Protein Shakes

I've been thinking about starting with the protein shakes again. Any good brands or recipes? Is it better to buy the pre-made...like vanilla or chocolate or just buy the whey powder?

Vanilla is best to blend any fruits in it. I love banana and pineapple in mine. I use strawberries too with crushed ice mmmm I normally, use the protein shake as a meal for lunch or dinner.

Yeah your post workout should be a shake within 30mins of exercise followed by a light meal with carbs/protein within another 30mins.

EAS light bars taste really good, but if you are able to get a shake in, it's better.

Yeah your post workout should be a shake within 30mins of exercise followed by a light meal with carbs/protein within another 30mins.

EAS light bars taste really good, but if you are able to get a shake in, it's better.

I always get a shake in......I hang out at the gym after and visit. I like the bars for snacks......or breakfast if I am in a rush

I don't drink protein shakes but I do use whey protein powder in my meals.

Cinnamon Bun flavored whey protein powder + all natural peanut butter + water + frozen blueberries all mixed together = yummy protein sludge.

The bars tend to have a lot of sugars and processing etc. I keep them around but I try to get other things first.

I've yet to try making sludge, but I've seen the Scivation recipe video for it. It sounds awesome.

Ready to drink protein drinks cost a lot if you compare it to buying a 5lbs tub. You'll get way more servings out of a tub. Try doing skim milk for your shakes and make it with half milk and half water. I also like to put in a couple scoops of fat-free balkan yogurt in mine. Sometimes some peanut butter and sometimes some cinnamon. I've enjoyed EAS protein, but I'm not too picky so i'll get some of the sale ones instead.

You should drink your shake within 30 minutes after exercise, and you should have some carbs with it as well. Ground up oatmeal is good for it. If you are doing a small shake or snack before your jog, try to do it like 90mins before you head out.

Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site. is a great resource. there is something for everyone.
DJGrace, what is balkan yogurt?? Are you saying to put the oatmeal in the shake?? I'm working on losing weight. I do weight training and cardio and I am a vegetarian. My lower body I do heavy weights and lower weights with higher reps for upper body.
I usually go with grilled chicken or fish before lift and shake after.......

I like the EAS bars
:hmm: I usually have a banana before a workout...should I be doing protein before and after?
Vanilla is best to blend any fruits in it. I love banana and pineapple in mine. I use strawberries too with crushed ice mmmm I normally, use the protein shake as a meal for lunch or dinner.
Do you have a brand you like?? TXgolfer said there can be an aftertaste?
I don't drink protein shakes but I do use whey protein powder in my meals.

Cinnamon Bun flavored whey protein powder + all natural peanut butter + water + frozen blueberries all mixed together = yummy protein sludge.

How do you use the powder? Like in oatmeal and pancakes and things? Is there a flavor change? I am very sensitive to flavor. I can't even stomach a muli-vit.:giggle:

Wirelessly posted

I use Arbonne figure 8 protein powder. Its one of the better of any one I tried. I don't know about GNC how it taste. Arbonne is pretty good as for after taste really can't tell especially the banana and pineapple shake its my best creation lol

Last edited:
Quirky,

You'll wanna do a lot of cardio. Do some to warm up before your workout and do some more after. You don't need to have your heart rate super high up there in the cardio status, it can be a bit lower for more weight loss. HIIT works well, high intensity interval training. Just having something light before you exercise. After is the important part, within 30mins of exercise have a protein shake and then after another 30mins have a small healthy meal.

Balkan yogurt is just a different style of yogurt, just make sure to go fat free. As a vegetarian, you really need to work on your protein levels. Ideally you should consume a 1:1 ratio of protein to fat free body mass. The protein powders are most commonly made into shake type drinks etc, however you can also bake with it. Sometimes I'll throw a bit of powder into my cereal like All Bran. There are many benefits to consuming cottage cheese. A lot of body builders swear by it in their diets and having a couple spoonfuls before bed. You should really work on finding a multivitamin that you can handle, it's very important to your diet.

I've found EAS powder to mix very well and easily and taste good. Try to pick it up when GNC has a sale. And again, don't feel intimidated to check out Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site. it's a great resource and there is something for everyone. Exercise plans, meal plans, inspirational articles etc. Check out the transformations, it's just every day people sending in their stories and what they did to get to their goal.

Personally, I drink protein shakes immediately after working out, especially if I've been lifting weights. That way the protein shake doesn't weigh down my workout, and it gives me protein to feed my muscles after they've been worked to the ground :)

Good luck! :)

I think you have to find a protein shake that works for you, because I have tried some protein shakes that didn't do anything at all. I also add 1 cup of egg-whites into my protein shakes, which works extremely well for me.

How do you use the powder? Like in oatmeal and pancakes and things? Is there a flavor change? I am very sensitive to flavor. I can't even stomach a muli-vit.:giggle:
Mix it with other ingredients. No cooking needed. There are no changes in flavor and it's pretty delicious.

Back