Psychology of Parents on CI

A

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv8cnaoH4IY]YouTube - opposeAB2072[/ame] <---- I was watching this, and noticed that if the parents are not mentally prepare for CI, their child is disqualified. Is this right for people to turn them down if the parents just want their child to be exposed to enviromental sounds but prefer ASL?

btw, I thought they do an MRI before implanting. I had to go through several testing, and I remember an MRI type of test or something before I was candidate (to make sure there's no tumor or anything like that)

I, personally, think it is more important for a parent to accept the limitations of the CI. Too many are expecting much more than the CI can provide, and as a consequence, force their inability to adjust to the child on the kid. It is very sad.

I, personally, think it is more important for a parent to accept the limitations of the CI. Too many are expecting much more than the CI can provide, and as a consequence, force their inability to adjust to the child on the kid. It is very sad.
YES. They look at the High Acheivers, the ones who do really well with minimal accomondations or the ones where it's almost expected that they'll go to an Ivy League/Big Name University, and they think that their kids can do that too.
A lot of the parents seem to want healthy normal kids or to live their dreams through their kids.....which is so freaking SAD.

The psychological evaluation is to make sure that parents DO have appropriate expectations for the CI. It is also to make sure that they understand the follow up that is neccesary for success with the implant.

And, yes, the child has to have both an MRI and a CT scan before they implant.

Also, if you only want your child to receive access to enviromental sounds and want ASL to be their primary language, I think that hearing aids would be the better choice.

Also, if you only want your child to receive access to enviromental sounds and want ASL to be their primary language, I think that hearing aids would be the better choice.

I don't know if they said how deaf the child is in the video--I do not remember them saying. If the child is totally deaf or very close to it, they might have chosen not to get hearing aids because of the zero to little benefit they would get from it. That's my guess.

hard to explain to you difficult, I understand you are try help about to complication sound static easy problem I experience it. Because not work, my parents accept to respect to me. I am deaf and ASL favorite access full because speak conflict to speak not easy. That is difficult. I know not easy.

Also, if you only want your child to receive access to enviromental sounds and want ASL to be their primary language, I think that hearing aids would be the better choice
Sigh....faire jour that's actually only a very small number of Deaf families. Many Deaf families try to equipt their kids with a full toolbox of options. Meaning ASL abilty but also speech abilty.
Some kids can't get enviromental sounds even with HAs. Even over at Hearing Exchange they say that what's "sucess" for someone isn't nessarily "sucess" for another. Just like with hearing aids, response to CI varies tremendously. There are still audilogically deaf people who are functionally hoh with hearing aids you know.

Sigh....faire jour that's actually only a very small number of Deaf families. Many Deaf families try to equipt their kids with a full toolbox of options. Meaning ASL abilty but also speech abilty.
Some kids can't get enviromental sounds even with HAs. Even over at Hearing Exchange they say that what's "sucess" for someone isn't nessarily "sucess" for another. Just like with hearing aids, response to CI varies tremendously. There are still audilogically deaf people who are functionally hoh with hearing aids you know.

A asked if they would give a child a CI if the family only wanted them to have access to enviromental sounds and to have ASL as the child's primary language. I responded that if enviromental sounds and ASL as the primary language was the family's goal, that hearing aids would probably be a better fit than a CI.

I understand you are right! It is process equipment is someing . You can sucess hope be you hearing aid. better than CI is expensive. I am personal because I have really history. You are right . my options.

not every child can get environmental sounds with hearing aids. There are signing deaf who actually implant their child but use ASL as their main language. And there are deaf people who use CI as an access to environmental sounds, Like myself, for emergency

maybe they don't want parents to access to CI because they are afraid these kids would give CI a bad name and make CI look like a failure? (of course the parents still have to take them to mapping or they will be stuck on a limit of sounds).

I am not saying we should implant babies, I'm just asking what wrong with ASL and CI for environmental sounds if thats what the parents choose to do. And why they have to include speech in order for their child to be candidate.

not every child can get environmental sounds with hearing aids. There are signing deaf who actually implant their child but use ASL as their main language. And there are deaf people who use CI as an access to environmental sounds, Like myself, for emergency.

I know that a child who has a CI can have ASL as their first language, but generally those who choose CI's for their child also want spoken language. There is so much comittment required after implantation, why would you do all that if spoken language wasn't desired?

don't be silly. ASL maybe be their family language. Maybe they don't care for spoken English????

Emergency I'm talking about like baby crying, siren, etc. and they can't access that with hearing aids.

don't be silly. ASL maybe be their family language. Maybe they don't care for spoken English????

Emergency I'm talking about like baby crying, siren, etc.

Really, why would a family commit to surgery, MAPings, intense post activation therapy, etc, if they have no interest in spoken language?

How often does a person have such a complete loss that they can't hear a siren with hearing aids?

Also, if the goal is just enviromental sounds the person can chose the implant when they are old enough to choose it for themself.

i am sure they would continue with mapping (with beeping sounds to determine what they need to improve). Just like we get an upgrade with hearing aids.

There are plenty of CI candidates who can not benefit from hearing aids even with environmental sounds and now you tell me that they must be able hear from Hearing aids in order for them to qualify CI?

Maybe these family want auditory imput just like having them wear hearing aids in case they want CI later in the future. Maybe they are doing it in case they want speech later and they have very little benefit from hearing aids.

you have to admit it that you do not want ASL signing family to have access CI for the babies IF they chose this path... maybe you're afraid it will look bad?

i am sure they would continue with mapping (with beeping sounds to determine what they need to improve). Just like we get an upgrade with hearing aids.

There are plenty of CI candidates who can not benefit from hearing aids even with environmental sounds

and now you tell me that they must be able hear from Hearing aids in order for them to qualify CI

Where do I say anything like that?

My question is why would you give your child an implant if you do not want them to have spoken language? Why wouldn't you wait until they could chose for themself? When you decide on a CI for your child you are making a huge commitment. It takes a lot of time and therapy to get used to hearing with it, and for the rest of their life, you have made that choice. If hearing is not a priority for you, why would you do that?

I know that a child who has a CI can have ASL as their first language, but generally those who choose CI's for their child also want spoken language. There is so much comittment required after implantation, why would you do all that if spoken language wasn't desired?

There is only much comittment required if you want your kid to be a poster child.

Only giving away CI's to those who work hard with a spoken language is nasty and reveals an agenda. It also gives less choices to lower classes. "Want a free CI worth thousands of dollars? Then you have to work HARD to prepare your child for an oral deaf school".

It's stuff like this that makes me think that the world would be better without the CI technology, with respect to those who are implanted.

There are plenty of CI candidates who can not benefit from hearing aids even with environmental sounds and now you tell me that they must be able hear from Hearing aids in order for them to qualify CI?

Maybe these family want auditory imput just like having them wear hearing aids in case they want CI later in the future. Maybe they are doing it in case they want speech later and they have very little benefit from hearing aids.

you have to admit it that you do not want ASL signing family to have access CI for the babies IF they chose this path... maybe you're afraid it will look bad?

My child was ASL only when she got her CI, of course I am not saying they shouldn't get a CI, I'm asking WHY they would want it.

Sorry ... but yeah, there are deaf people who can't hear much from hearing aids. Even sirens.

My child was ASL only when she got her CI, of course I am not saying they shouldn't get a CI, I'm asking WHY they would want it.

There's lot of reasons why, so stop asking why. Why everything have to be your idea what CI suppose to be?

Back