PS3 & Blu-ray Players: Why Closed Captioning is Necessary

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
Reaction score
PS3 & Blu-ray Players: Why Closed Captioning is Necessary

The HDMI cable, it is a wonderful thing to have. It can carry the 1080p signal bringing you true high-definition video and audio quality. The bad news is that there are drawbacks. The cable itself is only able to transmit a video signal and an audio signal simultaneously.

What this means is that you cannot put any other signal through a HDMI cable because it will not be recognized at the other end. This is an issue for many deaf and hard of hearing people. A lot of deaf people use closed captioning to read the dialogues and background noises so they can become aware of what is going on.

Closed captioning and SDH are different. SDH itself is image-based while closed captioning is ASCII-based. For the last 10 years with the HDTVs on the market, people are still facing issues with built-in CC decoders on their HDTV sets. There are a few factors in why these are happening. For example, many DVD players are unable to send the CC signal to the HDTV when it is enabled in the progressive mode. The reason why this happens is because the analog CC fills in every 21st line in the interlaced mode. So when it is in the progressive mode, all lines appear at once so the CC signal is unable to find a place to fill in the information.

To read the full blog entry, just click here.

I suggest visit Captioning Sucks! and help to make sure that North American(as well as the world) get the same standard than scattered mess of how CC or OC as well as subtitles are shown.

I wonder how long it will be before they fix this problem.

Think about it... how long was it after analog televisions were made before closed captioning decoders were made available to the public?

I suggest visit Captioning Sucks! and help to make sure that North American(as well as the world) get the same standard than scattered mess of how CC or OC as well as subtitles are shown.

Dumb question: Are there any laws out there that encourage captioning? Kind of like education,,, isn't it important that Deaf people are kept in the loop about everything from commercials to current event etc? Just curious.

I read your link, kind of answered the question, but i don't know what actual regulations cover. What about a focused NATIONAL petition.? How do you affect their pocket book? Is there anyway to boycot to his their pocket book, I know that sounded dumb, but maybe you could petition the sponsors who depend on the popularity of shows for their advertising. If they are advertising during certain shows, couldn't you write them and tell them that you are going to boycot their products as a community unless they insist that people they sponsor carry better captioning?? There I go,,, dreamin again... I just believe that there has got to be a solution out there for some of these injustices, and sometimes it only works if you affect the pocket books of the rich @#$%^ that control the thing. If they think it is cheaper to offer lousey captioning, would they still think so if their sponsors pressured them?

Dumb question: Are there any laws out there that encourage captioning? Kind of like education,,, isn't it important that Deaf people are kept in the loop about everything from commercials to current event etc? Just curious.
The law covers educational programs, not advertising programs or movies.

The law covers educational programs, not advertising programs or movies.

Thanks! I glad you know very well. But, darn! Though, these studios are friendly to deaf movie buffs: Universal Studios, Buena Vista, Paramount, Weinstein Company, and Dreamworks have captioning on most bonus materials. :)

However, advertising programs and most movies through by broadcast television are already captioned by FCC requirements.

To read the full blog entry, just click here.

I don't need Closed Captioning from LCD 42". My DVR and Mac Mini already have built-in CC. They use thru HDMI and work smooth and friendly CC.

I tested Apple - QuickTime - HD Gallery on Mac Mini and it's running smooth. I really hope mac mini will running smooth on blu-ray too.

I will order drive from Drive, Super: Blu-ray 2x, Slimline, Slot Loading - FastMac WHEN price drop as $300 or less. $1k is insane. Plus Apple release new version for Dvd player support Blu-ray.

Mac Mini is WAY FAR SMALLER than blu-ray playerand powerful. I use Mac mini as media for dvd player, family photo shared, Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free., Subtitles - download DivX subtitles from the biggest open subtitles database, etc.

I am happy I don't own PS3 since it kill power bill.

I don't need Closed Captioning from LCD 42". My DVR and Mac Mini already have built-in CC. They use thru HDMI and work smooth and friendly CC.

I tested Apple - QuickTime - HD Gallery on Mac Mini and it's running smooth. I really hope mac mini will running smooth on blu-ray too.

I will order drive from Drive, Super: Blu-ray 2x, Slimline, Slot Loading - FastMac WHEN price drop as $300 or less. $1k is insane. Plus Apple release new version for Dvd player support Blu-ray.

Mac Mini is WAY FAR SMALLER than blu-ray playerand powerful. I use Mac mini as media for dvd player, family photo shared, Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free., Subtitles - download DivX subtitles from the biggest open subtitles database, etc.

You can get a internal blu ray drive and put it in a external enclosure for less than $150. :)

Blu ray players are under $300 now. It's not $1k anymore.

Yes, In other way to get it work. I am not SURE blu-ray can smooth enough thru USB 2.0 and firewire 400. SATA II still faster than them.

Yes, In other way to get it work. I am not SURE blu-ray can smooth enough thru USB 2.0 and firewire 400. SATA II still faster than them.

Firewire 400 is good enough for blu ray playback. It's up to 60 MB/sec transfer rate. I don't know the blu ray's data transfer rate is, I would guess 25 or so MB/sec. USB 2.0 isn't good for video stuff.

The blog entry wasn't just about the PS3. It was about how it should be mandated for video devices including DVD players, Blu-ray players, DVR, HDTV receivers, portable DVD players with LCD screens and more to include CC decoders.

About the Mac Mini, does it support HDCP? (High Definition Content Protection) I haven't checked if it does. It's important that it is in order to play Blu-ray movies in 1080p.

The PS3 consumes roughly the same power as a desktop PC. My PowerMac G4 basically heat up the whole room during the winter which is a nice plus. I have to say that my PS3 is super-super quiet. Even the Wii makes more noise. I'm not going to lie about PS3... it's quite a great machine which is extremely well-designed as far I am concerned.

Firewire 400 is good enough for blu ray playback. It's up to 60 MB/sec transfer rate. I don't know the blu ray's data transfer rate is, I would guess 25 or so MB/sec. USB 2.0 isn't good for video stuff.

You cannot buy external Blu-ray drives yet. only internal as far I know.

ANyway, 60/Mbps sec for firewire... well... that's pushing it. Blu-ray movies itself peak at around 48/Mbps, sometimes even more from what I have observed.

One of my concerns would be if I will be able to play Blu-ray movies on computers via an external drive without any inference or not.

ANyway, 60/Mbps sec for firewire... well... that's pushing it. Blu-ray movies itself peak at around 48/Mbps, sometimes even more from what I have observed.

One of my concerns would be if I will be able to play Blu-ray movies on computers via an external drive without any inference or not.

I'm talking about buying a internal blu ray drive and then buy a external enclosure and voila you get a external blu ray drive for under $150. The external enclosure has serial ATA connectors to connect into USB 2.0/and or firewire.

The blog entry wasn't just about the PS3. It was about how it should be mandated for video devices including DVD players, Blu-ray players, DVR, HDTV receivers, portable DVD players with LCD screens and more to include CC decoders.

About the Mac Mini, does it support HDCP? (High Definition Content Protection) I haven't checked if it does. It's important that it is in order to play Blu-ray movies in 1080p.

The PS3 consumes roughly the same power as a desktop PC. My PowerMac G4 basically heat up the whole room during the winter which is a nice plus. I have to say that my PS3 is super-super quiet. Even the Wii makes more noise. I'm not going to lie about PS3... it's quite a great machine which is extremely well-designed as far I am concerned.

I was not talk about PS3. I was talk everything about DVR, Mac Mini, PS3, etc.

Mac Mini's onboard video do not support HDCP. I don't understand how HD video work fine without HDCP. I guess I have to figure it out in other way.

Well... Power G4 have two sockets are eat up watts than dual cores (single socket)

Most desktop PC still lower watts than PS3.

dvdplaybackqm8.gif

Sequoias tried to tell about that.

Newegg.com - Addonics AE5SACSUF Aluminum 5.25" USB & 1394 External Enclosure - External Enclosures + Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 12X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-4O1S-11 - CD / DVD Drives = blu-ray external drive

I'm talking about buying a internal blu ray drive and then buy a external enclosure and voila you get a external blu ray drive for under $150. The external enclosure has serial ATA connectors to connect into USB 2.0/and or firewire.

Yep!

now you can

SuperDrive DVD, DVD Dual-Layer, CD-R/RW Upgrades for Apple PowerMacs, eMacs, iMacs, PowerBooks, and iBooks at OtherWorldComputing.com

Mac Mini's onboard video do not support HDCP. I don't understand how HD video work fine without HDCP. I guess I have to figure it out in other way.

Blu-ray will not be shown in full 1080p if the video card doesn't support HDCP. Instead, it will be downsampled.

Back