Percentage of adult women living with parents hits 75 year high

I'm one of those women that still live with my parents. Pushing 40 in a few years, doubt, it will change. I'm too scared to live alone

Why are you scared?

There's the whole other issue of rent/mortgage costs in urban/suburban metro societies, which is becoming increasingly unaffordable by many. Especially folks who haven't collected on a will or from family savings, inherited family business and money, and so on.
$1500-$2500 for a place in NYC, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc when it is around 40%-75% of a person's take home pay makes more sense for them to save money and live with their parents at home if they grew up around the area.

According to http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-cities-where-millennials-can-t-afford-a-home, most people aged 18-34, which I assume are the same age that lives home with parents, make on a median range of $31.9k to $53.2k across 50 major cities in the US. In some of those cities, that's laughable and nowhere near close to affording a house.

That's one problem I notice for the larger cities - lots of kids are being born into them, but as they get older they are finding decent-paying jobs that bring them to upper-middle class for those cities - to be able to afford a house or pay for ideal children-raising conditions is increasingly difficult. The next option is to move away, out of state, into a different area. Not a lot of people probably want to be too far away from family, which are often a safety net for social and economic issues that arise. That's just my line of thinking into this topic.

Even on my salary, I still couldn't afford a decent house on my own and I have a career that requires a MA degree. It is a joke!

Even on my salary, I still couldn't afford a decent house on my own and I have a career that requires a MA degree. It is a joke!

Just curious, did you get entire of federal student loans waived for working at public school in low income neighborhood?

I know some families with MA and still struggle with life, that's sad.

i left home at 19 and being alone ever since. Bought a place to be own. love my home ever since. my life is not easy but i made it through in a long way.

I think the longer independent living is delayed, the harder it is to step out.
probably true.

As much as I love my parents and relatives... I would rather live on my own in my own space. But... I don't have a choice right now at least until I find work or win the lottery.

probably true.

As much as I love my parents and relatives... I would rather live on my own in my own space. But... I don't have a choice right now at least until I find work or win the lottery.

Same here due to medical issue - it make harder for me to live independently.

It will be nice if there is cure.

If I'm healthy person so I will be independent by now.

Same here due to medical issue - it make harder for me to live independently.

It will be nice if there is cure.

If I'm healthy person so I will be independent by now.
Do you think you could transition to semi-independence? Like, getting an apartment near to or attached to a relative's house. You would be responsible for your own daily life but still have family nearby when needed.

Do you think you could transition to semi-independence? Like, getting an apartment near to or attached to a relative's house. You would be responsible for your own daily life but still have family nearby when needed.

I tried by went to Gallaudet twice but got sick and lost much of control so I'm scared to go on my own right now, also I don't want live in apartment.

I'm responsible for much expenses, but most of time, my family provide dinners and sometime, breakfast and live with them for shelter.

I'm still figure about resolve the medical issue, that's not related to deaf and low vision.

I tried by went to Gallaudet twice but got sick and lost much of control so I'm scared to go on my own right now, also I don't want live in apartment.

I'm responsible for much expenses, but most of time, my family provide dinners and sometime, breakfast and live with them for shelter.

I'm still figure about resolve the medical issue, that's not related to deaf and low vision.

Sometimes we have to do things not because we want to but because they are necessary in order for us to grow.

When I left home it wasn't because my parents forced me or even suggested it. I left because I knew I must do something. I was terrified, and it wasn't at all comfortable or easy but it was part of the growing up process. It was a daily struggle but it matured and strengthened me.

Sometimes we have to do things not because we want to but because they are necessary in order for us to grow.

When I left home it wasn't because my parents forced me or even suggested it. I left because I knew I must do something. I was terrified, and it wasn't at all comfortable or easy but it was part of the growing up process. It was a daily struggle but it matured and strengthened me.

When I was healthy person with no Rx medicines, I had daily struggle and it wasn't fun to live with little money, even I ate Ramen noodles, lunch meats and drink milk without issue. I went to work and did everything fine, despite about accidents that related to low vision.

Until 2009, I got sick from food poisoning and my doctor told me about possibility from e coli (undercooked meat at fast food), but I didn't went to see doctor after diarrhea and nausea won't stop after 7 days, but it was too late for stool test. After e coli was gone, I have complication from food poisoning so it is already ruin my intestine's gut and I cannot eat Ramen noodles, lunch meats and drink milk anymore because I got sick from those food. I'm very frustrated at one of fast food that ruined my life and I have to pay more for monthly treatment, but they are not best and it still provide some functions. I have good days sometime, but many of them are so-so to bad.

My doctor told me that I'm better off to stay with parents until I could find way to resolve or find a cure - in case if it is miracle. My illness have reduced much of SGA to make unable to work, even if I'm not deaf and low vision. I went thorough with different doctors but they are pretty same.

Excuse me for TMI and that's very long story.

Just curious, did you get entire of federal student loans waived for working at public school in low income neighborhood?

I know some families with MA and still struggle with life, that's sad.

I have to work there for at least 5 years to qualify. In my 2nd year now and by that time, I probably would have my student loan paid off as I have been paying for it for about 15 years now. I wish I can get it waived now but I am lucky that I set the minimum payment so low so it is not a huge bill like my credit cards are. Those are the ones I am working hard to get paid off.

If I had never married my hubby, I probably would have moved back to AZ and lived with my mom since the cost of living is just so ridiculously high here in MD.

I have to work there for at least 5 years to qualify. In my 2nd year now and by that time, I probably would have my student loan paid off as I have been paying for it for about 15 years now. I wish I can get it waived now but I am lucky that I set the minimum payment so low so it is not a huge bill like my credit cards are. Those are the ones I am working hard to get paid off.
Is it a federal student loan? Have you looked into public service forgiveness, it applies for educators. You can get your loans forgiven for working at least 10 years in the field.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/teacher

Back