?! Netbook don't have any cd-rom, dvd player or whatever include?!

Oh what?!?! Netbook don't have any cd-rom, dvd player or whatever include?!
It doesn't matter, all the drivers you need for webcam and other bs can be downloaded on the internet nowadays. Only IF you need a CD/DVD rom you can purchase it seperately.

It is not necessary to have CD or DVD drive on netbook, the netbook was intended as secondary PC used for travelinng. You STILL can MAP the CD or DVD drive though networking with your main PC. Also with Memorystick, its easier to transfer anything.

It doesn't matter, all the drivers you need for webcam and other bs can be downloaded on the internet nowadays. Only IF you need a CD/DVD rom you can purchase it seperately.

It is not necessary to have CD or DVD drive on netbook, the netbook was intended as secondary PC used for travelinng. You STILL can MAP the CD or DVD drive though networking with your main PC. Also with Memorystick, its easier to transfer anything.
Excatly, and also, I can mention external HDD.. such as I can install Microsoft Office 2007 thru external HDD and it works fine.

Ah! Make sense to me.

Just my two cents.

Recorded TV show .. not designing .. My HTPC is "Home Theatre Personal Computer" It records my TV show for me while I am gone and then I can transfer it to my laptop via network then I can watch it on my laptop during my travel.

Also I have several work application that use huge database for work. Not media but regular busniess database storage.

I don't use or need a DVD player.

I been looking at Netbook because it small size and easy to carry around but I need about 140Gig to 160Gig Drive space.

I am think to buy one online but now Purple come out Netbook so I am curious if enough Drive space then I can buy from Purple save me money because Purple offer discount price that why and have benfit VRS too with it so no need carry another for VRS more simple have "All in One"

Maybe I will check prices on SSD Drive and get Purple Netbook then replace Drive bigger drive myself depend if worth price Purple + New Drive price

Yeah it's a little bigger. I will be fix as long you provide feedback, which is why it's in testing. On my laptop which I happen to have "15, the P3 is smaller

Yeah.. I got 5 issues with P3...

1. Sometimes it gave me BSOD.
2. No resize window or drag the P3 window around the screen (you have to right click on the P3 program on the taskbar and click Move.)
3. Address Book and Call History are not always work.
4. NO Full Screen Option like Viable Vision.
5. P3 kept starting up even tho I unchecked the option for boot up. (you got to manutally delete P3 from Start Up folder.)

I hope that helps. :wave:

I am know about that.

It's wasted of money and time to spend replace the hardware. Look at newegg.com it already have WIFI N and cost under $280. It's better than Dell $400 then spend another $40-$60 for replace the hardware. That's over $450! It's silly!

Did you know that Mini PCI card is outdated?

All netbook use mini PCI express not mini PCI.

2004_pcie_009.gif

Left is Mini PCI express and Right is Mini PCI.

Check Ebay. I found list of these less than $40!

mini pci e card N, Computers Networking items on eBay.com

Why would NewEgg sell those costing so much!? If I got netbook, I would swap it. Still cheap. But I can see the requirement of Intel chipset to work with mini PCI E network card. Purple Netbook use Intel 945 PM/GS Express Chipset (according to Dell site). So what you see on Ebay's Mini PCI-E network card is compatible with netbook.

Here for example: The card Intel Wifi Link 5300 can update the transfering rate of laptops with intel 940/943/945/960/965/975 chipset to 450Mbps.

I found it in Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Wifi-5300...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

It's $17 with free Sh/H.

Catty

Yeah.. I got 5 issues with P3...

1. Sometimes it gave me BSOD.
2. No resize window or drag the P3 window around the screen (you have to right click on the P3 program on the taskbar and click Move.)
3. Address Book and Call History are not always work.
4. NO Full Screen Option like Viable Vision.
5. P3 kept starting up even tho I unchecked the option for boot up. (you got to manutally delete P3 from Start Up folder.)

I hope that helps. :wave:

Thank you. P3 still be Beta testing now. PurpleMail feature not yet to add on it. Address book and Call History is working. I know about No. 5. We should add 'Setting up' icon on P3. We will send feedback to help make it better to Purple Communications.

What s meaning with BSOD?

Thank you. P3 still be Beta testing now. PurpleMail feature not yet to add on it. Address book and Call History is working. I know about No. 5. We should add 'Setting up' icon on P3. We will send feedback to help make it better to Purple Communications.

What s meaning with BSOD?

BSOD = Blue Screen of Death :Ohno:

Yea but it's require for me to have a cd-rom because my daughter can watch dvd/cd for education program on netbook. So that's mean i can buy cd/dvd rom from store and i can add it to Netbook, right?

Yea but it's require for me to have a cd-rom because my daughter can watch dvd/cd for education program on netbook. So that's mean i can buy cd/dvd rom from store and i can add it to Netbook, right?

It can't fit into netbook. You can buy any brand USB DVD/CD-RW Slim External Drive. it costs between $50 and $200. Look for it by Ebay.

Check Ebay. I found list of these less than $40!

mini pci e card N, Computers Networking items on eBay.com

Why would NewEgg sell those costing so much!? If I got netbook, I would swap it. Still cheap. But I can see the requirement of Intel chipset to work with mini PCI E network card. Purple Netbook use Intel 945 PM/GS Express Chipset (according to Dell site). So what you see on Ebay's Mini PCI-E network card is compatible with netbook.

Here for example: The card Intel Wifi Link 5300 can update the transfering rate of laptops with intel 940/943/945/960/965/975 chipset to 450Mbps.

I found it in Ebay Intel Wifi 5300 MIMO 802.11N N Mini PCI-E Wireless Card - eBay (item 180351826407 end time May-29-09 05:52:22 PDT)

It's $17 with free Sh/H.

Catty

You missed my point and not that what I talked about.

Go already to buy $400 with Wifi G from dell.com then spend $17 from ebay

Total $417 plus spend your time to swap the hardware

I buy netbook come with WIFI N for $280 from newegg.com. Save my tons time and dont need to swap anything.

$280 still cheaper than $417.

Also

Purple Netbook have Wi-Fi Options: 802.11g mini-card.... You can easily purchase N wifi Mini PCI card and swap it then install driver accordingly. Simple as is. You don't need wifi N USB.

Google Base: Tp-Link 802.11n Wifi Wireless-N/G Mini PCI Card Adapter

Amazon.com: HQRP 802.11n MIMO Wi-Fi 300 Mb WLAN MiniPCI Card - Supports WPA (TKIP/AES), WEP, MIC, Shared Key, 802.1X - SST Technology for Long Distance & High Interference Environmentl plus HQRP MousePad: Electronics

Dell Wireless 1510 PCI Express Wlan HALF-HEIGHT Mini Card: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

They don't have to buy Wireless N USB adapter.. Wifi mini pci is easy to swap just like you do to SODIMM memory.

Catty

Why you post the link and said about Mini pci that it will work with netbook in first place?
:hmm:

You can buy external DVD drive, OR if you want for free, just map the DVD drive on your computer onto the Netbook, once mapped it, you can even throw that DVD in your computer DVD drive and watch movie on Netbook. I have done that and cost me NOTHING.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/mapdrive.mspx

You can buy external DVD drive, OR if you want for free, just map the DVD drive on your computer onto the Netbook, once mapped it, you can even throw that DVD in your computer DVD drive and watch movie on Netbook. I have done that and cost me NOTHING.

:shock: How do you do that? Does that mean I can reinstall Windows that way?

Oh okay, that's better! I thinkin abt to buy a netbook for me and muh wife because we want to travel for our vacation. So, My daughters can watching the education program on netbook with network driver, then. I will call Purple for discount with netbook before July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back