PS3 & Blu-ray Players: Why Closed Captioning is Necessary

I have this Blu-ray drive and it works great for my Home Theater PC (HTPC).

My HTPC gear:

Windows MCE 2005
Asus P4C800 Deluxe MB
3 GHz Pentium 4 with HT, 1 MB cache
2 GB G-Skill RAM, DDR 400, 2-3-2-5
Two 250 GB SATA Western Digital HDD
Two VBox DTA-150 HDTV tuner 2.1.705.0 driver
Sapphire AGP HD 3850 (Radeon) with Sapphire's CCC driver, 421.zip
NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder 1.02-223
Lite-On Dual layer DVD burner drive
Lite-On Blu-Ray drive
Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra Version 8
Linksys WiFi-G
Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and mouse
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote Control
Silverstone LC13 HTPC case
Antec 1000 Watts power supply
Sony KDF-60XBR950 60" LCD rear projection TV (use DVI cable)
Rabbit Ears indoor antenna (amplified).

Peter

Blu-ray will not be shown in full 1080p if the video card doesn't support HDCP. Instead, it will be downsampled.

How about 720p? 720p still good to me.

I have this Blu-ray drive and it works great for my Home Theater PC (HTPC).

My HTPC gear:

Windows MCE 2005
Asus P4C800 Deluxe MB
3 GHz Pentium 4 with HT, 1 MB cache
2 GB G-Skill RAM, DDR 400, 2-3-2-5
Two 250 GB SATA Western Digital HDD
Two VBox DTA-150 HDTV tuner 2.1.705.0 driver
Sapphire AGP HD 3850 (Radeon) with Sapphire's CCC driver, 421.zip
NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder 1.02-223
Lite-On Dual layer DVD burner drive
Lite-On Blu-Ray drive
Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra Version 8
Linksys WiFi-G
Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and mouse
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote Control
Silverstone LC13 HTPC case
Antec 1000 Watts power supply
Sony KDF-60XBR950 60" LCD rear projection TV (use DVI cable)
Rabbit Ears indoor antenna (amplified).

Peter

Good job! HD 3850 have DHCP. GPU is good price. I wish you have Wifi-N that's good for data transfer rates.

On a big screen, it does make a difference. I watch 1080p contents all of the times. I can tell if I am watching 720p. Besides, that's not really the point.

Why waste money on 1080p contents if you are going to watch it in a lower resolution?

(shrugs)

That's true if the native resolution of TV is 1920 x 1080. My TV is fours years old and native resolution is 1366 x 768 which is basically 720p but it also supports 1080i (not 1080p). I cannot tell the difference if I set the output of my HTPC to 720p or 1080i because the TV will automatically convert to TV's native resolution.

I plan to buy 1080p LCD TV soon. I am eyeing on the Samsung 57" LCD (LN-T5781F ) with LED backlight. It has a dynamic contrast ratio of 500,000:1 (not a misprint). But it costs $8000!!!

Peter

On a big screen, it does make a difference. I watch 1080p contents all of the times. I can tell if I am watching 720p. Besides, that's not really the point.

Why waste money on 1080p contents if you are going to watch it in a lower resolution?

(shrugs)

You missed my post about technology still grow.

"Digital Cinema 2k, 4k, RED Digital Cinema 2540p, Ultra HD, etc."

When Digital Cienma 2k come out and spend the money buy new LCD/SED/Plasma/projector/Digital Cinema 2k players, etc..

I am fine with 720p LCD 42" for now and stay for 5 years or more later then maybe buy Digital Cienma 2k SED and 2k player. Better than spend money from 480p->720p->1080->2k->4k->blah.

:)

That's true if the native resolution of TV is 1920 x 1080. My TV is fours years old and native resolution is 1366 x 768 which is basically 720p but it also supports 1080i (not 1080p). I cannot tell the difference if I set the output of my HTPC to 720p or 1080i because the TV will automatically convert to TV's native resolution.

I plan to buy 1080p LCD TV soon. I am eyeing on the Samsung 57" LCD (LN-T5781F ) with LED backlight. It has a dynamic contrast ratio of 500,000:1 (not a misprint). But it costs $8000!!!

Peter

Right, the TV will convert it to the HDTV's native resolution. That is why a lot of 480i/p contents look horrible on 720p HDTVs and up because they are forced to be upconverted to the native resolution exposing all of the flaws and artifacts.

Blu-Ray players need to support hard encoding Closed Caption CC

Blu-Ray players need to support hard encoding Closed Caption CC

Blu-Ray players need to support hard encoding Closed Caption CC - Blu-ray Forum

HDMI can not send out Closed Caption. Closed Caption only works at 480i.

There are a lot of DVD that only have Closed Caption most of them are TV shows. Deaf people want to use their PS3 as a upscaler DVD player. So this is a problem.

Blu-Ray need to embed Closed Caption as well on their disc. I know FOX studios do.

Here are some of the reason why deaf people still like Closed Caption over subtitles.

1. Sounds are left out in subtitles like a dog barking and other things. For some reason they put the full script in closed caption.

2. Closed Caption you can change how they display. Color, size, font and so on.

3.When Blu-Ray recorders come out Deaf people like to record a show when they are not come. The only way they can watch the show after it has been recorded is Closed Caption.

Some DVD players do a hard encoding of Closed Caption. They are encoded on the picture. Most of the DVD players that do this are DVD recorders but there are also stand alone DVD players as well.

A lot of deaf people would like to see a firmware update for the PS3 to support "hard encoding of Closed Caption CC."

I don't need Closed Captioning from LCD 42". My DVR and Mac Mini already have built-in CC. They use thru HDMI and work smooth and friendly CC.

I tested Apple - QuickTime - HD Gallery on Mac Mini and it's running smooth. I really hope mac mini will running smooth on blu-ray too.

I will order drive from Drive, Super: Blu-ray 2x, Slimline, Slot Loading - FastMac WHEN price drop as $300 or less. $1k is insane. Plus Apple release new version for Dvd player support Blu-ray.

Mac Mini is WAY FAR SMALLER than blu-ray playerand powerful. I use Mac mini as media for dvd player, family photo shared, Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free., Subtitles - download DivX subtitles from the biggest open subtitles database, etc.

I am happy I don't own PS3 since it kill power bill.

I glad you found your way. I concern about all deaf people and the standard.

Thanks! I glad you know very well. But, darn! Though, these studios are friendly to deaf movie buffs: Universal Studios, Buena Vista, Paramount, Weinstein Company, and Dreamworks have captioning on most bonus materials. :)

However, advertising programs and most movies through by broadcast television are already captioned by FCC requirements.

that's good and still thing keep changed plus some deaf people like us got lost and confused about HDMI and DVD player not working with CC without warning which is big BS! Yes, I do know technology very well and the information about changed on CC get too limit than used to be before. I would like have thing be in standard unfortunate for us because there no rules for the products such as DVD or Blu-Ray player to have CC signal and the HDMI too. If someone add to the rule for over all products will make thing easier for us. Oh well let's prayer to see if some good happen.

Back