Priest interrupts wedding ceremony

I could maybe see if they were in a church. I know some church wedding ceremonies flash photography is not allowed. They were outside!!!! I would have been upset if I was the bride. The priest stopping the ceremony was a huge distraction versus click, click click. He sure looked rather grumpy.

The wedding sanctuary where the Priest is standing is the church .. it is the temple

It is holy ground.

Exactly. It's not like this his church sermon in his church, he was performing a service for someone else. He may be performing the wedding, but it's not his wedding, it's the couple wedding, they're the boss, not him.

Exactly the opposite .. he is the boss. An ordained minister, priest, or member of the clergy have very specific rights when conducting a ceremony. Those rights supersedes that of anyone thinking this is a "performance'.

I could maybe see if they were in a church. I know some church wedding ceremonies flash photography is not allowed. They were outside!!!! I would have been upset if I was the bride. The priest stopping the ceremony was a huge distraction versus click, click click. He sure looked rather grumpy.

I'd be sorely tempted to sue. That's a moment with no do overs, and weddings are freaking expensive!!! To have it ruined like that?? Over something like that? Yep I'd sue.

Exactly the opposite .. he is the boss. An ordained minister, priest, or member of the clergy have very specific rights when conducting a ceremony. Those rights supersedes that of anyone thinking this is a "performance'.

It shows very little tact or consideration for the couple that he is performing the service for. An awful man he is, a collar does make him god or excuse his actions.

It was rude if the priest to disrupt the ceremony in the first place. A collar doesn't give him carte Blanche to do whatever he wants, and no it wasn't his right. It wasn't his ceremony to disrupt, it was the bride and grooms. No he doesn't have the right to rudely ruin someone's wedding ceremony just because someone was annoying him.

Wondering how many people will use him for their wedding in the future. I sure as hell wouldn't.
If it was me, he wouldn't get paid as he caused a disruption to another service Im paying for (photos) That aren't getting taken.

It shows very little tact or consideration for the couple that he is performing the service for. An awful man he is, a collar does make him god or excuse his actions.

Talking about 'tact'. The Priest has every right to stop a ceremony. Would you feel it would be appropriate for a photographer to step up behind a Priest while he is speaking during a funeral and non-stop snap pictures?

because, essentially, that is what this photographer did. Funeral and weddings have similar rules and the photographer was imposing.

Talking about 'tact'. The Priest has every right to stop a ceremony. Would you feel it would be appropriate for a photographer to step up behind a Priest while he is speaking during a funeral and non-stop snap pictures?

because, essentially, that is what this photographer did. Funeral and weddings have similar rules and the photographer was imposing.

Yes, if the couple wanted shots of their faces bit the backs of their heads yes, totally appropriate. It was being unreasonable they weren't breathing down his neck they were feet behind him. They weren't talking, they were taking pictures and video for the couple, doing their jobs, can't say that much fir the priest though.

Yes, if the couple wanted shots of their faces bit the backs of their heads yes, totally appropriate. It was being unreasonable they weren't breathing down his neck they were feet behind him. They weren't talking, they were taking pictures and video for the couple, doing their jobs, can't say that much fir the priest though.

Reasonable to everyone except the person performing the ceremony.

And it is not only "tacky' but awfully rude to non-stop snap pictures behind a priest as he is conducting a ceremony at the altar.

The photographer was not a professional - a professional would have discussed this with the priest before the ceremony. I have professional photographers in my family (my niece owns her own studio and she is 19 years old) and they would have discussed everything with the priest beforehand. every detail would be stamped out ... i.e. when the ceremony is over, will the family linger back for family pictures before the reception and etc.

And no one would stand up behind a superior court judge to snap pictures during a "divorce ceremony" ..... (and it does not matter how much money was forked over)

And no one would stand up behind a superior court judge to snap pictures during a "divorce ceremony" ..... (and it does not matter how much money was forked over)

Yeah......thank you captain obvious I'm pretty sure that's not an issue. There's probably plenty of people overjoyed to get divorced, but I don't think anyone ever hires a photographer to capture their rapturous moments, no. :roll:

The photographer was not a professional - a professional would have discussed this with the priest before the ceremony. I have professional photographers in my family (my niece owns her own studio and she is 19 years old).

And neither was the priest. Just because he's a priest dies not automatically make him right. And yeah yeah you always know somebody who dies this that and the other thing which obviously make you an expert by association. :roll:

Dude, I don't care. He was rude. He ruined that couple wedding, nothing you say is going to make it okay, not to me anyway.

And neither was the priest. Just because he's a priest dies not automatically make him right. And yeah yeah you always know somebody who dies this that and the other thing which obviously make you an expert by association. :roll:

Dude, I don't care. He was rude. He ruined that couple wedding, nothing you say is going to make it okay, not to me anyway.

Seems you think you are always right. It really doesn't matter to me. I know the Priest had a right to stop the ceremony and it does not matter if you think he doesn't.

(and the disrespectful and unprofessional photographer ruined the wedding). Your perception is helplessly flawed.

Yeah......thank you captain obvious I'm pretty sure that's not an issue. There's probably plenty of people overjoyed to get divorced, but I don't think anyone ever hires a photographer to capture their rapturous moments, no. :roll:

Of course it isn't an issue - you wouldn't question a Judge getting bent out of shape over a photographer doing that. The Judge's authority is not questioned in a situation like that. So why question a Priest's authority during a wedding? oh, that's right - he is just the hired goon. The "bench" to you is probably far more "holy" than an altar.

And methinks if more people had respect at the altar, they wouldn't need to stand before a bench.

Seems you think you are always right. It really doesn't matter to me. I know the Priest had a right to stop the ceremony and it does not matter if you think he doesn't.

(and the disrespectful and unprofessional photographer ruined the wedding). Your perception is helplessly flawed.

No, he could have ignored them.

Of course it isn't an issue - you wouldn't question a Judge getting bent out of shape over a photographer doing that. The Judge's authority is not questioned in a situation like that. So why question a Priest's authority during a wedding? oh, that's right - he is just the hired goon. The "bench" to you is probably far more "holy" than an altar.

And methinks if more people had respect at the altar, they wouldn't need to stand before a bench.
Oh good lord it's not an issue because it wouldn't happen. Nobody gets photos if their divorce proceedings. Your point is useless and stupid.

The video and photos in the article doesn't appear to look like a church in place. I may be wrong... but in my opinion, the minister has no say to control the wedding ceremony. If a minister is not comfortable, he should request a replacement.

The video and photos in the article doesn't appear to look like a church in place. I may be wrong... but in my opinion, the minister has no say to control the wedding ceremony. If a minister is not comfortable, he should request a replacement.

I had my wedding outside and someone was standing behind the guy performing the ceremony videotaping, and one of my relatives was snapping pictures from all angles. :dunno:

The guy was my step father in law, a pastor of some sort. Not professional photographers either, relatives.

He was an Episcopalian Priest. The altar is considered the "church" and to articulate this more clearly .. the priest and the couple were standing before God when they were at the altar. The only people who are to be at the altar when the ceremony begins, are the bride, groom and the Priest. The maid of honor, bridesmaids, best man and groomsmen are to stand to the side of the altar, facing the congregation when the ceremony begins. The bride and groom are to face away from the congregation, and to face the priest - the priest faces the congregation. Approaching the altar is not the same thing as standing at the altar. the father of the bride, approaches the altar, gives his daughter's hand to the groom, they then stand at the altar when the Priest instructs them to. This is a very, very sacred tradition .. one that is centuries old. the photographer was at the altar, behind the priest .. a very BIG no! no!

The Priest was well within his rights to suspend this ceremony. Those calling him an ass simply do not understand the tradition, or the symbolism of what the altar represents. They do not respect the authority of the Priest either.

I married in an Episcopalian church, however, I had a Baptist wedding ceremony. I am friends with Father Paul, the Episcopalian minister at the church I got married in, and my father is an ordained Baptist minister. Father Paul is also a Georgia State Trooper. My father conducted the ceremony .. and during rehearsal, very clear instructions and ground rules were discussed.

Having a father who is an ordained minister, I am thoroughly familiar with how weddings, funerals, baptisms, dedications and other religious ceremonies are officiated. Each denominational sect is different - Episcopalins have what they call "participatory" or "non-participatory" congregations. That is, in some churches, they allow the congregation to respond to the sermon, in others, they do not.

This Priest made the right call. You DO NOT EVER approach the altar when the ceremony begins ... not ever. And you definitely DO NOT STAND at the altar, like the photographer did. That is not only "rude' it is highly disrespectful.

I had my wedding outside and someone was standing behind the guy performing the ceremony videotaping, and one of my relatives was snapping pictures from all angles. :dunno:

The guy was my step father in law, a pastor of some sort. Not professional photographers either, relatives.

Behind "the guy" - "pastor of some sort"

wow .. you sure had a lot of respect :roll:

I understand that, to each it's own. Couples choose the wedding... where it takes place, who the minister and the photographer. All weddings have different traditions. One may not agree to the traditions, but respecting the couple as they choose the wedding they planned. It takes a lot of planning and work to prepare that.

The minister should be polite to ask photographer to move back or change position to take snapshot. Threatening to stop the ceremony is over the top, I'm sure all couples do not want a ruined wedding day.

He was an Episcopalian Priest. The altar is considered the "church" and to articulate this more clearly .. the priest and the couple were standing before God when they were at the altar. The only people who are to be at the altar when the ceremony begins, are the bride, groom and the Priest. The maid of honor, bridesmaids, best man and groomsmen are to stand to the side of the altar, facing the congregation when the ceremony begins. The bride and groom are to face away from the congregation, and to face the priest - the priest faces the congregation. Approaching the altar is not the same thing as standing at the altar. the father of the bride, approaches the altar, gives his daughter's hand to the groom, they then stand at the altar when the Priest instructs them to. This is a very, very sacred tradition .. one that is centuries old. the photographer was at the altar, behind the priest .. a very BIG no! no!

The Priest was well within his rights to suspend this ceremony. Those calling him an ass simply do not understand the tradition, or the symbolism of what the altar represents. They do not respect the authority of the Priest either.

I married in an Episcopalian church, however, I had a Baptist wedding ceremony. I am friends with Father Paul, the Episcopalian minister at the church I got married in, and my father is an ordained Baptist minister. Father Paul is also a Georgia State Trooper. My father conducted the ceremony .. and during rehearsal, very clear instructions and ground rules were discussed.

Having a father who is an ordained minister, I am thoroughly familiar with how weddings, funerals, baptisms, dedications and other religious ceremonies are officiated. Each denominational sect is different - Episcopalins have what they call "participatory" or "non-participatory" congregations. That is, in some churches, they allow the congregation to respond to the sermon, in others, they do not.

This Priest made the right call. You DO NOT EVER approach the altar when the ceremony begins ... not ever. And you definitely DO NOT STAND at the altar, like the photographer did. That is not only "rude' it is highly disrespectful.

Back