Phonak Naida

Is Phonak Naida a digital or Analog? I am curious. I never have a digital ha before.

I really need some help. I have bilateral sensorineural hearing loss in the severe-profound range. I have used Phonak for several years, and own a Smartlink.

Yesterday I was fitted with two Naidas. The audiologist said the Smartlink could not be used with these. So, as of this morning I believe that I have to kiss FM goodbye.

However, other posts have mentioned using Smartlink with the Naida.

Does anyone know for sure? I'm really computer and tech oriented, but right now I'm pretty confused.

I would think Smartlink would work fine with the Naidas.... I have an OLD OLD FM system (the HandyMic, which is no longer made), and it worked fine with the Naida FM shoe. Maybe try emailing Phonak about this.

I really need some help. I have bilateral sensorineural hearing loss in the severe-profound range. I have used Phonak for several years, and own a Smartlink.

Yesterday I was fitted with two Naidas. The audiologist said the Smartlink could not be used with these. So, as of this morning I believe that I have to kiss FM goodbye.

However, other posts have mentioned using Smartlink with the Naida.

Does anyone know for sure? I'm really computer and tech oriented, but right now I'm pretty confused.

I currently am using a Smartlink SX trnasmitter with a FM receiver (Microlink ML10i) I have no problems using this with my Phonak Naida UP aids. You will need a receiver for each aid if you want to hear out of both ears, otherwise one will be sufficient (I use only one). I think your audiologist needs to go back and do his/her homework. Check this Phonak site out:

Phonak hearing systems - FM SmartLink SX

Phonak hearing systems - Compatibility Guide

The latter site has a compatibility guide to match the receiver to the aids. The Transmitter site shows what receiver is compatible to the Smartlink.

I like the Smartlink SX because of the bluetooth addition, though it can become expensive to have 2 receivers with the transmitter.

I am looking into the iCom bluetooth device for the Naidas, so I can have a connection in both ears with the use of only one FM receiver. You can also use the Smartlink transmitter with this, but I hear the Inspiro is better, but have not had the privilege to try it out.

Here is the link to both the iCom and Inspiro:

Phonak - iCom

Phonak - Product News

I think the Inspiro is a little big, so the Smartlink will be a better fit.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for your help! I've found out the Smartlink will work with new FM shoes for the Naidas. Because they use the larger 675 battery, the existing FM receivers I have will not fit the Naidas.

There you go!! You'll come out cheaper too!! I know it would have cost me $25 a piece for each boot, cheaper than buying the custom ML10i receivers for up to $800 a piece.

Now that I have been talking about receivers, has anybody had any issues with the DAI connection on the FM receiver w/shoe (bending, breaking connections?)

I'm considering switching from the custom ML10i receiver to the iCom w/FM receiver. I like that I can connect to both ears with the iCom, which I think will help me clear more clearly when talking on the cell phone, playing music, etc.

How about any Smartlink users that switched to iCom?? I would love to hear about your experiences....

Any response, positive and negative, will be appreciated, as I really want my equipment to last at least 5 years or more.....

Thanks!!

I appreciate your reply......since the DAI receiver will be attached to the iCom and not the hearing aid, I was worried about it falling off....not cheap to replace :)

How about any Smartlink users that switched to iCom?? I would love to hear about your experiences....

I opted for the ML10i FM receivers, and kept the Smartlink. There's good news and bad news.

The bad: the Smartlink will no longer function as a remote for the Naidas. You must use the MyPilot remote with the fancy display. Also, I've had problems getting the ML10i receivers to switch out of Channel 1. Or one will switch and the other won't. In addition, it is literally impossible to turn off the Naidas with the ML10i receivers attached. With the new battery door, there is no "catch" to pull it open. It is absolutely smooth. The only way to turn it off is to pull it out of your ear and use 2 hands.

The good: when the Naidas are both getting the signal from the Smartlink, they sound very good. You need to make sure the audi programs an "FM only" mode, because using the Smartlink in the "automatic" mode results in FM in and out every few seconds, with the irritating beeps every time it kicks back in (on either side). It's enough to drive you to drink.

LOL, that's funny...drive you to drink......I can do that w/o the aggravation :)

Anyway, it doesn't look like the agency I deal with will want to give me 2 RF receivers....I'm hoping they will at least switch me to the iCom and an RF receiver compatible with it. All together this will give me bluetooth stereo in both aids.....and also FM connectivity in both aids. I'm hoping my audiologist is able to get the Phonak rep to bring along the iCom on my next scheduled adjustment so I can hear the difference....

Thanks for your input!!

I think the Phonak rep would be an excellent idea. This whole system is very complicated, more so than anything I've ever seen before.

Questions about Phonak Naidia

I want to thank Jenny and all of the posters to this thread.
I have read all of the discussions of getting, adjusting to, and getting the instruments fine tuned. I have some questions for members, even though it appears that there haven't been many posts recently.

First, an introduction: I was born with bi-lateral nerve loss hearing--severe to profound. 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with a vestibular schwannoma (a benign??? )tumor of the balance nerve that also compromises the auditory nerve. I had radiation on the tumor (surgery has so many potential side effects that are horrible that I chose radiation) As a result I lost the hearing in my left ear and now have hearing ONLY in my right ear.

I need to get a new hearing aid as my old one has 'bit the dust' and I am using an even older backup. I just had a hearing test done at the U of Penn audiology center in Philadelphia and the instrument the ad suggested I look at was the Phonak Naida.

I have been surprised by the trouble everyone experienced with their instruments. Now, some of that appears to be due to audiologists not being familiar with the instruments and doing poor fittings.

But others appear to be quality issues, such as having them cut out repeatedly , having the sound slowly diminish and disappear (silence!) and several of you had to send the aids back and get new ones.

Since it has been several months since everyone got their aids, I would like to know how things have turned out for you? Are your hearing aid problems resolved? Are you still using your Naida or are you using something different?

If you can take the time to reply to this, I would be most grateful.

Jim Woods

I want to thank Jenny and all of the posters to this thread.
I have read all of the discussions of getting, adjusting to, and getting the instruments fine tuned. I have some questions for members, even though it appears that there haven't been many posts recently.

First, an introduction: I was born with bi-lateral nerve loss hearing--severe to profound. 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with a vestibular schwannoma (a benign??? )tumor of the balance nerve that also compromises the auditory nerve. I had radiation on the tumor (surgery has so many potential side effects that are horrible that I chose radiation) As a result I lost the hearing in my left ear and now have hearing ONLY in my right ear.

I need to get a new hearing aid as my old one has 'bit the dust' and I am using an even older backup. I just had a hearing test done at the U of Penn audiology center in Philadelphia and the instrument the ad suggested I look at was the Phonak Naida.

I have been surprised by the trouble everyone experienced with their instruments. Now, some of that appears to be due to audiologists not being familiar with the instruments and doing poor fittings.

But others appear to be quality issues, such as having them cut out repeatedly , having the sound slowly diminish and disappear (silence!) and several of you had to send the aids back and get new ones.

Since it has been several months since everyone got their aids, I would like to know how things have turned out for you? Are your hearing aid problems resolved? Are you still using your Naida or are you using something different?

If you can take the time to reply to this, I would be most grateful.

Jim Woods

Well, I've had my Naida V UP aids since June, and the only real issue I've seen is the time it takes to get the aids configured properly. I finally have a great configuration setup, with a minor adjustment to introduce music to the hearing system.

I would suggest knowing your configuration of your aids and what it has the capacity to do. I asked for and got a hard copy of my configuration settings. This helped me research and ask the questions I needed to get ahead of the game, since if the audiologist has not had a few good Naida configurations under his/her belt, it might take a little while to train. I did have some demands for noise abatement on certain backgrounds. When the previous adjustment made me go back one step, I figured out my issue was too much bassboost. I was maxed out in the beginning, then had none at all to reduce the hums from the a/c and fans. I did get it reduced (by increasing BassBoost by only halfway), but not eliminated. The background noise is still lingering, but it's bearable and able to be ignored. The sounds I want to hear drowned the annoying sounds.

In all the configuration issues, my aids never had to be returned for repair. Some weird noise issues were a result of excessive sweating, which saturated the filters and caused the funky warbling sounds. A simple package to replace the mic filters (with extra to last for future replacements) was given to me by Phonak to solve the issue.

I also had a FM system (transmitter and 2 receivers) added to my arsenal, which added to the length of time to finally getting the correct aid configuration. The extra program added to the auto mode caused annoying beeps that I was scratching my head trying to figure out...once my audiologist turned it off from auto, the issue was solved. I can still access the FM with my two manual programs.

In summary, to have a successful fitting, I would do several things:

1.After initial fitting, get a hard copy of the Naida configuration
2.Go to the Phonak website (Professional is more detailed) to read up more on the settings
3. If in doubt about some of the configurations, email or call Phonak. I was in touch with a swedish audiologist from Phonak, he was extremely helpful and was one of the reasons my configuration was successful.
4.Document everything that worked or didn't work after each configuration. Sometimes it may take a few days for the brain to adjust to a setting. It's easier for the audiologist to adjust to another setting when they can see what your issues is on paper.
5. After the aids are finally about where you want it to be, ask for a second hard copy of your settings. Here you can compare and see what had changed and maybe you can have more suggestions to help tweak your aids into a better adjustment. (This one is what I plan to do this Tuesday- Nov 4th, with Phonak)

Hopefully this helps a little bit...

Leo

Newbie here stumbled upon the site while looking for reviews for the Naida V UP. I wasn't planning on changing my BTE HAs until a complete stranger who also wears HAs approached me and told me about the Smartlink he was using 5 months ago. Then I received a letter from the Audi that Phonax was scheduling Appt to go over new tech. couldn't resist going now I'm stunned by the advancements in the tech. It’s like I’ve been living in the Stone Age. After the standard hearing test they said I was a good candidate for the Naida V UP with iCom and the FM Transmitter due to the loss I have and my needs in everyday life. Have a hard time justifying the $5500 for it all. Insurance only good for $500 and the Audi beat Hear PO pricing. Any suggestions on how I can get this stuff cheaper?

Newbie here stumbled upon the site while looking for reviews for the Naida V UP. I wasn't planning on changing my BTE HAs until a complete stranger who also wears HAs approached me and told me about the Smartlink he was using 5 months ago. Then I received a letter from the Audi that Phonax was scheduling Appt to go over new tech. couldn't resist going now I'm stunned by the advancements in the tech. It’s like I’ve been living in the Stone Age. After the standard hearing test they said I was a good candidate for the Naida V UP with iCom and the FM Transmitter due to the loss I have and my needs in everyday life. Have a hard time justifying the $5500 for it all. Insurance only good for $500 and the Audi beat Hear PO pricing. Any suggestions on how I can get this stuff cheaper?

Through the State disabled access agency if you live in the United States. I live in Texas, so I was able to get help from the state DARS agency which I qualified for a 75% reduction in total cost of the aids and equipment. If you are overseas, then I guess eBay and other Internet companies would be a better bet if the place you reside doesn't have support.

Checked your location, you have the same support as me....check out this site:

http://www.dars.state.tx.us/dhhs/index.shtml and http://www.dars.state.tx.us/dhhs/hearingaidinfo.shtml

look for hard of hearing or rehabilitation services. Another person you can contact for more info,

Doug Dittfurth, has been tremendously helpful over the years. Here's is email address: doug.dittfurth@dars.state.tx.us

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Thank You ljjehl I will be emailing Doug this morning.
I'll get back to you on the results.

Like my Naidas, need assistives and accessories

I have been looking at whether I can use the iCom and Comfort Contego with my Naida VUP's. Does anyone have experience or know about this. It would save a lot of money.

Also I'm having problems with voices. My own and others are too deep and nasally. My initial setting was good, but in the process of changing other things we lost the natural sounding voices. Audiologist is being great, but it would help if I could be more specific when I go in for adjustments.

Back