People who say "What, What?" to deaf person

mshel

Reaction score
I have a question for everyone. What is your opinion of hearing people who tell deaf people "What, what, what?" thinking it's a funny thing to do? Do you think it's funny? Or do you find it rude and insensitive? I find that attitude in several of my co-workers (these people know I am deaf but don't know me very well). I need to get a feel of the average opinion so I can educate them if I need to. Let me know, and thank you for your answers.:dunno::shrug:

thank you, I think so also but wanted to be sure I wasn't being overly sensitive as they said.

UGH!!! **smh**

sounds really definitely rude and insensitive...

Hate that people do that... making us look idiot!

I saw you said that you are an RN. Are people seriously this old and still can't grow up?
Can you go in detail over how they performing the gesture? This is important for my evaluation as well.

I'm not deaf, rather HH but I used to get this all the time in elementary to high school. There was a specific kid that just loved to torture me with "Huh? HUH!??" remarks and "What, Whaaaaaat..?" It kind of died down after high school was over. I got angry and fistfought him a few times, fast forward to high school my close friends stuck up for me.

Some people feel the need to be superior than others, so they'll express it in the most inconceivable methods. Sad take on it is that their view of life is very basic to an extent and the progression for them is linear and thin.

I have a question for everyone. What is your opinion of hearing people who tell deaf people "What, what, what?" thinking it's a funny thing to do? Do you think it's funny? Or do you find it rude and insensitive? I find that attitude in several of my co-workers (these people know I am deaf but don't know me very well). I need to get a feel of the average opinion so I can educate them if I need to. Let me know, and thank you for your answers.:dunno::shrug:

Funny? Nope, It isn't funny at all - to me that is.

When I first started working at my employer 3 years ago, Some of my co-workers were getting along with me but as the rest; I often found them to be mocking some stuffs that I do. For instance, If I didn't understand what they were saying, I'd be like "What?" or "Huh?". They would mock and say "What? What? What?". I didn't like it at all for what they did. So, I took it up to the supervisor and explained her the situation.

The supervisor was very understanding of the situation which is a good thing because in the end, the group that was mocking me changed for the better. Now they are able to have patience with me when I don't understand what they are saying. Some of them are even already learning ASL. :)

thank you, I think so also but wanted to be sure I wasn't being overly sensitive as they said.

absolutely not. I don't like that at all and I make very very sure that it is rude and they are not to do it again. In fact - this kind of behavior at work is, I believe, illegal. Please do tell your co-worker not to do it again. If it continues - bring it up to your supervisor.

absolutely not. I don't like that at all and I make very very sure that it is rude and they are not to do it again. In fact - this kind of behavior at work is, I believe, illegal. Please do tell your co-worker not to do it again. If it continues - bring it up to your supervisor.

What he siad. I believe their rude behavior makes for a hostile work enviroment for you. Could be grounds for disciplinary action.

Thanks

I really appreciate all your comments. Thanks for the support. I do think it's very rude and told him so but he thought I was being overly sensitive. I am glad to know I am not alone in feeling the way I do.:grouphug:

I guess it depends on what happened.

Let's suppose this other person's name is Bob...

Bob says something to me and I didn't quite understand what he said. So, I reply... "What?" He replies back to me with, "What, what, what?" Then that would be him mimicking me and being rude.

Bob walks up to me and says, "What, what, what?" I would just look at him with a puzzled look and say back to him... "What, what, what, what?" After all, he's the one who isn't making sense.

I really appreciate all your comments. Thanks for the support. I do think it's very rude and told him so but he thought I was being overly sensitive. I am glad to know I am not alone in feeling the way I do.:grouphug:

He sounds like a total jerk. :roll:

details

Ok, so that you all know...the exact details (minus real names) are as follows...I was working. A new doctor that I had not met yet walked in. I introduced myself, and asked what her name was. I couldn't hear part of her last name since it is mostly consonents that I can't hear. I asked her to please repeat what she said, I still could not make it out. I asked her if she could please spell it for me. She offered to write it down. I said thank you. I went on to explain to her (since she looked puzzled) that i am deaf and was having a difficult time with her last name. I told her this so she didn't assume I was stupid. And to keep the lines of communication open in case I had trouble again. The anesthesiologist behind me yelled out my name and when I turned around he looked at me with a facial expression a baby would define as "DUHHHHHH" and said to me "What?, what? what? what?" I asked him if he thought that was supposed to be funny to which he said sure is and laughed. I said that I found it rude and mocking and asked him if he would laugh at a blind person if they had bumped into an object. Then asked him why he thought it so funny to mockingly belittle me for something I have no control over. He said to me I was being overly sensitive. I said I don't find it funny to mock someone for a limitation they were born with, it was a rude thing for him to have done. So thats the entire event(so far...) Does this change anyones opinion of this behaviour? Let me know.

That just confirms for me that that was extremely insensitive and rude on his part. <mad>

Ok, so that you all know...the exact details (minus real names) are as follows...I was working. A new doctor that I had not met yet walked in. I introduced myself, and asked what her name was. I couldn't hear part of her last name since it is mostly consonents that I can't hear. I asked her to please repeat what she said, I still could not make it out. I asked her if she could please spell it for me. She offered to write it down. I said thank you. I went on to explain to her (since she looked puzzled) that i am deaf and was having a difficult time with her last name. I told her this so she didn't assume I was stupid. And to keep the lines of communication open in case I had trouble again. The anesthesiologist behind me yelled out my name and when I turned around he looked at me with a facial expression a baby would define as "DUHHHHHH" and said to me "What?, what? what? what?" I asked him if he thought that was supposed to be funny to which he said sure is and laughed. I said that I found it rude and mocking and asked him if he would laugh at a blind person if they had bumped into an object. Then asked him why he thought it so funny to mockingly belittle me for something I have no control over. He said to me I was being overly sensitive. I said I don't find it funny to mock someone for a limitation they were born with, it was a rude thing for him to have done. So thats the entire event(so far...) Does this change anyones opinion of this behaviour? Let me know.

No it doesn't. In fact, it reinforces the fact that he's a bigger jerk than i initially thought. Please discuss with the supervisor. There's just no excuse for his conduct.

i probably would have smacked them upside the head. even if i did get fired or put in jail it still would have felt good!:cool2: theres no sense in doing something like that. its just wrong. being in the medical field youd think someone would be more receptive or open minded about these things. like ren told stimpy...

stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimpy!(stimpy) you eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddiot! (idiot)

Very rude and very unprofessional. He seems to have forgotten that he is no longer in an elementary school playground anymore. Maybe tell him to return to elementary school if he misses this kind of junevile behavior so much.

Ahah, the new doctor one. That one will never go away. My advice to just let it go. If it happens twice, take note. Respect may take one day longer for us to obtain in the hospital, but also tougher to lose it after you obtain it :) It is much interesting nursing career I have had since I thought it would be, but wouldn't trade a minute back with the path chosen for me.

Ok, so that you all know...the exact details (minus real names) are as follows...I was working. A new doctor that I had not met yet walked in. I introduced myself, and asked what her name was. I couldn't hear part of her last name since it is mostly consonents that I can't hear. I asked her to please repeat what she said, I still could not make it out. I asked her if she could please spell it for me. She offered to write it down. I said thank you. I went on to explain to her (since she looked puzzled) that i am deaf and was having a difficult time with her last name. I told her this so she didn't assume I was stupid. And to keep the lines of communication open in case I had trouble again. The anesthesiologist behind me yelled out my name and when I turned around he looked at me with a facial expression a baby would define as "DUHHHHHH" and said to me "What?, what? what? what?" I asked him if he thought that was supposed to be funny to which he said sure is and laughed. I said that I found it rude and mocking and asked him if he would laugh at a blind person if they had bumped into an object. Then asked him why he thought it so funny to mockingly belittle me for something I have no control over. He said to me I was being overly sensitive. I said I don't find it funny to mock someone for a limitation they were born with, it was a rude thing for him to have done. So thats the entire event(so far...) Does this change anyones opinion of this behaviour? Let me know

Excuse me, but if I understand you post -- The doctor was standing there the entire time the anesthesiologist was doing this -- And the doctor said NOTHING?

Are you sure it is the anesthesiologist's behavior you should be concerned with -- Or the doctor's?

i've never been mocked for being hh/deaf or even blind, but i have been in the past because of my bipolar. fortunately, that hasn't happened to me in quite awhile. people who do such things are the ones who have the problem -- not you or i.

Back