Prohibition Of Asl In House

I'd be aghast :ugh: if sign language's been probhibited in my home.
Luckily, that is not the case. I'm blessed with a great mom who signs, tho I use Total Communication in home.
But if it does happen, I'd go on a silent strike and try my darn best to remain silent for as long as it take. :aw:

If I wasn't allowed to sign, I'd start to use huge amounts of paper to write to them and tell them that many trees are dying because of their prohibition and that it'd cause a fire hazard. My parents won't prohibit it because both know some sign and my mom is an interpreter so she learned about what happened when they prohibited signing at oral schools before.

RedFox

Must be the "can't see it, it's not there" thing.
Well I've noticed that almost all the parents who don't accept Sign for their dhh kid(s) are the type who want their kids to be "healthy and normal"
and who really buy into superfical middle class suburban values.
They don't look at ASL and Deaf culture as a way to expand their world but as something that is "OH HORRORS!" SPECIAL NEEDS!

RedFox said:
If I wasn't allowed to sign, I'd start to use huge amounts of paper to write to them

Why not on the walls. That'd deliver a bolder message to the folks prohibiting the use of sign language. Bwahahahahah!

Richard

Well, I have a different view. My mother wanted to raise me oral, so I was never taught sign language. She didn't want me to learn because she wanted me to speak. There was nothing wrong with that. I was fine with it as I was never mad about her choice. My mother doesn't care if I use it now that I know how to speak. Fact is, I never really saw sign language until I was much, much older. It doesn't matter anyway for me.

It varies if parents want to choose oralism. However, if it's hard for you and your parents gave you a hard time because you are struggling, then that would be selfish and mean. Some parents would rather have kids use SEE or Cued Speech for oralism and English literacy purposes. There's always a reason behind methods to communicate. Nothing wrong with them.

In a way, I think the parents should do whatever makes their kids comfortable. If the kid wants to sign, then the parents should make an effort to learn some, but they should not prohibit it from being used.

VamPyrox. For me, I did not know sign language growing up, so it did not matter if I "wanted" to use it as I had to clue of it anyway, if you know what I mean.

I think once you introduce sign language, then the child will then know of other options available to use. In my own perspective, sometimes having certain situations to use it is understandable. Example: school use oralism, but home use signs or only during off-therapy sessions, then I understand limiting the use. It's like learning another language, the more you use another language, the more the skills they'll develop.

Interesting.
I just dont talk to my parents much then.. cos its their rule and all. As a kid you dont have much power. Just wait til you go outside. :)

However, as a teenager or adult-- having acquired ASL fluently, there's no point in putting this rule on me. I would break it as I will, and eventually move out.

I haven't lived my parents since I were 18, though. :) Never had problem.. we didnt talk at all at home, even, when I was a kid. LOL but we talk more now.

If my parent prohibited sign language, hmm well in some way i dont care really, cuz they dont sign much anyway, other way i would be pissed. My mom signs a little but homemade signs. My dad can sign more than my mom but it hurts my dad's wrist. So mostly depend on lipreading, and if i still cant understand they will try to sign to make me understand. so i guess i am grateful for that.

My mother wanted to raise me oral, so I was never taught sign language. She didn't want me to learn because she wanted me to speak. There was nothing wrong with that. I was fine with it as I was never mad about her choice. My mother doesn't care if I use it now that I know how to speak. Fact is, I never really saw sign language until I was much, much older. It doesn't matter anyway for me.

It varies if parents want to choose oralism. However, if it's hard for you and your parents gave you a hard time because you are struggling, then that would be selfish and mean. Some parents would rather have kids use SEE or Cued Speech for oralism and English literacy purposes. There's always a reason behind methods to communicate. Nothing wrong with them
HKG, Oral first is based on the mentality that Sign is a "crutch" I am NOT against oral training or development of oral skills....I am extremely glad that I have the gift of oral skills. Matter of fact, I always encourage parents of newly dx dhh kids to pursue ALL avenues available. Many people who identify as Deaf weren't exposed early on to Sign. HELLO....we still have a VERY strong "oral first" influence here in the States. I do know that the research indicates most raised oral kids do eventually learn Sign. Many of us here grew up oral. Thing is...AG Bell and oralists push the myth that it's an either or sitution when it comes to language. However if a child can grow up speaking two spoken languages, then why can't they grow up bilingal in spoken English and ASL? There are some oralists who are OK with Sign, but so many of them still have this "healthy normal" mentality towards Sign or other alternative commuicative options. Many oralists have a VERY ablelist mentality towards Sign. Go and check out some of the ads in Volta Voices.
Again, we Deafies aren't against oralism....we're just against the "healthy normal" mentality. We want to give the choice of how to commuicate to the child. We never want a child to have to ask their parents " Why didn't you ever learn Sign?" Yes, there are some people out there who didn't mind that they weren't raised with both speech and Sign, but quite a few of those folks are hardcore oralists. Some of them were exposed to......BOTH early on and CHOOSE speech!!!! Now that has to REALLY mess up oral theory! :)

I believe that not all Deaf agree to oralism. I do believe that sign language can be a "crutch" to oralism in some children. I did not learn sign language, but I was put in a deaf school where the kids were not ahead that much in oralism. I began to mimick their 'noises.' That said, I am sure I would have stopped talking and choose sign language if it were presented to me. It's a hard decision, but I believe in choose one or two paths. I don't think that teaching all avenues is going to help children. It is going to confuse them. I believe that there is nothing wrong with trying oralism at first, then moving up to Cued Speech, then SEE, then so on. It's true that deaf children learn sign language later on because they eventually meet people that are not truly oral.

I am not involved with AG Bell, but I am not against the organization. I have not seen that they "push" oralism. I do know that AG Bell principle is to teach deaf children oralism. In fact, Russian's main focus is oralism in deaf children. Or at least it was in the past.

There is an interpreter in another forum who believes children should be taught ASL to teach English later on. That's bullshit in my opinion. There's nothing that proves it can be done. I think it confuses deaf children more.

I believe in oralism, but I don't go around pushing it on anyone. I have to admit that I have never met any parent pushing oralism in a bad way to their deaf child, yet. Point me to that direction if you can because I have never met one. It sort of seems that maybe you perceive it to be that way. deafdyke, I don't think that the other thing regarding SAT, prestigious school counts toward this debate. It just doesn't match up, sorry.

HKG, Deaf people have all sorts of opinons on how a dhh child should be raised. Not all of us are pro-ASL first with English later and no speech therapy. Hey....even TLC(very hard core bi-bi school) offers speech and language therapy for those who want it! In fact, I am not even sure I agree with bi-bi. What I am saying is that 1) there is STILL a VERY high rate of oral failures. Yes, complete failure to learn to speak is pretty rare. Even the majority of children who don't master the English language can at least pick up some useful words. However, even most oral superstars still don't have the meat and potatos of language. They still have trouble with idoims and pragmatic language(social) skills. Actually, most oral superstars still require intensive support in the mainstream. Most of them are served under IEPs instead of 504 Plans and 2) technology is imperfect. NOBODY can hear 100% with CI or hearing aids. Even those with mild losses still have significent speech and language issues. Hey....even those with one "good" ear and one "deaf" ear may have speech and language issues, and research has indicated that 30% of those kids flunk a grade level! I hear pretty well with my aids...matter of fact I am "almost hearing" with my aids....Yet I still miss stuff...and it was extremely difficult growing up without the tool of Sign.
I doubt that kids would be "confused" in being taught different ways. There's no research that says that kids would be confused that way!
Besides if you do it your way....which has been happening for years and years and years....the kids who REALLY need Sign and aren't great at speech are going to be VERY behind by the time they get to learning Sign.
Unfortunatly, there's still the plain fact of oral failures....most kids who Sign are oral failures. That should give you an idea of the flaws of oral first.
I don't think it's silly that English can be learned by mastering ASL. I don't agree with that school of thought. I think it's best if Sign and English go together hand in hand! I have a TON more to say on this topic...but I'm falling asleep here.

HKG, Deaf people have all sorts of opinons on how a dhh child should be raised.

I know, but 90 percent of the parents are the ones who raise deaf children. I wouldn't listen to Deaf Militants. I don't find them right in their mind.

Not all of us are pro-ASL first with English later and no speech therapy. Hey....even TLC(very hard core bi-bi school) offers speech and language therapy for those who want it! In fact, I am not even sure I agree with bi-bi. What I am saying is that 1) there is STILL a VERY high rate of oral failures.

I have no doubt that many oral considered failures did not receive enough therapies. I don't think that oralism is flawed at all. It's what you do with it that's flawed. I have talked to teenagers, read stories talked to CI teenagers, and I know the amount they received are not enough.

Yes, complete failure to learn to speak is pretty rare. Even the majority of children who don't master the English language can at least pick up some useful words. However, even most oral superstars still don't have the meat and potatos of language. They still have trouble with idoims and pragmatic language(social) skills. Actually, most oral superstars still require intensive support in the mainstream. Most of them are served under IEPs instead of 504 Plans and 2) technology is imperfect.

I think that the best thing to do is to focus on the most that they can reach with language. I dont' think it's good to focus on the little things they don't master to pick up because even with sign language it is not going to cut it. I have trouble with idioms, but they are not very useful in my life. They don't affect my everyday living. I have to admit that when I know the meaning of idioms, they are pretty stupid and worthless to even know it. I am not sure what's a 504 plan, but IEP is crap in my experience. They are only a contract to allow these and these people to be in the schools to avoid problems and being sued. That has got to change.

NOBODY can hear 100% with CI or hearing aids. Even those with mild losses still have significent speech and language issues. Hey....even those with one "good" ear and one "deaf" ear may have speech and language issues, and research has indicated that 30% of those kids flunk a grade level! I hear pretty well with my aids...matter of fact I am "almost hearing" with my aids....Yet I still miss stuff...and it was extremely difficult growing up without the tool of Sign.

I think it's best to hear mild than a severe to profound hearing loss. It allows children to develop better speech and hear more things that are meaningful in enriching their lives through hearing themselves and others. You know, I repeated one grade. It wasn't because I flunked. It's another reason, but I won't get into it because it's long. I have missed things growing up in conversations, PA system, words, etc., but sign language was never going to replace any of that. The only people that know sign language is their friends, family and school classmates. As you can see, sign language is not known in the rest of the world. A few people I have come across started to sign to me, but they don't get that they need to repeat what they say not sign to me because that's all I need them to do. Sign language would not make it better for me.

I doubt that kids would be "confused" in being taught different ways. There's no research that says that kids would be confused that way!
Besides if you do it your way....which has been happening for years and years and years....the kids who REALLY need Sign and aren't great at speech are going to be VERY behind by the time they get to learning Sign.

Behind in what? Many of the oralist learn signs later in life because they meet other people that use sign language, so in order for them to communicate with them, they'll need to use signs, but once they are out there with none of their signing friends, then it's not useful anymore.

Unfortunatly, there's still the plain fact of oral failures....most kids who Sign are oral failures. That should give you an idea of the flaws of oral first.
I don't think it's silly that English can be learned by mastering ASL. I don't agree with that school of thought. I think it's best if Sign and English go together hand in hand! I have a TON more to say on this topic...but I'm falling asleep here.

I think the main failure is providing enough speech therapy or adding cued speech or SEE at the right time to supplement what they cannot hear or grasp. It doesn't necessarily mean to abandon oralism because they will still get better with time if you pay attention to oralism continuously.

I know you have your opinions, but I have my own. I have researched to what seems like the entire websites, talked to deaf teenagers, deaf adults, even CI teenagers. I see a lot of them lacking in support and therapies. They were not consistent with it. Therapies does not have to take over your life not to enjoy activities because I had both, and I never felt deprived. I think some parents give up when teenagers or children begin to complain that they don't want to go, but you can't give in to children because children do not know yet the importance of having therapies and how it will affect their lives later on. I know you have a lot to say, but I think it's all in how we all perceive things because I haven't seen any oralist parent be "mean" to their deaf child because they wanted to having oral classes 24/7. Many of the statistics I hear of "failures" usually are very small percentages, so I don't really find any flaws in the communications used. I find flaws in how often parents are involved to help deaf children advance.

I would rebel, and swear, being badass.... Being smart ass.... would not listen to whoever hates ASL...

Then make your parent go to Woodbury, Minnesota and bury paper with woods somewhere in that town... Wood bury got it???

RedFox said:
If I wasn't allowed to sign, I'd start to use huge amounts of paper to write to them and tell them that many trees are dying because of their prohibition and that it'd cause a fire hazard. My parents won't prohibit it because both know some sign and my mom is an interpreter so she learned about what happened when they prohibited signing at oral schools before.

RedFox

racheleggert said:
I would rebel, and swear, being badass.... Being smart ass.... would not listen to whoever hates ASL...
Would you do this if you are elected on the City Council?

Brian said:
Would you do this if you are elected on the City Council?

I meant if my family doesn't let me sign ASL in house but outside I Will act differently, like stage an prosest

i think that any parent who bans asl in their home is either really selfish or really misguided. also, many (if not most) hearing people don't understand that deaf people can have lives just as good as a hearing person. they sometimes think that their way is the only effective way, which just simply isn't true, but that is what their culture teaches them, and it takes some time for them to "un-learn" it. i think that some parents who ban sign are just in denial, and think that they're doing the right thing for their child.

that said, my parents don't really allow asl. (i don't need it because i can understand most speech if i listen carefully and lipread, and i didn't start to learn any sign until middle school. however, they don't let me sign with my deaf friends without voicing both their signing and mine.... probably they think we're talking about them, or they like to evesdrop.) still, it's rather annoying. we once protested by using up all the paper in the house writing notes to eachother in large letters just to annoy my parents. now we're allowed to not voice all of it, just a few words every minuite.

Example: school use oralism, but home use signs or only during off-therapy sessions, then I understand limiting the use. It's like learning another language, the more you use another language, the more the skills they'll develop.
I know of people who go this route in raising their kids. Some parents are OK with TC but enroll their kids in oral programs since a lot of the Sign programs may not have good speech therapists or may not concentrate enough on speech....and I understand that! I APPROVE of that! I just really dislike the mentality of some deaf ed experts who think that if a kid doesn't respond to an hour of therapy every day, the way to sucess is making the purpose of his life 24/7 eternal therapy.

Back