Principal to parents: Take kids off Facebook

Frankly, I don't believe a law should be passed making it illegal for minors to go on Facebook. There's too many laws as it is. Facebook need to change their policy. Right now, I believe it is set at 13 and above with parental consent (a questionable method).

The best thing for a parent to do is to not put a computer in a child's bedroom where it cannot be supervised 24/7. Not even these softwares where parents can set up limited internet access because they aren't foolproof.

Also, the parents should always look at their child's profile on a daily basis and ensure that they are not given limited profiles.

:gpost: I agree with you.

What if a parent allows their kid on there supervised? I'm not keen on the idea of superceding parent authority; especially on something like this.

Some of my friends supervise their children, I'm not sure it's something I'd do though. Kevin.

What if a parent allows their kid on there supervised? I'm not keen on the idea of superceding parent authority; especially on something like this.

Then that's their own decision and it is their own responsibility for whatever happens.

When I was teenager in last 10 years ago, I joined some messaging board and instant messaging without parental supervision and my parent wasn't aware of social networking until around 5 years ago, just right after I became adult.

I believe that should up to parent's decision to allows their child to use FB or social networking and for safety reason, children shouldn't join if their parent is unable or not know how to supervise them.

My son and daughter both have American and French penpals on their school websites, even then I like to supervise them. Kevin.

I agree with you there oceanbreeze. The problem with facebook is that kids who aren't on it, feel left out by the kids who are on it. Kevin.

Life isn't fair. But, I still think it's up to a parent to decide what is best for their child. Some parents will allow their kid to be on facebook. It's just how it is.

i would agreed with kevin

when i was teenager i got join AIM and Yahoo IM without adult supervisor i know its wrong till im now adult i dont need my mom!!

mostly parents must watch kids on FB,Aim,Yahoo IM or whatever types online talk with adult supervisor underages between 12-18 if your kids are over 18 that OK!!

at school not allowed dues policy!!

Saddly most parents don't monitor their children as much as they should if at all. I also think the computer should be where it's in clear reading view of the parent. It's a breeding ground for bullies that not only starts on FB but also at the Schools. So the bullied victim not only get verbally abused on FB but also at School too since once started and gone too far on FB it leads to physical violence when they face each other in person or as a group. It won't be long until we hear on the news about yet another student killing other students due to bullying on FB.

What scares me and I mean really the thought of it is how adults put pictures of their young children on fB and Myspace. Anything can be hacked into and anyone can post too much personal information without even realizing that's what they are doing. There are young teenage girls who have been tortured and murdered by psycho's and chosen simply because the psycho happened to see their picture when engaging in a simple conversation with the parent. You would be surprised how easily parents reveal information about themselves and never consider the danger in person let alone how much easier it is online. It's too impersonal for most people to make that connection...especially teenagers.

Saddly most parents don't monitor their children as much as they should if at all. I also think the computer should be where it's in clear reading view of the parent. It's a breeding ground for bullies that not only starts on FB but also at the Schools. So the bullied victim not only get verbally abused on FB but also at School too since once started and gone too far on FB it leads to physical violence when they face each other in person or as a group. It won't be long until we hear on the news about yet another student killing other students due to bullying on FB.

What scares me and I mean really the thought of it is how adults put pictures of their young children on fB and Myspace. Anything can be hacked into and anyone can post too much personal information without even realizing that's what they are doing. There are young teenage girls who have been tortured and murdered by psycho's and chosen simply because the psycho happened to see their picture when engaging in a simple conversation with the parent. You would be surprised how easily parents reveal information about themselves and never consider the danger in person let alone how much easier it is online. It's too impersonal for most people to make that connection...especially teenagers.

I couldn't have said it much better. Cyber-bullying and Predators have been around for a long while now. The thing is - We have to educate our children the importance of privacy and teach them how to relay the information in a proper way without revealing too much of themselves. However, no matter how much we educate them, they will fall to the "bait". The same concept applies in real life.

You know, As a kid, I was often told not to talk to a stranger even if that stranger says they are a friend of my parent. That same concept should be taught to apply on the cyberspace for children (especially for those social networking sites).

Sure, FB is an awesome way to connect to family and friends or people in walk of your life. It shouldn't mean that it gets the bad rap of it just because some parents lacks to educate their children the use of cyberspace. It can seem so inviting and attractive at first, but so much to the latter, it's all down behind the smokescreen. You just have to be cautious, and I mean, to be very apprehensive as well.

My ex hubby is obviously not monitoring my daughter's activities on FB. I had to report one of her comments to FB because she wished something awful on one of her old friends here in MD even though I contacted them with my concerns and told them to have that comment removed. After 2 weeks, the comment was still there so I reported it. I told her that she cant say things like that on FB because it was cruel.

Back