Pepsi's New Super Bowl Deaf Ad

Good letters, Ladies! I just tried, and I can't get to my sentmail box from this computer. (I'm at my 2nd job.) Iwill post mine as soon as I get home in the morning!

Good letters, Ladies! I just tried, and I can't get to my sentmail box from this computer. (I'm at my 2nd job.) Iwill post mine as soon as I get home in the morning!

Go get some rest and have a refreshed mind to tackle on these issues. :)

You girls did great, I'll think of an email to send them. give me some time, then I'll post it here, only if I'm not too shy to. heh

Shel, ya should have CCed Pepsi, lol. I sent Pepsi an e-mail the other day and got a nice e-mail response back from them today.

You girls did great, I'll think of an email to send them. give me some time, then I'll post it here, only if I'm not too shy to. heh

If it'll make ya feel better, just e-mail Pepsi and thank them for the ASL commercial to be aired pre-game tomorrow.

Ok here is my letter...like Deafskeptic who fumbled with the spelling error, I forgot to put my paragragh indexing...oh well.

This was what I sent to AGBell...

To whom it may concern,

I read about your protest against the Super Bowl ad showing two deaf men chatting away in ASL. I want to know why you are protesting against it and what is so bad about ASL. Many of us in the Deaf community value ASL and are proud that our heritage is being shown to the public for more public awareness. Your protest just reinforces the misconceptions of oral as being better than signing.

I want you to know one thing about me. I was raised completely oral despite my severe profound hearing loss in both ears. I was forbidded to use sign language and to be exposed to the Deaf community for fear that it would impede my oral development. Well, as a result, I suffered greatly in an education environment that was extremely restrictive for me so I suffered serious self-esteem issues because I could not understand everything that was being said around me. I felt that it was my fault for not trying hard enough to be "hearing".

Then, I learned ASL in my 20s...it was like a door to multiple opportunities finally opened up to me. One of them and perhaps the most important was the ability to connect fully with others. Now, ASL is a vital part of my life and I value it deeply. I wouldnt be where I am without ASL..a successful career woman who is very happy and content with herself as a deaf person.

This Super Bowl ad represents many of us who share that connection and for you to protest against it makes many of us very angry and resentful.

Please just respect our language and culture. Just leave it alone. You had your limelight for years...now it is our turn. Just leave it alone for once and all.
Thank you,

Hear, hear!

If it'll make ya feel better, just e-mail Pepsi and thank them for the ASL commercial to be aired pre-game tomorrow.

I posted a link to email pepsi in the thread I started in Deaf Culture: NAD on Pepsico.

Video for Superbowl (ASL)

Hi everyone!

I got this from a friend and I thought I'd share! Enjoy! I quote the following:

"FYI, one of two guys graduated from Clarke School for the Deaf in Northhampton, Mass in 1978. His name is Darren Therriault from Chicago. It will be the first time in history for Super Bowl to advertise a commercial with ASL and no sounds. It will be fun watching that ad on Feb. 3.

Bob's House -- Pepsi's new Super Bowl Ad
YouTube - Bob's House -- Pepsi's new Super Bowl Ad

Bob's House -- Behind the Scenes of a Super Bowl Ad
YouTube - Bob's House -- Behind the Scenes of a Super Bowl Ad

It goes like this: Two guys are driving to their friend's house to watch the Super Bowl. Once they get to Bob's street, neither knows which house is his. They sit in the car, arguing, until one of them has an idea. He starts laying on the horn, and one by one, the houses light up and dogs start barking.

One house stays dark and quiet: It's Bob's.

Deaf people will be falling out of their chairs in disbelief, National Association of the Deaf president Bobbie Beth Scoggins wrote in an e-mail response to questions. Hearing people, Scoggins wrote, will stop what they're doing to see why there are no sounds. She believes it's an historic first for an ad featuring American Sign Language to get such prominent play.

I was glad to see this part of the deaf culture awareness shared in a most clever way," Scoggins, who is deaf, wrote by e-mail as she was traveling.

Broussard, who plays Bob in the commercial, has worked for PepsiCo in Dallas for 27 years. He got involved in the deaf community through a church he and his wife attended, where the services were conducted entirely in sign language. Broussard is not deaf.

The two actors who play Bob's friends - Brian Dowling and Darren Therriault - are also PepsiCo employees, and are deaf. Dowling works for Frito-Lay in Arizona, and Therriault works for PepsiCo in Chicago.

Broussard worked on the ad concept on his own time. He said, "This was all extra credit."

It was 18 months before he showed it to senior managers, who decided they wanted it for the Super Bowl.

The ad was directed by Baker Smith, with creative help from BBDO-NY, A PepsiCo spokeswoman declined to say how much the ad cost."

As promised, here is a copy of the email I sent to A.G. Bell a couple of days ago:

Thank you for showing the citizens of the U.S. and Canada an example of
ethnocentrism, bigotry, and discrimination in all its glory. Now the people
know the true philosophies guiding the organization of A.G. Bell. Quite
obviously, the more modern administration is no less a eugenicist than A.G
Bell himself.

If you want a commercial that portrays oral deaf, then get off your lazy butts
and contract for one. The stand you have taken against PepsiCo's wonderful
and enlightening ad is petty, childish, and ridicuals. Get over yourselves.

The video has been :repost: in few other threads

As promised, here is a copy of the email I sent to A.G. Bell a couple of days ago:

Bell himself.

LOL!

Shel, ya should have CCed Pepsi, lol. I sent Pepsi an e-mail the other day and got a nice e-mail response back from them today.

Yea, I should have. Never got a response from AGBell. At least Pepsi acknowledges those who email them.

I will email Pepsi.

Bell himself.

:h5: jillio!!

Back