Preserve resiudral hearing with Freedom Implant

Do you know if this was a physiological change in the cochlea or nerve due to the implant, or a change in the way your brain processes sound due to having a new source of stimulus?

It would be a physiological change. As you may be aware, most CI patents lose all residual hearing just getting the CI (of which I'm one).

It would be a physiological change. As you may be aware, most CI patents lose all residual hearing just getting the CI (of which I'm one).

I'm aware of that, but netrox described losing hearing gradually. My understanding was that when the implantation causes loss of residual hearing (as in your case) it's immediate. Since netrox had some residual hearing post-implantation, that suggests that the usual mechanism (destruction of ... part of the cochlea?) wasn't the cause.

I'm aware of that, but netrox described losing hearing gradually. My understanding was that when the implantation causes loss of residual hearing (as in your case) it's immediate. Since netrox had some residual hearing post-implantation, that suggests that the usual mechanism (destruction of ... part of the cochlea?) wasn't the cause.

Not necessarily, think of a slow leak of fluid in the cochlea. Without the fluid, the cochlear hairs can't function anymore. Probably what happened to netrox was that during the insertion of the electrode that enought cochlear fluid was retained to provide residual hearing at first.

I have a friend who just got a CI and stated that he too could still hear something via residual hearing. It will be interesting to see what he says in a year or two.

Not necessarily, think of a slow leak of fluid in the cochlea. Without the fluid, the cochlear hairs can't function anymore. Probably what happened to netrox was that during the insertion of the electrode that enought cochlear fluid was retained to provide residual hearing at first.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

I have a friend who just got a CI and stated that he too could still hear something via residual hearing. It will be interesting to see what he says in a year or two.

It will be interesting then to see the long term results of the partially inserted CI's. Since if your theory is true for the majority then partially inserting a CI to take care of the high (or is it low?) frequency loss would result in a gradual decline in hearing.

I had lifting restrictions following the surgery for 2 weeks. I understood the surgeon to say that not lifting was to reduce fluid loss. From that I assumed (so sue me, lol) that the cholea heals around the electode and closes the hole. I suppose it could depend on how big the hole is?

It will be interesting then to see the long term results of the partially inserted CI's. Since if your theory is true for the majority then partially inserting a CI to take care of the high (or is it low?) frequency loss would result in a gradual decline in hearing.

I had lifting restrictions following the surgery for 2 weeks. I understood the surgeon to say that not lifting was to reduce fluid loss. From that I assumed (so sue me, lol) that the cholea heals around the electode and closes the hole. I suppose it could depend on how big the hole is?

A "hybrid" implant is simply a shorter implant to stimulate the higher frequencies (at the entry point of the cochlea - the wide end) and allow the normal hearing system continue to stimulate the lower frequencies (toward the end of the cochlea - the smaller end). The length of the electrode would be less than 6mm before the real curvature of the cochlea. In essence, there should be theoretically no damage whatsoever (from this kind of a CI).

What is interesting to me (after doing some heavy duty researching into the residual hearing loss issue after getting a CI), is that one of the main reasons for losing residual hearing is how the electrode damages or "scrapes" the "wall" (where the cochlear hairs are) of the cochlea generally past the 6 or 7mm mark. So, if one gets a long implant that doesn't bend too well, it tends to damage the nerve wall of the cochlea and reduces the chance of a successful outcome (and all but guaranteed no residual hearing). They have recently started to use the pre-curved electrode to reduce damage to the cochlea wall lining. All this makes a whole lot of sense to me. Actually, I do know that Cochlear Inc. has already noticed a definite increase in successful outcomes using that pre-curved electrode (of which I do have). My audi stated they were extremely excited about what they were seeing happening out there.

None of what I said doesn't mean there is not a "leakage" issue as a potential problem. I would agree with you (Jag) that the "hole" made by the electrode is gradually closed with healing in the majority of the cases.

I guess the coin landed on the right side when I flipped between two brands.

J/K :) Everything just felt right with Cochlear when I researched for my son's CI. I think ismi is right, no strenous activity the following weeks after surgery must be to allow the cochlea to heal & seal around on the electrode wire.

This must be also why the electrode wire is so long (8 inches, give or take 1 inch) to allow play anywhere from the implant device itself and cochela just in case?

I've been following this thread, and all I can think is, "Darn! I don't have Freedom!"

I've been following this thread, and all I can think is, "Darn! I don't have Freedom!"

Ah, think of it this way... The non-freedom electrode can be inserted further in the cochlea.... they might cover a wider spectrum. Plus, I believe AB is ahead with the technology regarding virtual electrodes...

There's plus and minuses for all of them...

I found out that both types (We could choose between MedEl and Freedom) are just as good. We chose Freedom because of mainly 22 vs 16 electrodes and better design (looks better)

Ah, think of it this way... The non-freedom electrode can be inserted further in the cochlea.... they might cover a wider spectrum. Plus, I believe AB is ahead with the technology regarding virtual electrodes...

There's plus and minuses for all of them...

I found out that both types (We could choose between MedEl and Freedom) are just as good. We chose Freedom because of mainly 22 vs 16 electrodes and better design (looks better)

True...but sometimes I feel obsolete because I "only" have Spectra. But I'm being silly. My CI works for me, and that's the only thing that counts.

True...but sometimes I feel obsolete because I "only" have Spectra. But I'm being silly. My CI works for me, and that's the only thing that counts.
How long have you had it now? (Yes, I'll add 7 years and I will know your age :)

I've never heard of the Spectra - who makes them? And yes I agree with your thoughts. Developing a keeping up with the Jone's mentality with CIs is self defeating - if it's working well for you now then that is what counts.

I've never heard of the Spectra - who makes them? And yes I agree with your thoughts. Developing a keeping up with the Jone's mentality with CIs is self defeating - if it's working well for you now then that is what counts.

Ah...Spectra was made by Cochlear, and thank you for saying so!

Ah...Spectra was made by Cochlear, and thank you for saying so!

:topic:
fyborg, I'm getting increasingly curious about your "red shirts" -- anything to do with the Cardinals? You don't have to answer...
(back to the topic)
Is Spectra still being sold?

:topic:
fyborg, I'm getting increasingly curious about your "red shirts" -- anything to do with the Cardinals? You don't have to answer...
(back to the topic)
Is Spectra still being sold?

Ah...red shirts...nothing to do with the Cards, and it would be highly disloyal of me as a STLian to mock them...

I think Cochlear stopped selling them two years ago since they were only 22 channels and were on the market, so to speak, for a long time, cochlear-implant wise.

Ah...red shirts...nothing to do with the Cards, and it would be highly disloyal of me as a STLian to mock them...

I think Cochlear stopped selling them two years ago since they were only 22 channels and were on the market, so to speak, for a long time, cochlear-implant wise.

Okay, I got you! And I can understand about being a Card fan -- they're supposed to play this afternoon but it's been raining and storming on for a while now. My husband is downstairs with his big TV and no doubt he's hoping the storms will pass so he can watch the Cardinals!

Thanks for explaining about the Spectra -- it's just I've not seen that name...

He could just watch the Rams play instead right?
So I guess you are back in town then?

I have the Freedom but no residual hearing was retained. It doesn't bother me though, as I have no use for the residual hearing anymore.

He could just watch the Rams play instead right?
So I guess you are back in town then?

Ha ha! He has that dern big TV on all kinds of ESPN channels and ANY other channels with sports! He knows the TV in the kitchen is OFF LIMITS!

Oh yes, I've been back for a week now and we've been keeping in touch with our daughter (VP mostly just so I can see her and especially her baby girl who's 6 months old now). Cannot wait for them to move home!

Back