Prelingually Deaf

The problem is that you are looking only on the face of it. Auditory memory is quite complicated and can be used to store and access morphemes and phonemes of visual language.

Is it still called auditory memory at that point?

You would not put the two concepts together since they really describe very different things.

Prelingually deaf = deaf before development of a language (ie: born deaf)
Auditory memory = remembering what sounds sound like

prelingually deaf does not mean that someone has no ability to hear sounds, just that the sounds would not be sufficient to develop a primary language on it's own.

And auditory memory can be used for recall of phonemes and morphemes of a visual language as well. It appears that drphil is simply seeing the word "auditory" and making a superficial judgement of the concept based on that.

Is it still called auditory memory at that point?

Yes, or to be more specific, the "auditory loop". I guess the name has never changed because it includes recall of more than just language. It includes peripheral and environmental sounds as well. Which would be recalled in the deaf as either auditory or kinesthetic stimuli depending on the degree of hearing loss.

It is really more about recall of meaning attributed to certain sounds and/or visual signs so that one does not have to figure out meaning each time it is repeated.

Yes, or to be more specific, the "auditory loop". I guess the name has never changed because it includes recall of more than just language. It includes peripheral and environmental sounds as well. Which would be recalled in the deaf as either auditory or kinesthetic stimuli depending on the degree of hearing loss.

I didn't know that . I thought that when converted to visual it wasn't part of the auditory memory anymore.

I probably need to get a new textbook.

Can you recommend a good one for me?

Expecting "miracles" re "feeble mind" to comprehend ?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I'm trying not to see this as an insult... please clarify? :shock:

He didn't insult anyone. DrPhil does seem to be a fair target for everyone else to insult.

Kristina posted that she would try to explain prelingual deafness to his "feeble mind."

So he really is just trying to clarify how she expects him to understand, if she thinks that of him.

There are rules against that kind of name calling, and it would be better just to not talk to him if he upsets with his posts.

I did say that and was not trying to put anyone down. I was not happy and trying hard to be both polite and get a point across.

I didn't know that . I thought that when converted to visual it wasn't part of the auditory memory anymore.

I probably need to get a new textbook.

Can you recommend a good one for me?

On cognitive psychology or biological psychology? Both would address this topic, but from slightly different perspectives.

That is a common misperception. Just like thinking that visual language cannot be processed in the auditory centers of the brain, when in fact, it is processed there. The auditory centers convert to accept and process the visual messages.

On cognitive psychology or biological psychology? Both would address this topic, but from slightly different perspectives.

That is a common misperception. Just like thinking that visual language cannot be processed in the auditory centers of the brain, when in fact, it is processed there. The auditory centers convert to accept and process the visual messages.

I think cognitive psychology.

The following is an excellent text. And it contains a coglab manual that allows you to do cognitive psych experiments on your computer to reinforce the concepts you learn.

Cogntive Psychology: Connecting Mind, Research, and Everyday Experience

Bruce Goldstein is the author. He has been part of several psychology texts. I think you can get it without the coglab manual, but I really think that is one of the features that make this text so useful.

The following is an excellent text. And it contains a coglab manual that allows you to do cognitive psych experiments on your computer to reinforce the concepts you learn.

Cogntive Psychology: Connecting Mind, Research, and Everyday Experience

Bruce Goldstein is the author. He has been part of several psychology texts. I think you can get it without the coglab manual, but I really think that is one of the features that make this text so useful.

Thanks. I am so clever, I already have a used copy on its way to me!I love the internet. I can get anything with the touch of a button!

Thanks. I am so clever, I already have a used copy on its way to me!I love the internet. I can get anything with the touch of a button!

Too cool! I know..I love the internet...especially for books!

Back