Prohibition Of Asl In House

H

HyperFlirter

What you will do if your parents prohibit ASL in house?

If they prohibit it, I'd still use it. It's my right. If they want to kick me out, fine... I'll find some place else to live!

There's definately no loving...and it's a sign of selfish...

If that happened to me....when they visit me...I'll set all the noises and TV on HIGH volumes and make it a rule to sign. :p

If they prohibit my ASL then I will prohibit speaking and lipreading to them.

Prohibit ASL is huge insulting to my WORLD (Deaf Community).

if parents forbid me using ASL. Consider them as " Failed parents " for not able to allow me to having communication with them.

:jaw: For sure! I would be so pissed off and disown my parents. I am very lucky to have parents who actually worked their asses off to learn ASL for me.

If my parents forbid me using ASL, then I will not speak to them, period. Join in Deaf family!! :laugh2:

(really, they don't mind me using ASL, BUT want me to blah blah blah at them....) :roll:

if my parents forbid me using ASL i'll shoot them :-o

nah thats :crazy: i'll just sign till they gave up on me :)

thank god they let me use ASL :)

My parents allowed it now, AFTER I was blunt with them saying, "If you don't like me using ASL in the house, then it is okay for me to say that I don't like your speaking in the house!"

Well, it would be a sign that the parents gave up on their deaf child and let the school do their work of teaching them sign language...which they forbid at home, That's some f***ed up idea. :| ?

:nono: to ASL prohibition!! We have a right to our language and if I was ordered me to speak and not sign.. I'd say sorry but I'm :deaf:!!!

If I was in that kind of situation I will keep signing anyway, to annoy them. Besides, if they actually did something like that, consider themselves disowned. Tsk!

My parents learnt to sign for me, and I'm happy they've never forbidden sign, even though I don't sign to them. We have an understanding, they make the effort to sign to ensure I understand them because communication is important to them. If they hadn't learnt sign, I'm sure I wouldn't be the person I am today :)

To prohibit ASL in house is to deny one's uniqueness and existence. It's like denying braille for the blind individual.

Yeah and prohibiting it probably would lead people to become interested in it and learn about it and end up signing anyway so I don't see what difference it would make. Must be the "can't see it, it's not there" thing.

If my parents had forbidden ASL or any types of sign language in the house -- I doubt sis and I would be there long!
But thankfully, Mum was motivated and determined enough to improve her signing skills and ensured that sis and I had the best sort of education possible and accommodating our needs.
Dad signed, yes, but not much...still it was adequate enough for us..didn't bother us because we used TC as well -- Total Communication: verbal and sign at the same time.

I would think its funny, cause then none of us can really communicate with each other, seeing that we're all deaf... muhahahaha :)

No, really, that would suck. If I lived with hearing people i'd say "well speaking is prohibited if ASL is too." :D

Back