Percentage of adult women living with parents hits 75 year high

If you're not a parent you wouldn't understand wanting to help your child out in hard times .

That's sad about some people don't care if anyone have hardship. :(

Due to condition of economic and political status, there is no way to expect that children will be successful - it is hit or miss.

Hmm... Some say let them stay for hardship... Some say kick them out... Personally I believe if you raise them right they will hit the ground just fine... Yet, if you look at the kids who stay home longer they tend to do better than the ones that are ritually kicked out at 18... Yet, to just let a child stay a child is a disservice to the next generation... It is bad enough that recent generations are coming up so entitled and lazy... Let them learn to support their self be it at home or else where.... A parents job is never done; yet a parent should not have to keep supporting a child because s/he is too lazy to get a job or go to school... Help and support are two different things...

Hmm... Some say let them stay for hardship... Some say kick them out... Personally I believe if you raise them right they will hit the ground just fine... Yet, if you look at the kids who stay home longer they tend to do better than the ones that are ritually kicked out at 18... Yet, to just let a child stay a child is a disservice to the next generation... It is bad enough that recent generations are coming up so entitled and lazy... Let them learn to support their self be it at home or else where.... A parents job is never done; yet a parent should not have to keep supporting a child because s/he is too lazy to get a job or go to school... Help and support are two different things...

Kick 18 years old female out has a lot of risk - they could end up to be kidnapped and victim of human trafficking, or victim of violent crime.

When women got free from human trafficking and they have deal with trauma for rest of their life, that affect quality of life.

I know most young adults prefer to live on own and they don't want deal with family issues and drama.

Kick 18 years old female out has a lot of risk - they could end up to be kidnapped and victim of human trafficking, or victim of violent crime.

When women got free from human trafficking and they have deal with trauma for rest of their life, that affect quality of life.

I know most young adults prefer to live on own and they don't want deal with family issues and drama.

And yet I was kicked out at 14.... Hmm I did just fine... It is all a manner of the child and parenting up to the point of getting kicked out

And yet I was kicked out at 14.... Hmm I did just fine... It is all a manner of the child and parenting up to the point of getting kicked out

It don't minimize the risk of human trafficking - they are big problem right now.

It could happen to any women.

It don't minimize the risk of human trafficking - they are big problem right now.

It could happen to any women.

Any one... Boys are at risk as well... While girls are more in the light... Boys sell well just not as high as girls...

Any one... Boys are at risk as well... While girls are more in the light... Boys sell well just not as high as girls...

They are less common when compare to girls and women.

Homeless at 16..and I did alright!...Still doing alright on my own....wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't believe in "coddling" the child...giving them a good direction in Life, knowing the bills come first than the "party" time....and saving $$, no matter how little....

Homeless at 16..and I did alright!...Still doing alright on my own....wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't believe in "coddling" the child...giving them a good direction in Life, knowing the bills come first than the "party" time....and saving $$, no matter how little....

Your old time is different and the human trafficking didn't become epidemic until 90s.

I don't blame on fathers for overprotecting their daughters and the children are part of their passion.

Also, back in 1950s, there were a lot of decent jobs for anyone without college degree and they could become self-sufficient and live on own or getting married - that's not same anymore today.

An adult child that take advantage of the situation should be to told to go find a job and help around the house . Sometime an adult child moved back home to help their parents so they can keep on living in their home. It not always the child that getting the support it's the parents who need it.

The funny thing is, when I was a young struggling adult it never occurred to me to ask my parents if I could come home to them.

The day our daughter was married we turned her bedroom into a home office--we didn't expect her back. It's been over 22 years since then and she's never come home to live. I don't think it's ever crossed her mind, even when they had financial struggles. They worked it out themselves.

I think there's a difference between young people who leave home and then come back later, and those who haven't yet left home in the first place.

My sister moved out of my parent's house in 2013 and became nearly full self support (90%) and live with her boyfriend, but when she's 26, she will be 100% - that what parents told her.

One of my good friend from Miami is 30s and live with his mother and sister, but he's fully self-support and he said it is very hard to find a good place in Miami because of too many people live in rental properties, also it is very crowding.

If you are healthy adult and become full self support so there's not issue if they want live with parents for shelter purpose to save money, also save the space for needy people without family to rent the one bedroom apartment. The apartments are getting filled and difficult to find vacant room and landlords won't build more apartments to meet the demand, also rent is going up and up.

Other issue, some cities don't want apartments and rental properties in their city, that's hurt everyone because they need housing and that's changing a lot after they lost houses to foreclosure.

In here, most apartments are crime ridden, that's not same like 25 years ago when families with children lived in apartment for short time before they could find a house.

After leaving home for college I never lived with my parents again except for a few weeks trying to move from one place to another (closing dates didn't line up.)

There's the whole other issue of rent/mortgage costs in urban/suburban metro societies, which is becoming increasingly unaffordable by many. Especially folks who haven't collected on a will or from family savings, inherited family business and money, and so on.
$1500-$2500 for a place in NYC, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc when it is around 40%-75% of a person's take home pay makes more sense for them to save money and live with their parents at home if they grew up around the area.

According to http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-cities-where-millennials-can-t-afford-a-home, most people aged 18-34, which I assume are the same age that lives home with parents, make on a median range of $31.9k to $53.2k across 50 major cities in the US. In some of those cities, that's laughable and nowhere near close to affording a house.

That's one problem I notice for the larger cities - lots of kids are being born into them, but as they get older they are finding decent-paying jobs that bring them to upper-middle class for those cities - to be able to afford a house or pay for ideal children-raising conditions is increasingly difficult. The next option is to move away, out of state, into a different area. Not a lot of people probably want to be too far away from family, which are often a safety net for social and economic issues that arise. That's just my line of thinking into this topic.

That's not always true.

Some young adults have to stay with parents due to poor economic condition or limited opportunities and they cannot afford to move out to live on their own.

Not all people have luck.

Move into parents for temporary until young adult get their feet up and move out. Good.

Move into parents and crossing the finger until parents die and get free house. Bad.

That's how I see. Oh... Does I sound cold? :o

Move into parents for temporary until young adult get their feet up and move out. Good.

Move into parents and crossing the finger until parents die and get free house. Bad.

You don't understand about different situations.

Read #32

In some cases even if the young (or older...) adult IS able to have a job it doesn't mean that they'll be able to live on their own with the salary they have. As noted in Naisho's post- their salary could be super but the cost of living- rent or mortgage will gobble up more than half their monthly take home pay- San Francisco and Seattle are prime examples of this. My friend (who I know would love for me to move to WA) is actively convincing me NOT to move there because the cost of living is sky high even for a median salary for a QA Tester. Anywhere you find a great deal of tech companies- you may find out of reach costs. So it does make sense for a kid to live with parents or other relatives. Same with those who are looking for work- some of whom may have been looking for over a year or more.

Now the idea of "well the kids that are just living there biding their time waiting for parents to die..." that could happen and in that case it's more to do with greed than anything else not a desperate situation where if they didn't have family, they'd be living on the streets or a shelter.

I'm one of those women that still live with my parents. Pushing 40 in a few years, doubt, it will change. I'm too scared to live alone

Parents want to be alone for each other. They deserve it after raise kids.

That's what I am hoping for with my hubby in about 15 years. Hope our 2 kids are living on their own and my roommate and her 2 kids on their own. 7 people live in this house now. I love everyone but my house is not made for that many people to reside in. Lol

Back