Post Office employees

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that most Post Office employees are cold shoulder. They just don't look happy. They don't even smile or act friendly when they pass by, just delivering mail. The same with the front desk for drop off mail, get money orders, etc. They generally don't seem friendly either. I wonder what's their policy for their friendly services. I think the services with customers have gone downhill and don't care much about customers anymore.

That's because the mail volume gone way down hill since the e-mail was invented, and people has been using internet, and using UPS, FedEx as shipper. Post Office has been struggling for a long while, and probably will not have many mails to come in the future as technology booms. They are worried about lay offs and losing benefits, etc.

That is one of many reasons why those employees are feeling nowadays.

That's because the mail volume gone way down hill since the e-mail was invented, and people has been using internet, and using UPS, FedEx as shipper. Post Office has been struggling for a long while, and probably will not have many mails to come in the future as technology booms. They are worried about lay offs and losing benefits, etc.

That is one of many reasons why those employees are feeling nowadays.

Are you assuming that or is that a fact? Do you smile or act like a dick at your job?

Are you assuming that or is that a fact? Do you smile or act like a dick at your job?

It is a fact, look it up in the news, Postal Services are losing $4 billion and will lose up to $7 billion by end of fiscal year. Do you think those employees would be happy to see the company suffer? I guess not, and that is why employees are worried and they are talking of cut backs and 5 days delivery, and closing post offices in some locations. They don't have a choice.

My duties at UPS has nothing to do with talking to customers, my job is way in the back of warehouse doing international auditor. There are good days and bad days, just like everyone else.

Postal Service suffers $2.4 billion loss in latest quarter

It is a fact, look it up in the news, Postal Services are losing $4 billion and will lose up to $7 billion by end of fiscal year. Do you think those employees would be happy to see the company suffer? I guess not, and that is why employees are worried and they are talking of cut backs and 5 days delivery, and closing post offices in some locations. They don't have a choice.

My duties at UPS has nothing to do with talking to customers, my job is way in the back of warehouse doing international auditor. There are good days and bad days, just like everyone else.

Postal Service suffers $2.4 billion loss in latest quarter

I'm talking about the people themselves. I never brought up about the money issue. You know what happens when they continue not being friendly or smile to customers...they lose more customers, then lose businesses. Think about it.

I've noticed that most Post Office employees are cold shoulder. They just don't look happy. They don't even smile or act friendly when they pass by, just delivering mail. The same with the front desk for drop off mail, get money orders, etc. They generally don't seem friendly either. I wonder what's their policy for their friendly services. I think the services with customers have gone downhill and don't care much about customers anymore.

I know someone who used work for post office before and she was not happy because their build is very DIRTY anywhere like thick dust and no one bother to clean. She can't stand with dirty anymore and she quitted.

Other friend used work for post office too and he was boring of it so easy and job is same positive and almost never different. So he quitted.

I don't think it's about money. I heard post office are good salary but hard to get job due hard exam. You must read quick and cause error quick (miss state, not correct zip code, miss street)

Yes, I see many sad PO people over few happy PO people.

I know someone who used work for post office before and she was not happy because their build is very DIRTY anywhere like thick dust and no one bother to clean. She can't stand with dirty anymore and she quitted.

Other friend used work for post office too and he was boring of it so easy and job is same positive and almost never different. So he quitted.

I don't think it's about money. I heard post office are good salary but hard to get job due hard exam. You must read quick and cause error quick (miss state, not correct zip code, miss street)

Yeah it all depends on environment people work. I've heard that applicants has to pass some kind of exam to be able to be hired. When I was hired at UPS, I didn't take such exam... when the interview was done, then I got the job.

Dust is also a big problem, as some are allergic, some can't stand dust. In the first few years would be toughest then later on the more seniority, the easier job.

Some stayed because of great benefit program it have. Some don't care and quit... people are different.

Wow, really? That's terrible about the clean environment. Bingo, that's the answer I was looking for. I wonder if PurpleCatty is a happy PO worker or not. :hmm:

Yeah it all depends on environment people work. I've heard that applicants has to pass some kind of exam to be able to be hired. When I was hired at UPS, I didn't take such exam... when the interview was done, then I got the job.

Dust is also a big problem, as some are allergic, some can't stand dust. In the first few years would be toughest then later on the more seniority, the easier job.

Some stayed because of great benefit program it have. Some don't care and quit... people are different.

Odd. You live from California and dont take exam? When it was happen? One of friend from IL (two years ago) and one of friend from CA (3 years ago), they take exam.

Yes, The government jobs alway have great benefit.

Wow, really? That's terrible about the clean environment. Bingo, that's the answer I was looking for. I wonder if PurpleCatty is a happy PO worker or not. :hmm:

I am not sure if Catty don't give the fuck about dirty since he never wear glove for change the oil.

I think he work for post office vehicle.

Odd. You live from California and dont take exam? When it was happen? One of friend from IL (two years ago) and one of friend from CA (3 years ago), they take exam.

Yes, The government jobs alway have great benefit.

I am not sure if Catty don't give the fuck about dirty since he never wear glove for change the oil.

I don't think they give exams for loader/unloader/sorter position. I was hired for that, I believe the drivers has to take up exam as well as DOT physical to pass to be able to drive their vehicles.

Perhaps they changed the rules since then, I've been with UPS 13 years now. I'm sure a lot of things and rules have changed since. One example of (part of 9/11)... those who loads the air container must wear the ID badge.. before that, there was none.

Our local P.O. Clerks are friendly and helpful.

Guess it depends on which P.O. You go to. Different atmosphere creates different moods.

As for the mail carrier. She is friendly as well she even leave suckers for the kids from time to time in the mail box.

Our regular delivery person is great. He carries dog biscuits and the pooches love him. Only problem is that he gives my dogs too many biscuits when they're on a diet. :cool2:

Our po is just yucky. Period. People grouchy, mail late, like 4 or 5 at our house. I work as mail room clerk at a collge. Before, in the past, our mail at work was there by 9:00. Now, maybe noon. Only few carriers are happy. Today they say all PT's will have hours dropped and another town is transferring folks to this town to take more hours. Sad. Prices up, quality and job satisfaction nonexistant.

Paypal makes a lot of things easier for a lot of people, but makes the employees go postal. I think that's a fair equation.

Based on my experiences, I can see why there's been 2 of the same employees at the post office near my neighborhood for 5 years.

Our regular delivery person is great. He carries dog biscuits and the pooches love him. Only problem is that he gives my dogs too many biscuits when they're on a diet. :cool2:

LOL! Your poor dogs!

Growing up, we were friends with our mail carriers and still to this day, we always put a Christmas gift for our mail carriers.

Hubby was taken aback when he saw me wrap a Christmas gift for our mail carrier. I told him it was a tradition growing up. One year it would be a store gift card, the next year it would be a pack of thick socks and the other year it'd be a restaurant gift card.

Postal workers, mail carriers, UPS workers... they work hard. They have to go through the seasonal environment a lot more than we do. The cold winters, the humid summers, the rainy springs/falls and they can't call in sick for the weather.

Sometimes they have to put up with annoying little dogs running after their ankles or they slip down icy steps because we think they're doing fine with their boots. It is a heavy job with the mail, they have more junk mail to deliver than regular mail.

LOL Your regular delivery person sure has a great sport! lol!

Growing up, we were friends with our mail carriers and still to this day, we always put a Christmas gift for our mail carriers.

Hubby was taken aback when he saw me wrap a Christmas gift for our mail carrier. I told him it was a tradition growing up. One year it would be a store gift card, the next year it would be a pack of thick socks and the other year it'd be a restaurant gift card.

Postal workers, mail carriers, UPS workers... they work hard. They have to go through the seasonal environment a lot more than we do. The cold winters, the humid summers, the rainy springs/falls and they can't call in sick for the weather.

Sometimes they have to put up with annoying little dogs running after their ankles or they slip down icy steps because we think they're doing fine with their boots. It is a heavy job with the mail, they have more junk mail to deliver than regular mail.

Yes we do put Xmas cash or nice tiny candles along with the card to whoever carries the mails every year since i was a kid. WE used to give Xmas cashes to the newspaper delievery but now we dont get newspaper at home anymore except sunday. =? I miss the old times than nowaday but thats OK!

Wow! That's very sweet and considerate. I will try to remember to do that this Christmas for our mail carrier. He is a nice guy.

Back