Powerful Small hearing Aids?

Chuck

Reaction score
Everytime I go see my hearing doctor he tells me that the small hearing aids are still not strong enough for me. I think he's out of touch with the latest.

I basically want really small hearing aids, inner ear. Does anyone have any info?

I had a pair of CICs during the early 2000s. The audiologist told me CICs are designed for mild-moderate hearing loss. But, I don't know if technology has improved today though; I hope it has.

When my hearing deteriorated the audiologist maxed out the CICs settings, which worked ok, but it also generated a lot of feedback which caused my ears to ring. So, I ended up buying the "in ear" hearing aid, which I think is the next model after CIC.

The other thing you should note about CICs, is that they get clogged with wax easily if you wear your hearing aid all the time. So, they can be costly to maintain. And, the battery life is poor.

it depends on your hearing loss...
if you have severe to profound....usually btes have better power
so he or she is right...its hard to find small hearing aids these days for great hearing losses

Everytime I go see my hearing doctor he tells me that the small hearing aids are still not strong enough for me. I think he's out of touch with the latest.

I basically want really small hearing aids, inner ear. Does anyone have any info?

Your audiologist is not out of touch. He know what he's talking about. Behind-the-Ear hearing aids are the best and most powerful types for people with profound hearing loss.

I don't get why ppl must have dinky aids...i think the ite and itc's are ugly...and cic wouldn't do squat for me nor would I be able to cheer or do gymnastics with that for fear of it coming out and losing it etc...and if your worried about ppl seeing your ha's because of vanity then that's ridiculous..be proud of who you are and if ppl are ignorant they have the problem not u

I don't get why ppl must have dinky aids...i think the ite and itc's are ugly...and cic wouldn't do squat for me nor would I be able to cheer or do gymnastics with that for fear of it coming out and losing it etc...and if your worried about ppl seeing your ha's because of vanity then that's ridiculous..be proud of who you are and if ppl are ignorant they have the problem not u

2wd3hgx.gif

Go Alicia!!

{and buy green earmolds while you are at it , Chuck}

Will that blew up my head if I wear it? I mean liberally?

I've been thinking about those tiny hearing aids a lot these days too. I seem to have such bad luck with my earmolds, whether they're hard or soft, or full or half shell. After just a few months each time, I get so much feedback. And then when I replace them, the tubing and new earmolds hurt my ears to the point they bleed/scab over. And this is with different audi's so it's not like the same audi is consistently making me bad earmolds. I've been so frustrated with this the last few years I want to eliminate the whole tubing issue and get something inner-ear, but I think I'm too deaf for that. I'm at 105 db loss so I still wear BTE. I don't mind the BTE whatsoever, it's the earmolds/tubes hurting that I hate.

ha ha way to go, alicia.

i agree that if it was the tiny thingy. i would definintely lose it in one second. it isn't my worth time to worry about it.

Behind-the-Ear hearing aids are the best and most powerful types for people with profound hearing loss.
Actually, BTEs are the best and most powerful for almost any loss. Seriously.....I honestly think that if you tried the BTE in the office, you'd be amazed at how much you can hear vs the dinky aids.

Your doctor is basically telling you the truth assuming you have a severe to profound loss.

I am told the same thing! I have not heard anything yet! My audiolgist went to Denmark as a HA company was coming with a whole line of HA for baby boomers! The company is hoping first time HA wearing would not want to wear the beige HA as they not are pretty . So they made HA in bright fun color , red ,puple etc and animal print! My audiolgist showed me some and I said I wanted one! They are not powerful enough for me! what a drag! The HA are so light and little and look nothing like a HA.
They are put out by Oticon Delta .

I am told the same thing! I have not heard anything yet! My audiolgist went to Denmark as a HA company was coming with a whole line of HA for baby boomers! The company is hoping first time HA wearing would not want to wear the beige HA as they not are pretty . So they made HA in bright fun color , red ,puple etc and animal print! My audiolgist showed me some and I said I wanted one! They are not powerful enough for me! what a drag! The HA are so light and little and look nothing like a HA.
They are put out by Oticon Delta .

You can still get the colors in the powerful hearing aids, just can't have little aids.

I've been thinking about those tiny hearing aids a lot these days too. I seem to have such bad luck with my earmolds, whether they're hard or soft, or full or half shell. After just a few months each time, I get so much feedback. And then when I replace them, the tubing and new earmolds hurt my ears to the point they bleed/scab over. And this is with different audi's so it's not like the same audi is consistently making me bad earmolds. I've been so frustrated with this the last few years I want to eliminate the whole tubing issue and get something inner-ear, but I think I'm too deaf for that. I'm at 105 db loss so I still wear BTE. I don't mind the BTE whatsoever, it's the earmolds/tubes hurting that I hate.

Might want to reduce the gains in the higher frequencies to take care of feedback. Most deaf people don't have any usable hearing above 1000Hz anyway, me included.

Those CICs and dinky little aids are really only suitable for a mild loss or a moderate high frequency loss. They have a max gain of perhaps 30db and even the SPL maxes out at 100-110db. I won't hear a thing with those. I am happy with my powerful Phonak Naida V UP HAs and their 60-75db gain. Being able to hear the best is more important than being vain! :roll:

Actually, BTEs are the best and most powerful for almost any loss. Seriously.....I honestly think that if you tried the BTE in the office, you'd be amazed at how much you can hear vs the dinky aids.
I'm thinking the same thing...

Everyone I know who uses ITE hearing aids have mild hearing loss. I qualify for ITE, but I'm more comfortable with BTE. :)

Chuck wrote:

Hello Chuck. Your audie is right. If you have a severe - profound loss like I do, no unfortunately ITEs or CICs (completely in the canal) will not help. The speaker is so much closer to the microphone that your chances for feedback at the power levels you need increase to 300% (which is how my audie explained it). Basically, your hearing aid will be squealing all the time.

I can understand for vanity purposes wanting to get one of those HAs but your audie is right. They won't produce enough usable audio without feedback for you do well in the majority of situations if your hearing loss is indeed in the severe - profound range.

Hope this helps.

It's not vanity when I have to add a piece of hardware to my body to hear. Maybe if I were worried about the size of my nose or something then it would be. Im tired of the vanity word.

Thanks for the info guys.

Back