Prelingually Deaf

I did give the Canadian Hearing Society credit- line 2 post #31

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

You did not use quoation marks, nor did you properly cite.:roll:

Prelingual deaf: non hearing since womb departure. "tongue/ear in cheek"?

I

I have a serious question that I do not want any silly crap from drphil about.

My mother has been going through some memories and has thought more and more about when I was a baby. She says the pregnancy was totally normal, I was just a breech birth in a massively bad position. Mom says that as a baby, I never babbled. I never said my first word until I was 3 1/2. My hearing was never tested until I was 7. She's not sure why, but it was never done. At 7 it was learned that I had a hearing loss and that I most likely had it since birth. So, would that make me pre-lingually deaf?

I have a serious question that I do not want any silly crap from drphil about.

My mother has been going through some memories and has thought more and more about when I was a baby. She says the pregnancy was totally normal, I was just a breech birth in a massively bad position. Mom says that as a baby, I never babbled. I never said my first word until I was 3 1/2. My hearing was never tested until I was 7. She's not sure why, but it was never done. At 7 it was learned that I had a hearing loss and that I most likely had it since birth. So, would that make me pre-lingually deaf?

Yes. Since it is suspected that you had the loss since birth.

Does having "auditory memory" have some meaning re prelingual deaf?

Implanted A BHarmony activated Aug/07

Does having "auditory memory" have some meaning re prelingual deaf?

Implanted A BHarmony activated Aug/07

You would not put the two concepts together since they really describe very different things.

Prelingually deaf = deaf before development of a language (ie: born deaf)
Auditory memory = remembering what sounds sound like

prelingually deaf does not mean that someone has no ability to hear sounds, just that the sounds would not be sufficient to develop a primary language on it's own.

On the face of it-seems having "auditory memory" one is actually hearing something in order for one's brain to "store". The converse suggests if one doesn't hear what one can store?

On the face of it-seems having "auditory memory" one is actually hearing something in order for one's brain to "store". The converse suggests if one doesn't hear what one can store?

Okay - I will take a stab at using personal history to clear this up for you. Hopefully it will be in simple enough terms for your feeble mind to wrap around.

As I asked earlier and Jillio answered: I was born "prelingually deaf" meaning, I had hearing loss from birth, before I acquired any speech.

Since I am now "total deaf" meaning, I have absolutely no hearing, and no residual hearing, but was previously, hard of hearing, I have "auditory memory", meaning, I can remember sounds and speech and songs and all that jazz. I have posted often, that I "hear" music in my head. I will only "hear" the music that I had previously heard before I lost all my hearing. So, any songs that came out after 5/19/2006 will not mean anything to me at all. Also, the voices of my children that I "hear" when they speak, coming from auditory memory, is the way their voices were 5 years ago, or put it this way, before my son's voice deepened as a teenager. He was 11 and my daughter 12 when I lost all the hearing.

So, the way I see it, to have auditory memory, you need to have been able to hear something.

Expecting "miracles" re "feeble mind" to comprehend ?

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Don't waste firing neurons trying to figure out what that guy is saying. It's futile. LOL

I'm trying not to see this as an insult... please clarify? :shock:

He didn't insult anyone. DrPhil does seem to be a fair target for everyone else to insult.

Kristina posted that she would try to explain prelingual deafness to his "feeble mind."

So he really is just trying to clarify how she expects him to understand, if she thinks that of him.

There are rules against that kind of name calling, and it would be better just to not talk to him if he upsets with his posts.

He didn't insult anyone. DrPhil does seem to be a fair target for everyone else to insult.

Kristina posted that she would try to explain prelingual deafness to his "feeble mind."

So he really is just trying to clarify how she expects him to understand, if she thinks that of him.

There are rules against that kind of name calling, and it would be better just to not talk to him if he upsets with his posts.

You understand him?????? :shock:

The problem is that you are looking only on the face of it. Auditory memory is quite complicated and can be used to store and access morphemes and phonemes of visual language.

Back