Phonak Naida

I have been looking at whether I can use the iCom and Comfort Contego with my Naida VUP's. Does anyone have experience or know about this. It would save a lot of money.

Also I'm having problems with voices. My own and others are too deep and nasally. My initial setting was good, but in the process of changing other things we lost the natural sounding voices. Audiologist is being great, but it would help if I could be more specific when I go in for adjustments.

Your audiologist may have "maxed" out the BassBoost setting on your Naidas. I would have him/her drop it a notch and see if this helps with the deep voices. I had the same issue with maxed out Bassboost...I cried that the background noises were too much, so the Phonak rep removed all BassBoost and left me with "weenie" sounding voices and missed sounds due to missing bass sounds. I ended up moving the Bassboost to 3dB from the 0-6dB boost as shown on the iPFG screen. I think it was simply 3 settings, 0, 3 and 6....but the sky may be the limit in fine tuning.......

be sure to write down all your complaints and observations. This will help the audi diagnose and make a correct adjustment and keep you from having too many visits......hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Thank you. I have been keeping notes, but just don't know enough to ask good questions. I've had 5 adjustments and one was with a Phonak trainer to clear up distortion in the left ear. After that session I was hearing well, but the voices were unnatural. My audiologist lowered the pitch (perhaps added bass?) as I thought that the voices were too strained, hard, and nasal, but she upped the volume too much. My own voice is loud, hard, and unnatural. Initially music was good, now it isn't. Some sounds (music) are splatting again.

My background noises don't seem to be cutting back as they should either. My settings are mute/phone (1beep) and mute/sound(2 beeps) and the setting for cutting background(3 beeps) plus the normal setting.

Details like the ones you gave me will help. Thank you!

Thank you. I have been keeping notes, but just don't know enough to ask good questions. I've had 5 adjustments and one was with a Phonak trainer to clear up distortion in the left ear. After that session I was hearing well, but the voices were unnatural. My audiologist lowered the pitch (perhaps added bass?) as I thought that the voices were too strained, hard, and nasal, but she upped the volume too much. My own voice is loud, hard, and unnatural. Initially music was good, now it isn't. Some sounds (music) are splatting again.

My background noises don't seem to be cutting back as they should either. My settings are mute/phone (1beep) and mute/sound(2 beeps) and the setting for cutting background(3 beeps) plus the normal setting.

Details like the ones you gave me will help. Thank you!

It does sound like what I had to go through. The BassBoost was increased too much and needs to be dropped a setting. The music setting might have been removed from the manual settings. Since you have 4 manuals plus one automatic setting, I think you might want to have them add music to one of them and remove one of the mute settings.....I have the following settings on mine:

1. speech in noise
2. FM
3. FM with aid microphones
4. music
5. automatic setting

the default goes to the automatic setting, but you can have the default be any one of the programs.....

The music program activates all of the sound spectrum.....it's really noisy unless you're listening to music. I don't suggest using it in a noisy restaurant...LOL

I think speech in noise is what I have, but the voices I don't want to hear are too loud also, background voices. Why do you have FM and FM with aid microphones. What is that?

Oh. I think I understand. That would be like the phone with outside sound muted and the phone with outside sound activated?

Oh. I think I understand. That would be like the phone with outside sound muted and the phone with outside sound activated?

yes...correct.....

for FM only, I use it in either on-on one speech situations or music on the computer or iPod. The FM with mic is used in bigger rooms when the speaker id farther away, then you put the FM transmitter near the speaker. You will also have the microphones activated on your aids so you can hear the people speaking to the speaker.

I think speech in noise is what I have, but the voices I don't want to hear are too loud also, background voices. Why do you have FM and FM with aid microphones. What is that?

I think there is also the capability for the Naida aids to have directional microphone capability...but the background noises is a delicate situation that probably requires the FM equipment to help reduce. I would try your best to get your audi to adjust the speech in noise level to where you can effectively block out surrounding noise and hear only the person in front of you. If you need to hear further up in front, then that might require the FM equipment for better control.

Confort Contego

I have been looking at whether I can use the iCom and Comfort Contego with my Naida VUP's. Does anyone have experience or know about this. It would save a lot of money.

Also I'm having problems with voices. My own and others are too deep and nasally. My initial setting was good, but in the process of changing other things we lost the natural sounding voices. Audiologist is being great, but it would help if I could be more specific when I go in for adjustments.

I actually just heard about the Contego Friday 13 Dec. from an audi that I will be seeing on the 23rd. I had told her I was interested in the following with the Quotes I've gotten so far
Naida V UP - $3600 a pr
iCom - $300
Smart Link SF - $800
MXi Receiver - $800

She told me about the Contego and that she had some HAs that had the Smart Link that switched to the Contego and liked the Contego better. Plus the Contego comes with a Loop and the FM Transmitter for under $1,000 and the Contego will feed to standard T-coils.
I’ve tried the Naida setup and I like the Bluetooth compatibility of the iCom but would still need the FM for Meetings and lectures. Looking forward to seeing what she has to offer.

I just read this whole thread because I just got a pair of Naida SP and love them. I had them for 45 days so far and they ar ebetter then my older Phonaks I had which use to cut out often.

The only things I do not like about my SP's is the 5 second bootup time, and that annoying beeps changing channels. But the speach recognition is much better for me then my older pair. But we did have to tinker a bit and fine tune them.

I went to Rochester Hearing & Speech Center and had great experience there. I will report how I have managed to find a very inexpensive solution to work on the phone with these! Inexpensive neck loop is all I needed and works great for me for most calls including forieng calls with heavy aceint. Increased ability from 60% recognition to 80%!

I actually just heard about the Contego Friday 13 Dec. from an audi that I will be seeing on the 23rd. I had told her I was interested in the following with the Quotes I've gotten so far
Naida V UP - $3600 a pr
iCom - $300
Smart Link SF - $800
MXi Receiver - $800

She told me about the Contego and that she had some HAs that had the Smart Link that switched to the Contego and liked the Contego better. Plus the Contego comes with a Loop and the FM Transmitter for under $1,000 and the Contego will feed to standard T-coils.
I’ve tried the Naida setup and I like the Bluetooth compatibility of the iCom but would still need the FM for Meetings and lectures. Looking forward to seeing what she has to offer.

Good luck with the trial...I went against the Contego because I needed more mobility and the Contego was just too much baggage to carry. Furthermore, it didn't have bluetooth, which meant I needed to buy the iCom.....so 2 items hanging from my neck is overkill.......

The only things I do not like about my SP's is the 5 second bootup time, and that annoying beeps changing channels.

I agree! I have the UPs and initially they had musical tones when they boot up or connected to the iCom. They were so loud everyone could hear them in a quiet room. My audie was able to turn off the "tones" and now they just beep. I really am not bothered much since my hearing loss is so profound now. I still wish they'd remove the bootup delay. I'm guessing they were also designed for elderly people or those who can't get their aids on quickly, to avoid the annoying feedback.

I agree! I have the UPs and initially they had musical tones when they boot up or connected to the iCom. They were so loud everyone could hear them in a quiet room. My audie was able to turn off the "tones" and now they just beep. I really am not bothered much since my hearing loss is so profound now. I still wish they'd remove the bootup delay. I'm guessing they were also designed for elderly people or those who can't get their aids on quickly, to avoid the annoying feedback.

you must put them on fast.....I thought the bootup delay can be lessened....the delay I have seem to be just fine....boots up like a fast computer!!

you must put them on fast.....I thought the bootup delay can be lessened....the delay I have seem to be just fine....boots up like a fast computer!!

Not as fast as I'd like. I'll ask my audie about decreasing the delay. Thanks! :ty:

OK folks
Been doing a lot of reading on the Naida V UP to the point I’m confused.
I understand there are 4 programs plus the default that can be set to different hearing environments. I’m guessing with all of the Naida experts on this site I can get some excellent advice so I don’t have all the miss-steps some others have had in setting theses HAs up.
Here’s what I’m hoping to achieve
1-Everyday wear and hear – No compression just boost it (What I get now)

2-Meeting and lectures using the FM to Bluetooth to the HAs plus hearing directly from the HAs for those that are sitting closer to me then the FM device

3-TV Watching at home with my Surround Sound Components hopefully via blue tooth but I still need to be able to converse with the wife as well as hear her laugh during the movie (can’t make it through the day without her laughter!) but I don’t want to hear the clatter of people getting stuff from the kitchen.

4-In the Car I want to be able to hear the conversation and or Music without all of the wind noise!!!

5-Cell Phone and Music via Bluetooth I plan to update the cell to one that will hold a lot of music which will eliminate the need to update to a Bluetooth MP3 player

6-Noisy environments want to keep up with the conversation in my group of 4 or 6 at my table or standing around the office coffee pot.

I know I want it all but hey I can dream right?

I’ve had HAs since I was 5 (now 42) and I’m tired of people feeling sorry for me or laughing at me when I say or ask something that someone just said or asked because I didn’t hear them. You people know what I mean you’ve been there. Most hearing people can’t help the reaction they have to this situation mention above its human nature at work. Some laugh because they are nervous and don’t know how to react.

What I would give to have some of my friends hear like me for a day not to mention my two Teenagers.

Anyway any ideas on the above wish list will be greatly appreciated. I don’t want to spend close to $6000 and not be happy with the results.

Thanks!!

BTW ljjehl - Thanks for sharing your connection to DARS, I will be meeting a DAC Representative next week.

I've gotten mine about two weeks ago, after a mix up (SP Naida were received, no UP.) I have a Mod-sev hearing loss, and I ended up having the gain boosted well above the recommended setting. Overall, things sound clearer, a bit different from the sound recovery, the FM system reception works a lot better than my previous (superos.) The right one is malfunction though so I need to go in again, but I suspect it might be because the new mold was cut too short because the manufacturer cuts them before they ship them <_<

RE: Phonak Nadia

Well since my last post in this thread I've met with a wonderful lady at the Deaf Action center in Dallas and she got me hookedup with a DARS rep. 10 appointments later I'm now in line to get CI for my left ear (The weakest). So now I will be half CI and Half HA. Can't wait......

Well since my last post in this thread I've met with a wonderful lady at the Deaf Action center in Dallas and she got me hookedup with a DARS rep. 10 appointments later I'm now in line to get CI for my left ear (The weakest). So now I will be half CI and Half HA. Can't wait......

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor!!
:D

Awesome! :)

I'm New here and i am wondering if any can give me advice on getting the best HA batteris for my Phonak Naida, I am using Durcell right now and they don't seem too last long.

Back