Implement an Audism policy in the AD Guidelines

• Yes

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
I am late-deafened and am in the process of learning ASL. I too get offended with the audist attitude, and feel somewhat like TXGolfer. At first I didn't know about it, but through reading threads here on AD, I learned about it and have made an opinion for myself.

writing and language have always been one of an audist's reasons why hearing and speaking is better

I wonder if those two don't sometimes go hand in hand.....

Dunno... I am guilty of doing this. Unconsciously, I would be more inclined to help someone who write like Mrs. Buckets or PFH than others because I have a hard time understanding glossing without visual representation.

i found it discrimining because I grew up "hearing" with my aids with very little help with writing. So I usually write what I hear.

Audism has always been a thorny subject for a long time, it was defined in 1977 but buried so deep in the books.

It was just too thorny; Deaf elitists would actually practise audism themselves without realising it. Systematic audism, the Deaf elitists actually suffered from systematic audism when they in turn practised audism on others.

Some Deaf elitists would assume other Deaf people with a lower "d" didn't understand Deaf culture because they weren't educated about the Deaf-World, they didn't go to the Deaf institution, they weren't from a Deaf family and they didn't have a Deaf identity.

Systematic audism had to be broken free in order to analyse ourselves to realise that we actually did this to others because hearing people did this to us. We needed to self-project the audism towards the weaker kind. We were viewed as the weaker kind by the hearing people therefore we had to find the weaker kind; DeafBlind, Deaf with physical handicaps.

Yes, audism is thorny and still is. It is hard to accept and discuss audism because it means we have to seek within ourselves our wrongdoings towards our own community.

It starts with ourselves and it starts with our community; AD.

I'm still waiting for clarification on the P.S. statement I made at the end of my post # 17.

Before we get carried too far away here, first things first: That sentence referenced above, #6 is referring to hearing people. I was taken aback at that.

Separately, I, personally, don't see how there can be deaf to deaf audism, given the definition of audism.

Again, separately, this word was coined in about 1974 and has not yet been accepted as a "legal" word.

P.S. Posted at about the same time so let me go look........# 6 says "Hearing people.........."

Yes, if it was up for me to redefine the principles, I would have had redefined the #6 as well.

Citizens that cannot sign are provided access to the free sign language classes.

Accessibility is a right for everyone.

Audism has always been a thorny subject for a long time, it was defined in 1977 but buried so deep in the books.

It was just too thorny; Deaf elitists would actually practise audism themselves without realising it. Systematic audism, the Deaf elitists actually suffered from systematic audism when they in turn practised audism on others.

Some Deaf elitists would assume other Deaf people with a lower "d" didn't understand Deaf culture because they weren't educated about the Deaf-World, they didn't go to the Deaf institution, they weren't from a Deaf family and they didn't have a Deaf identity.

Systematic audism had to be broken free in order to analyse ourselves to realise that we actually did this to others because hearing people did this to us. We needed to self-project the audism towards the weaker kind. We were viewed as the weaker kind by the hearing people therefore we had to find the weaker kind; DeafBlind, Deaf with physical handicaps.

Yes, audism is thorny and still is. It is hard to accept and discuss audism because it means we have to seek within ourselves our wrongdoings towards our own community.

It starts with ourselves and it starts with our community; AD.

Even though that was nicely said, Patty, I have to think the larger, more difficult task facing the deaf world is outside ourselves. And I think we waste time, spin our wheels flashing the audism card when oppression and other words will do as a lot of issues will need to be taken up with various governments, courts, etc where the word audism will not see the light of day since it hasn't been an officially recognized word these past 30 yrs or more. There are plenty of similar words to use in our battles.

Even though that was nicely said, Patty, I have to think the larger, more difficult task facing the deaf world is outside ourselves. And I think we waste time, spin our wheels flashing the audism card when oppression and other words will do as a lot of issues will need to be taken up with various governments, courts, etc where the word audism will not see the light of day since it hasn't been an officially recognized word these past 30 yrs or more. There are plenty of similar words to use in our battles.

You will not see me shriek "Audism, audism" because I still struggle with accepting this terminology as much as you do.

I encourage health discussion about this word. It is still too new, I agree.

I firmly believe that both the Deaf and hearing should be given equal rights to accessibility.

I practise what I preach by encouraging the ADers to meet on a weekly basis, I hope there is a good amount of people showing up on Sunday at 1 pm at our channel - ASL Advocate Ally I believe in order for both Deaf and hearing to communicate quite efficiently, ASL needs to be the medium. It also needs to be offered free.

vote for yes, agree on policy :wave:

it is good for me to know about the 7 Principles.

I'm going to look thru the vids and then comment on this thread when I'm done.

I'm going to look thru the vids and then comment on this thread when I'm done.

I couldn't watch the vids since I don't know enough ASL and can't get what was said. I tried, but I'm not quite that fluent yet.

I would like to bump this thread and hopefully to see more youtube to post it here. :)

Back