Pharmacist arrested for killing holdup man

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well he should be unless there were other underlying circumstances like mental illness.

When you put it that way, I agree even if mental illness is a factor.

no. no. no. must everything be about mental illness? This is a pharmacist, not some crazy man. Please read this again in news - "Confronted by two holdup men, pharmacist Jerome Ersland pulled a gun, shot one of them in the head and chased the other away. Then, in a scene recorded by the drugstore's security camera, he went behind the counter, got another gun, and pumped five more bullets into the wounded teenager as he lay on the floor."

And you're telling me that he MAY have a mental illness? :roll:

He may have the "warrior gene" as found in gangs and violent men:

"Boys who carry a particular variation of the gene Monoamine oxidase A (MAOA), sometimes called the "warrior gene," are more likely not only to join gangs but also to be among the most violent members and to use weapons, according to a new study from The Florida State University that is the first to confirm an MAOA link specifically to gangs and guns."

'Warrior Gene' Linked To Gang Membership, Weapon Use

He may have the "warrior gene" as found in gangs and violent men:

"Boys who carry a particular variation of the gene Monoamine oxidase A (MAOA), sometimes called the "warrior gene," are more likely not only to join gangs but also to be among the most violent members and to use weapons, according to a new study from The Florida State University that is the first to confirm an MAOA link specifically to gangs and guns."

'Warrior Gene' Linked To Gang Membership, Weapon Use

this man is a pharmacist... not a gang drug dealer....

That's exactly what I'm telling you Jiro. You aren't a psychiatrist, so you can't conclude whether he has mental illness or not.

However, we can always speculate that he does.

If you disagree, fine. Let's leave it at that because I don't want to be reported to the mods for turning this thread into a discussion about mental illness. I simply provided my perspective on the issue -- and nothing more.

no. no. no. must everything be about mental illness? This is a pharmacist, not some crazy man. Please read this again in news - "Confronted by two holdup men, pharmacist Jerome Ersland pulled a gun, shot one of them in the head and chased the other away. Then, in a scene recorded by the drugstore's security camera, he went behind the counter, got another gun, and pumped five more bullets into the wounded teenager as he lay on the floor."

Were his actions logical? Was he a war veteran?

Even so, it is not justification. But it could be a precipitating factor.

That's right Jillio. Unless Jiro is a licensed psychiatrist, he cannot make a conclusion one way or the other. All we can do is speculate.

That's exactly what I'm telling you Jiro. You aren't a psychiatrist, so you can't conclude whether he has mental illness or not.

However, we can always speculate that he does.

If you disagree, fine. Let's leave it at that because I don't want to be reported to the mods for turning this thread into a discussion about mental illness. I simply provided my perspective on the issue -- and nothing more.

That's right Jillio. Unless Jiro is a licensed psychiatrist, he cannot make a conclusion one way or the other. All we can do is speculate.

and are you a licensed psychiatrist to make such statement as well? You think he does, I think he doesn't. We both are making assumption. Why in the world would you bring up something about licensed psychiatrist? I'm questioning your assumption just as much as you're questioning mine.

Please calm down. deep breath. take it easy.

how about..... a human error in judgment? a serious one that is. Oklahoma has the law called "MAKE MY DAY LAW" aka Castle Doctrine so he was probably not thinking clearly and probably thought what he did was justified since he was high on adrenaline.

Not everybody responds well in life and death situation. People make mistakes. IMO - this is a case of human error. a grave one...

One thing you have to think of. You know how everyone in this country is sue happy. I have heard many times of how robbers break into a house, hurt themselves or get hurt by the home owners and then the robber sues the home owners and wins. I am sorry but because of his training and because of how stupid alot of the laws have gotten he did what he had to do... Shots it the stomach were a little much I agree on that but still the death wasn't. Like previously stated. He forfeited his life when he tried to rob the place.

Anthony Douglas, president of the Oklahoma chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, called it an "execution-style murder" and praised the district attorney for bringing charges. Ersland is white; the two suspects were black.

Honestly this is rediculous, When you are in the military especially when you are an officer you serve with people from all races and you build friendships in those. This is just a simple case of someone quickly trying to wave the race flag. Some people just go overboard on this.

One thing you have to think of. You know how everyone in this country is sue happy. I have heard many times of how robbers break into a house, hurt themselves or get hurt by the home owners and then the robber sues the home owners and wins. I am sorry but because of his training and because of how stupid alot of the laws have gotten he did what he had to do... Shots it the stomach were a little much I agree on that but still the death wasn't. Like previously stated. He forfeited his life when he tried to rob the place.

that's precisely what MAKE MY DAY Law (or Castle Doctrine) protects you from. Not all states have this law or have a very very limited interpretation of this law - meaning the thugs can sue you or you can held criminally-liable depending on the situation.

that's precisely what MAKE MY DAY Law (or Castle Doctrine) protects you from. Not all states have this law or have a very very limited interpretation of this law - meaning the thugs can sue you or you can held criminally-liable depending on the situation.

but unfortunately you cant always trust the law in these matters. It is nice that they do have that law though. Infact he may have not known about that law, especially if he moved there. I don't know all the laws in the state I am in.

You seem to be saying that quite a lot these days. What's going on?

Even if I told you why I was irritable today, you'd just say I was using it as an excuse for my behavior.

I want to add one more thing. Just because he's a war veteran and he did this heinous acts doesn't really hint a possible mental illness as a precipitating factor (IMO). Why?

Look at cases of police brutality and some "overkill" action. Look at what police officers did to Rodney Kings. They beat and beat band beat this man nearly to death. Do these officers have symptom of mental illness?

what about couple weeks ago where the officers who aggressively arrested, pummeled and kicked the handcuffed guy in the head? Here's another recent news too - Caught on camera: Moment police officer kicked suspect in the head as he lay spreadeagled on the ground. Is that officer having a symptom of mental illness too? what about 5 NYPD who emptied dozens of bullets on Amadou Diallo? 10 LAPD spraying 120+ rounds into the SUV last year? mental illness, yes?

I'm not trying to say with conclusion that this pharmacist does not have mental illness but I just don't buy it. I'm just backing up my speculation with previous cases that if it happened to seasoned police officers, surely it can happen this man too - a serious lapse in judgment in life-and-death situation.

Even if I told you why I was irritable today, you'd just say I was using it as an excuse for my behavior.

You are adult enough to control yourself and to take responsibility for your action in AD. If you are feeling irritable today, then take appropriate action for that. Do not put it out on us and then blame it on your problem or medication.

It's getting very tiresome for you to tell us not to tell you what to do - even a very harmless small advice like "take a chill pill." :roll:

You are adult enough to control yourself and to take responsibility for your action in AD. If you are feeling irritable today, then take appropriate action for that. Do not put it out on us and then blame it on your problem or medication.

It's getting very tiresome for you to tell us not to tell you what to do - even a very harmless small advice like "take a chill pill." :roll:

Excuse me, but you do not know the first thing about bipolar. I've been living with this illness for 3 years, so don't tell me how to handle myself.

For your information, I can't always control my emotions. I've already taken my prescribed meds for the morning and afternoon, but they don't always help me feel better. Sue me.

Jiro,

If my posts are "tiresome" for you to read, why don't you do yourself a favor and add me to your ignore list? Problem solved.

This is all I'm going to say since it is considered :topic:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back