police stops father

If the cop had let the father go in without any resistance and the father dies, would we be here criticizing the cop for letting the father go on a suicide mission? Just playing devil's advocate here.

In my opinion it's not the cop's decision whether the father lives or dies. That's up to the father. The father knew the risks.

It's my life, I decide if I want to live or not.

nope. doesn't work like that. cops don't allow people to die. that's why they don't let people to jump the bridge.

nope. doesn't work like that. cops don't allow people to die. that's why they don't let people to jump the bridge.

They took a vow to protect and to serve. It is their job.

In this thread, so far it looks like you are the only one who supports police's action.

eh *shrug*. they know very well that I'm right but they don't want to admit it. I understand that they're fathers and I'm not but you know very well that I'm right.

I and cop too wouldn't let a person to die when it's a lost cause. simple as that. like I said - it's a shitty situation.

It wouldn't be fair to be an armchair quarterback because we don't really have a complete picture of what happened.

I would understand the cop's decision if it was clear that the house is a lost cause and so engulfed in flames that it would be a suicide mission running in there. Were there any firefighters there getting ready to barge in? Or was the cop the ONLY public safety official there? I don't know what the house looked like when the father tried to run in but from the police officer viewpoint they deal with people who are not in their right mind.

After all, they deal with drug addicts, DUI offenders, etc... if the police office assumed that everyone is of sound mind he'd be out of a job. The truth is that some people are just nuts or maybe in this situation the father wasn't thinking clearly and didn't realize that his kid was a goner and that he'd just be killing himself running in.

I would be having a hard time if I was the cop to tell the truth and it's really a choice of lesser evils. What would I rather have in my report? 2 deaths or 1 death and 1 stunned person?

yea. let us review based on news mentioned above -

Miller suffered chest burns and was taken to the city jail, although he was later released without being charged.

Both of Riley's parents were taken to Memorial Medical Center's burn unit in Springfield, Ill. by family members for treatment.

Cathy Miller suffered a burn to the cornea in one of her eyes. Both she and her husband were released from hospital on Thursday night.

Jenne said the fire started in an electrical outlet in the rear recreation room where Riley’s parents fell asleep watching television. By the time they awoke, smoke and flames prevented Ryan and Cathy Miller from reaching their son, whose bedroom was at the front of the house. They fled through the back, with Ryan Miller trying unsuccessfully to re-enter the home before the second attempt that led to his arrest.

Jenne said a firefighter tried save Riley, but the house was too hot to enter.

Miller was taken to the city jail and then released without being charged. He and his wife were later treated for minor burns at an Illinois hospital.

see the injuries the parents have sustained while running out of house? that's how bad the situation was. it's done for. the baby's dead.

the father should calm down and rethink it. he has a family to look for.... a wife and another son. what would they do if the father go in and die? stupid.

shut up. deal with it. and move on with the family he has now. proceeding ahead with this lawsuit is not doing anybody good especially his own family. this is not the right way to mourn and heal for good.

from comments. sound like they're firefighters & first responders - former and current.

As an ex-firefighter, I know that once firecrews are onscene, someone untrained running back into the building is seriously bad news. They split our efforts and focus of rescuing whoever is still inside. That said, to taser someone is WAY out of line, and excessive! And prior to a crew arriving, many lives have been saved by someone returning inside - though a huge number have also been lost. Problem is that while my brain says one thing, my heart says another. Personally, I would want the freedom to make a rational attempt at a rescue. Regardless, I would just love to slap that cop with the taser.

As first responders we do what we can, when we can. I remember the name of every person I failed to save in a fire. I know their Birthday, the age, what they did. With children, their favorite toy and color, what they wanted to be. All of them. They don't leave you, ever. but when we are on scene/ We need to focus on the people inside, When more go inside, we cant focus. We split up. No one wanted a baby to die. But the baby did. Its no ones fault. allowing more in means an extension in those that could have lived but died.

From a firefighter. DONT bust open a window. That feeds the fire and makes it worse. If there are fighters on scene PLEASE don't run in. Your heart is telling you to do it, but in my past it leads to more fatalities. We are required by law to split up based on the amount of people in the building. If we aren't split up we have a WAY BETTER chance of finding your child alive. Listening to your heart is easier than your head. 99% of fighters I know would give their child. running in makes it twice as hard to save your child. I don't blame him. I don't know what I would have done. We would never ever want to see a child die. I would gi

I don't like to talk about this since it still is very sore spot but...three months ago we were called out to a house fire in my city (obviously I am a fire fighter). Family of five in a burning home. Mom, dad, and two kids made it out. One was left behind due to him being in a different part of the house. Despite us being on scene and in the building looking for the child. Dad was able to break free and ran back into the house, quickly followed by his teen son. We immediately had to split into a group of three to protect the baby, dad, and the son. All three died, including a fellow firefighter. Because we had to split up. If they had faith that we would do everything in our power to save a baby they ran in. I don't blame the, this is my job. I know how people react. BUT we could have saved that baby (age 3). He ran out of a safe location because he heard his dad and we were divided. People may not understand with their hearts but they should understand with their heads.

Under what grounds could they possibly justify handcuffing and tasering this man? Which law could he have possibly have broken? I am not a parent myself but I have a lot of children in my family and job, and I know that as an adult I would have to try my best to save defenceless children from harm. I imagine if I were a parent that desire, no, need, to save my child would be a million times stronger. This may have resulted in a double tragedy, yes, but it may not have. And at least that man would've died trying to save his child. The police had no right to take that decision out of his hands. I am very sorry for this poor family.

There is a law in the book that don't necessarily agree with as a firefighter. But it is there. it is classified as inferring with rescue efforts. Firefighters were on scene and we would never ever want a child to die because we failed them. not even two moths ago we lost a father, son, a baby, and fellow firefighter because someone rushed back in. My co-worker had 2 kids and 1 on the way. He died because he went after the father and teen. WE do everything a parent would do because a child's death is never something you "get past". I understand. I do. But don't go into a burning building when fighters are there, its putting all at risk.

The cop let the baby die , the poor child was in found in the doorway of his bedroom , his might had been able to saved him if that damn cop did not use a stun gun on him. The fire marshal is investigating this , I would love to know what the outcome will be. Wrong, some cops where involves the driver of SUV getting beaten by a mop of thugs a few weeks ago. I think there where3 or 4 cops that got arrested for being apart of attack on the guy.
There are still are bad cops around.

playing devils advocate is it possible they could see fire was so bad that there was no hope..It hard but sometimes need look from objective view not subjective one. heartbreaking situation

"The fire started in a recreation room at the rear of the house. The parents had fallen asleep watching television, but were woken by the smoke alarm and managed to get out of the building via a rear door in the same room. They then called 911."

I found a web site that said that about smoke alarm . It was not showing up on the links posted on the thread.

Wow Jiro you sure did your homework! So I can definitely see the police officer made the right call, the father may not like his decision but maybe in the future he will realize the cop did him a favor.

playing devils advocate is it possible they could see fire was so bad that there was no hope..It hard but sometimes need look from objective view not subjective one. heartbreaking situation

We may never know how bad the fire was , the dad must had not seen it as being a hopeless situation as he thinking of suing the police department.

We may never know how bad the fire was , the dad must had not seen it as being a hopeless situation

Did you see that firefighters were on scene and they wouldn't even go in? Those are trained professionals that deal with situations like this on a daily basis. I trust their judgment over a distraught father.

Going on a tangent, it's the similar situation for doctors and nurses, as a rule they don't have family as patients because it can be extremely hard to be objective and do their job effectively.

lady down my road had fire her three kids were in it Fire brigade tried stop her going back but to late sadly she died so did her three babies her fourth was saved but fire brigade said the others may have had a chance if she not gone back..IT impossible to think with any clarity under such situations My first thought would be run back save them but until full inquiry done i dont think i could comment on police actions

from comments. Sound like they're firefighters & first responders - former and current.
Oh, no!
1MqpZvr.gif

there is a law in the book that don't necessarily agree with as a firefighter. But it is there. It is classified as inferring with rescue efforts. Firefighters were on scene and we would never ever want a child to die because we failed them. Not even two moths ago we lost a father, son, a baby, and fellow firefighter because someone rushed back in. My co-worker had 2 kids and 1 on the way. He died because he went after the father and teen. we do everything a parent would do because a child's death is never something you "get past". I understand. I do. But don't go into a burning building when fighters are there, its putting all at risk.
Also I was wondering why the father didn't go around to break his son's bedroom window instead.

From a firefighter. DONT bust open a window. That feeds the fire and makes it worse. If there are fighters on scene PLEASE don't run in. Your heart is telling you to do it, but in my past it leads to more fatalities. We are required by law to split up based on the amount of people in the building. If we aren't split up we have a WAY BETTER chance of finding your child alive. Listening to your heart is easier than your head. 99% of fighters I know would give their child. running in makes it twice as hard to save your child. I don't blame him. I don't know what I would have done. We would never ever want to see a child die. I would gi
I am learning something new. Thanks, Jiro. Like A Nihilist said, boy, you did your homework (fact findings) to make an EXCELLENT point.

The police couldn't stop the father who is a big man so they tasered him because they didn't want him die in the burning house, too.

Last edited:
The cop let the baby die , the poor child was in found in the doorway of his bedroom , his might had been able to saved him if that damn cop did not use a stun gun on him. The fire marshal is investigating this , I would love to know what the outcome will be.
didn't you read that the father could not get to him the first time? they ran out of the house and then tried to get back in. it is pretty obvious that the situation was FUBAR once the father couldn't reach him first time. you know what that means? the father would pass out within seconds because of smoke inhalation. you do remember what it felt like when you inhaled a thick smoke of fire, right? you do remember what your eyes felt like when you go thru a thick smoke of fire, right? multiply that intensity by 5x+. he would drop dead right after getting into a house.

Wrong, some cops where involves the driver of SUV getting beaten by a mop of thugs a few weeks ago. I think there where3 or 4 cops that got arrested for being apart of attack on the guy.
There are still are bad cops around.
irrelevant.

Wirelessly posted

Why didn't the father grabbed the son before he got out in the first place? That's my question.

Back