Planning for college..

girlingrey

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking about what college I'll want to go to, etc. I'm going to have to meet with an advisor to talk about what I'm looking for in a college. Because I'm hoh, not deaf, I'm not thinking about RITD or Gallaudet.
Are there any particular schools that have good, minor services for d/hoh. I use FM/h-aids. Is there anything I should be looking for? So far I am thinking small class size? Anything else?

I recommend a good community college. :) It will fit you in just fine. Most classes in a community college that I have experienced thru were only about average of 10-12 people in a class.

I am not interested in community college...better for prestigous college will give you knowledge and experience, offers you advanced education.

I am not interested in community college...better for prestigous college will give you knowledge and experience, offers you advanced education.

SHUT THE HELL UP, this is not a thread about you!

The suggestion is not for you. be gone.

So, I'm thinking about what college I'll want to go to, etc. I'm going to have to meet with an advisor to talk about what I'm looking for in a college. Because I'm hoh, not deaf, I'm not thinking about RITD or Gallaudet.
Are there any particular schools that have good, minor services for d/hoh. I use FM/h-aids. Is there anything I should be looking for? So far I am thinking small class size? Anything else?

What area do you live in?

My advise, go with a college that has small classes that way the professor won't avoid you in the process of teaching. I went to Pennsylvania College of Technology (basically because they have the best Collision major in the state) but also because the class sizes were small and not over-crowded with 50 to 100 students per room. Another thing to look into for college is getting a program for your laptop that writes down the notes from what the professor is saying. (a person being your note taker would work too but even they miss important details) I forget the name of the computer program that does that, but I know it uses the FM system now instead of having to have a mic by your laptop the entire time.

Not sure what else I could be helpful on...

omg.jpg

My suggestion is exactly same as Sequioas and Jiro said so.

If you feel like ready to go in university then go for it.

I don't want to go to community college. I have pretty good grades, some honors/AP classes, from a pretty good public hs. I'm wondering what I should be thinking about when I talk to my counselor?

hi girlingrey,

Can you give me an idea of what kind of colleges are you looking for?

A question, are you just audilogically hoh, or more Hearing Loss Association of America style "hoh/hearing impaired"? There is a difference.
Actually you CAN go to NTID or Gally if you're hoh. 20% of dhh kids who attend NTID start out knowing minimal or no ASL. Gally also has a new signers program.....and hoh kids can fit into the Deaf world. The Deaf world isn't just for voice off profoundly deaf, attended deaf school/deaf programs all their lives kids. Something that I think may get glossed over is that unless you're a super high acheiver, it can be very hard to network or get a job in the hearing world. It might be something to look into....like something a little different. You might discover " hey! ASL actually is helpful! " It's also lots easier socially
Or maybe attend a college with a strong Dhh population. You do not want to end up at a state college, where the only accomodnation is a notetaker and FM device
I did the solo deafie thing, and although I enjoyed my undergrad experiance if I could do it over again, I would have opted for Gally or NTID, to take advantage of job networking and social stuff. It's just too hard to hack it in the hearing world unless you're super acheiver :(

girlngrey ME DUH!!!! I forgot who you were for a sec..:giggle:....We have too many posters here...LOL. But, if I were you I'd wouldn't nessarily cross off RIT/NTID off the list. Even if you're not an offical NTID student, you could still take advantage of a hearing college that has a REALLY good system of accomondations for dhh students. Good accomondations are KEY! You don't want to end up at a college that isn't used to dealing with dhh students, and so gives you crappy accomondations.

I don't want to go to community college. I have pretty good grades, some honors/AP classes, from a pretty good public hs. I'm wondering what I should be thinking about when I talk to my counselor?

What are your goals, what do you want to do in a career? A school counselor will be able to answer your questions on what your needs and what will fit you in.

There is nothing wrong with a community college. Lot of deaf people go to community colleges like for example Seattle Community College or Santa Rosa Junior College.

Thanks foreplies, all.
I don't know what you mean by the difference of deafness..? I'm like mild-mod hoh on a good day :P I have a mixed loss. Although I've experienced the college representative visits from both deaf schools, I'm not really considering either. I know they accept non-complete deaf kids, but right now just not something I'm thinking about. I'm looking for a major in psych. I have my own fm/hearing aids. I'm not really sure what I'd be looking for in college. I'm on 504 right now I think? Because I really don't need too much support from my totd. I think small classes would be better.
:ty:

girlngrey ME DUH!!!! I forgot who you were for a sec..:giggle:....We have too many posters here...LOL. But, if I were you I'd wouldn't nessarily cross off RIT/NTID off the list. Even if you're not an offical NTID student, you could still take advantage of a hearing college that has a REALLY good system of accomondations for dhh students. Good accomondations are KEY! You don't want to end up at a college that isn't used to dealing with dhh students, and so gives you crappy accomondations.

Yes, I agree-my oldest DS is a freshman at RIT, he is not Deaf/HOH, but he has fellow students in his major that are, they are not necessarily NTID students. Dh, Ds and I attended the two day orientation a few weeks back, and were impressed how the school seemed to accomodate everyone. The sessions were either/both intreperted and captioned.

I didn't go to college and I wasn't HOH when I was that age (I am now)-but after being at RIT, I thought, wow, this would be the place for me had I been HOH when I was 18.

Thanks springtime! And springtime is late deaf right? You can go to RIT, if you're dhh but not as an "offical" NTID student.
That means you could take advantage of a VERY good system of accomondations, specificly for dhh folks! The trouble with college is again.....most disabilty services tend to be good at accomondating LD students and have just basic accomondations for students with more classic disabilites. Meaning things like C-Print are easily given to you, instead of making do with a crappy student notetaker.
Even if you're minimal accomondations in high school, good quality college accomondations could really help you. College is a lot harder then high school. You might be able to do OK with just a notetaker.....but on the other hand, RIT/NTID might be the key to REALLY thriving. Not to mention that socially it can be AMAZING!!!! (a lot of AG Bell hoh kids end up at NTID after struggling socially in high school, and they end up loving it!)
ALSO, since you want to be a psyclogist, you could become fluent in ASL, and advertise yourself as being accessible to the Deaf community...like you could help dhh kids with adjusting to hearing families, and hearing parents learn to accept their child's difference.....not to mention that you could help parents and kids with ALL kinds of disabilites adjust to accepting life with a disabilty in a POSITIVE way!

Back