Picky eaters

Sydlie

Reaction score
As a kid I was a seriously picky eater, but since I've grown up, I'll pretty much try anything once, and if I'm a guest somewhere, I'll eat it and say I like it just to make people happy (unless of course, I'm allergic) The only thing I won't eat is onions, and I'll pick those out if I'm at someone's house, I hate people going to too much trouble for me.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is how picky are you? And is there any way to be picky and polite at the same time? I've been discussing it with my friend tonight and we're thinking that when you're a guest somewhere you pretty much should eat what you're given just to be polite (unless, of course, you're allergic)

And lastly, why is it always the terribly picky people that insist on answering the "What do you want to eat" question with "I don't care" when they know they'll turn down everything you suggest anyway???? Grrrr!

yup, sometimes i tell them i dont want ANY mushroom on anything. i do like tomatoes but i dont like them on sandwiches or burgers. i do eat tomatoes in salad.

me--->weird

I've not turned down anything.

I always say, "I don't care." I only say that to people who already know me.

My dad is the only one I wouldn't say "I don't care" 'cause he made me a turtle soup (didn't tell me what it was until I ate it all), buffalo tongue, chicken livers, squirrel hearts, and few other things. Now I resist to say "i don't care" when he asks.

My mother..she just wonders what I want for dinner..I would just say, "hot food" or "cold food."

Lisa knows that I really dont' care...if her mother asks both of us what we want from KFC, I just say I don't care..and Lisa would tell her mother something about what I wanted. :)

well the ONLY thing i won't eat is green beans tastes bland AND chili beans or any brown beans BLAH thats pretty much what i won t eat!

LOL. I am a picky eater. I always turn down something I don't like with "I'm not hungry, I am full from lunch. Sorry" or something like that. I hate doing that, but I do. Also, when I cook, because I am a fussy eater, I really don't mind going out of the way for others. I'll make whatever they want. But I don't want people going out of the way for me.

Also, I am VERY undecisive about restaurants. To me, it is "Anything But Micky D's." I will do Micky D's on occasion, but I don't like it.

Originally posted by Sydlie
As a kid I was a seriously picky eater, but since I've grown up, I'll pretty much try anything once, and if I'm a guest somewhere, I'll eat it and say I like it just to make people happy (unless of course, I'm allergic) The only thing I won't eat is onions, and I'll pick those out if I'm at someone's house, I hate people going to too much trouble for me.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is how picky are you? And is there any way to be picky and polite at the same time? I've been discussing it with my friend tonight and we're thinking that when you're a guest somewhere you pretty much should eat what you're given just to be polite (unless, of course, you're allergic)

And lastly, why is it always the terribly picky people that insist on answering the "What do you want to eat" question with "I don't care" when they know they'll turn down everything you suggest anyway???? Grrrr!

You know what, I don't give a shit what others think of me...I'd dare to pick onions off my hamburger, they go :shock: at me while I do that...hell, why should I suffer to eat those if I don't like it? I'll do what I got to do, will dare to take off what I don't like...if I see mushrooms, onions, black olives on pizza, I'll pick it out, put it aside. They go :eek: at me, I don't give a flying rats about it. I know its not polite to do that but I don't care what others think. :o I'd do that ANYWHERE...even at resturants, or whatever. :laugh2:

Edit:

I won't let my son see me doing that...so when he's not watching me...I'd pick it out quick. I don't want my son to learn and do the same what I do. Hehe ;)

Last edited:
I'm a very picky eater. But not in the way that you may think so.

My mother cooks like an old fashioned person. She boils and boils and boils her veggies until it is at its near death. Soooo mushy. She cooks her meat until it is very crispy and covered with black burns. She never uses spices or herbs in her food. It's rather plain!

I always end up adding spices and herbs to my dish in the kitchen, so that it would taste much better. Sometimes my mum can cook good though... but I still have to add something sometimes.

I am also picky when it comes to coffee. I cannot stand weak watery coffee that my mum makes. I always tell her "oooh, coffee-coloured water!" If I make my own coffee, she gets very upset, because it is her kitchen. I like to have strong coffees that actually has tastes. At Wawa, I sometimes have to pour a little coffee into the cup and taste it first to see if it is acceptable or not. They know me and got used to seeing me doing that!!! My mum once said that I was "too much" about that, but I told her: "I am buying this coffee, so I want to make sure it is good coffee before I buy it!"

The only vegetable that I don't like to eat is asparagus and yam. I do eat sweet potatoes though. When I cook my veggies, I tend to like to stir fry them and keep them crispy and steamed. I hate mushy veggies.

I don't eat seafood, except sushi and those salmon lox on bagels. Weird...

When I visit someone, if they ask me what I want, I usually ask them what they have and how they prepare it. Most of the time it's no problem. When I have ppl coming for dinner, I never ask them what they want, because I think it is wrong to ask your guests what they want. The only thing to ask is if they are allergic to anything or what they don't like. I usually ask them "Is there anything that you don't like?" and take it from there.

I can related to Kufije because I can't stand the way my mom cooks. For example, I can tell that baked potatoes are too much mushy. I told her that it is too much butter!! My late grandma was excellent cook and food were great. My mom, of course, sadly.. is not exact cook as her mom was. Oh, well.

Of course, I am damn picky since then. I barf at yams, mashed potatoes, ice cream, and grossy food. That's it. LOL

i seem to be pretty much flexiable -- i just basically tell ppl im a semi-vegetarian -- i just despise mushrooms, yams, red or green peppers in some dishes and some other foods i dont remmy right off the bat LOL

and my BEST FRIEND in the kitchen is --------> the nuker!! aka microwave :lol:

*looks at Heather and knowing her response to this* hahaha :laugh2: :laugh2:

Originally posted by Fly Free
i seem to be pretty much flexiable -- i just basically tell ppl im a semi-vegetarian -- i just despise mushrooms, yams, red or green peppers in some dishes and some other foods i dont remmy right off the bat LOL

and my BEST FRIEND in the kitchen is --------> the nuker!! aka microwave :lol:

*looks at Heather and knowing her response to this* hahaha :laugh2: :laugh2:

haha. Nuker forever!!! ^5 to Fly Free. I can cook, but basically lazy!! Once I get home in Sin City, then I will cook better. LOL :naughty:

I am not a picky eater. I pretty much eat anything I see on my plate at someone's house, or in a restuarant. If I'm full, I simply tell them that I'm still full from the last meal.

My boys are totally the opposite. :squint: Hate that.

I'll bet Kootchie's mom is Irish. My mom's family is all from Ireland and they cook EXACTLY like that.

Let me tell you, you know it's bad when your grandmother BOILS the Thanksgiving turkey in a mix of water and whiskey. -shudders-

For those of you that are picky at someone's house, would you at least be willing to make a request when they ask you what you want? This whole thread is basically because the boy is SO picky and it's making me crazy, I love to cook and I'm really good at it, but if I ask you what you want and you say you don't care, dammit, you'd better not tell me you don't like the first 4 things I think of, it makes me crazy!

Heather, I'm glad to hear you won't do that in front og your kids, maybe Kevin will take a note from that. I have this fear that I'm going to go crazy when we have kids because I'll be telling them to eat and they'll say "But Daddy's not eating it." and I'll have to kill him LOL

I just want to get him to break the habit....

What 4 things? I think I have tried a Thanksgiving turkey boiled in alochol. It did taste pretty good considering that it got more sweeter inside. :p

Lisa's brother is so picky..so I never bother cooking for him...he'll rather eat some junk food. I just leave it be.

The kids will follow your examples. That's why it's always good to set a good example. :)

Not a picky eater here, I'd try almost anything. I can be fussy when it comes to how the dish is prepared. I am not a vegetarian, but I do not eat red meats, except bacon and sausages. I can't resist Polish Kielbasa (sp?) sausages during the holidays.

Originally posted by kuifje75

My mother cooks like an old fashioned person. She boils and boils and boils her veggies until it is at its near death. Soooo mushy. She cooks her meat until it is very crispy and covered with black burns. She never uses spices or herbs in her food. It's rather plain!

:laugh2: Flashbacks of my childhood. My mom cooked the same way. My brother and I finally convinced her to to use a steamer to cook the veggies. Our dinner got so much better after that. We were amazed that a cooked broccoli stem could stay upright.

My dad had this strange fear of salmonella, so he boiled his chicken for 40 minutes before using it in whatever recipe. His chicken was very BLAND! My brother and I always dreaded to discover that "we're having chicken for dinner."

I love most of my mom's cooking. She makes killer BBQ Porkchetta sandwiches, sliced cucumber and onion in apple cider vinegar, potato salad, deviled eggs, and tons more. She is famous for her bacon-wrapped chestnuts in whiskey sauce. I like to make that for a potluck, always a winner. :)

Originally posted by Sydlie
I'll bet Kootchie's mom is Irish. My mom's family is all from Ireland and they cook EXACTLY like that.
:laugh2: I have a friend whose Irish mother boils everything in her sight. Boiled meats, boiled potatoes and vegetables, even boiled bread.

I remember seeing a recipe for boiled cake in one of my grandmother's recipe books. I am not sure if anyone in my family had tried that.

Originally posted by PaxThoreau
:laugh2: I have a friend whose Irish mother boils everything in her sight. Boiled meats, boiled potatoes and vegetables, even boiled bread.

I remember seeing a recipe for boiled cake in one of my grandmother's recipe books. I am not sure if anyone in my family had tried that.

:shock: BOILED bread and cake qq *thud* those are the ones ive never heard of!

I am a recovering picky eater! haha

My tongue is adjusted to medium hot tabasco so spicy food doesnt bother me - unless I eat Pakistan food (heartburn!!), and I don't like to eat dry food... I don't like eating raw tomatoes, they make me puke.... mushrooms... yeuuhhh... fungus! Olives! Ew... pork/ham.. forget it! No Mayo! Weird enrails like livers and all other stuff... frog legs...

Worse of all, I hate liverpaste! lmao!! It's sort of a popular condiment in Norway..... more like for spreading over bread and crackers.

I will eat peas, broccoli, turnips, onions, and all other greenie stuff.... see? Recovering! hehe

I would try culturally diverse food dishes out....... just don't wave a darn frog leg or pig uterus in my face! heheheee

Syd, the most humane way for me to turn down a... eh, disliked portion of food is to say that I'm allergic to it. ;) Just a lil white lie! haha

Back