Planning for college..

Thanks springtime! And springtime is late deaf right? You can go to RIT, if you're dhh but not as an "offical" NTID student.
That means you could take advantage of a VERY good system of accomondations, specificly for dhh folks! The trouble with college is again.....most disabilty services tend to be good at accomondating LD students and have just basic accomondations for students with more classic disabilites. Meaning things like C-Print are easily given to you, instead of making do with a crappy student notetaker.
Even if you're minimal accomondations in high school, good quality college accomondations could really help you. College is a lot harder then high school. You might be able to do OK with just a notetaker.....but on the other hand, RIT/NTID might be the key to REALLY thriving. Not to mention that socially it can be AMAZING!!!! (a lot of AG Bell hoh kids end up at NTID after struggling socially in high school, and they end up loving it!)
ALSO, since you want to be a psyclogist, you could become fluent in ASL, and advertise yourself as being accessible to the Deaf community...like you could help dhh kids with adjusting to hearing families, and hearing parents learn to accept their child's difference.....not to mention that you could help parents and kids with ALL kinds of disabilites adjust to accepting life with a disabilty in a POSITIVE way!

We could use more psychology who can work with deaf people (they can work with hearing people if they want to). people have no idea how most have to deal with their problems on their own. Most psychologist only know how to work with and communicate with hearing people.

Thanks foreplies, all.
I don't know what you mean by the difference of deafness..? I'm like mild-mod hoh on a good day :P I have a mixed loss. Although I've experienced the college representative visits from both deaf schools, I'm not really considering either. I know they accept non-complete deaf kids, but right now just not something I'm thinking about. I'm looking for a major in psych. I have my own fm/hearing aids. I'm not really sure what I'd be looking for in college. I'm on 504 right now I think? Because I really don't need too much support from my totd. I think small classes would be better.
:ty:

If you want smaller classes, your best bet is to start off community college because they are usually smaller, then you can transfer to a bigger college later. It will save you money as well.That's what my sister did.

I would ask whoever the RIT/NTID rep was, if there's anyone you could talk to about their experiance at RIT....like see if there are any hoh but not enrolled in NTID students you could talk to about their experiance. I'm just encouraging you to look into NTID/RIT simply b/c their support services for dhh students are SUPERB!
You mention a TOD.....I don't really know you beyond what you post here....BUT, I do think that "winging it as a solotaire" in college is something that should only be undertaken by someone who is very high acheiver. Not saying that you aren't....lol....but from what you've said it sounds more like you're the type of student who would have the flagship of your state's university system as a "safety" school right? I would ask your TOD if she knows of any colleges or universities with a sizable population of dhh students, so you'd have the advantages of a hearing college, but still be able to take advantage of dhh stuff easily.

Back